WiFi Connectivity

artto

I've observed what I consider rather strange/odd behavior with WiFi/internet radio on a new receiver I'm evaluating. The receiver has built-in WiFi. The antenna is internal, no "rabbit ears" externally. When the volume is turned up loud enough, the WiFi connection stays connected. However if I have the volume at a lower level (the threshold not determined yet) internet radio will play for a couple hours then disconnect. I have to turn off the receiver & reboot it, the receiver re-initializes and the internet radio goes into buffering and the radio station is back on. What I find even more interesting is when I turned the volume down to a lower level (after everything was playing for for many hours at a higher level) the AVR WiFi disconnected almost immediately. It reminds me of when you have a very small break in a physical connection, say a fuse holder that has a slight unnoticeable crack in it so that it doesn't quite hold the fuse tight enough causing the signal to become intermittent or go out entirely at low levels but at higher levels there's enough current/voltage to "jump" the break and make the connection. I would think that wouldn't be an issue with wireless.

Any thoughts?

What type of receiver? 

What is your ISP speed level DL MBPS & UL MBPS?  This problem sounds a bit strange, I would hard wire it if you have alot of things going wireless. 

Check for wireless interference (appliances. (download wifi analyzer app if you have an android) this will show all the wireless the area and what channel they use.

If the receiver is far away from your router, maybe use an extender

What type of receiver? 

What is your ISP speed level DL MBPS & UL MBPS?  This problem sounds a bit strange, I would hard wire it if you have alot of things going wireless. 

Check for wireless interference (appliances. (download wifi analyzer app if you have an android) this will show all the wireless the area and what channel they use.

It's one of the Onkyo I've been testing, a TX-NR636.

I agree with everything you mention ~ done all that already. I wanted to keep that out of the equation for now. I know I have some WiFi issues which are slowly getting resolved. I already use a repeater for the main 2Ch system downstairs. And I know there's a lot of steel things between the main router and the rest of the house (steel shelves in closets, vertical cold air return/air ducts, kitchen appliances, steel beams & posts).

I didn't experience this with a Denon AVR-X1100W I'm also evaluating. The Denon has external rabbit ears. I have an Onkyo TX-NR838 on the way. Should be here Tuesday. It also has rabbit ears. Should be interesting to see what happens.

I just thought it was strange that the sound gain level would affect WiFi connectivity - as if it weren't drawing enough current to jump the break "so to speak" in a physical connection (as an analogy). 

• Like 1

What type of receiver? 

I agree with everything you mention ~ done all that already. I wanted to keep that out of the equation for now. I know I have some WiFi issues which are slowly getting resolved. I already use a repeater for the main 2Ch system downstairs. And I know there's a lot of steel things between the main router and the rest of the house (steel shelves in closets, vertical cold air return/air ducts, kitchen appliances, steel beams & posts).

I didn't experience this with a Denon AVR-X1100W I'm also evaluating. The Denon has external rabbit ears. I have an Onkyo TX-NR838 on the way. Should be here Tuesday. It also has rabbit ears. Should be interesting to see what happens.

I just thought it was strange that the sound gain level would affect WiFi connectivity - as if it weren't drawing enough current to jump the break "so to speak" in a physical connection (as an analogy). 

I am using the exact same receiver

What type of receiver? 

TX-NR626 I mean one step below the 636 has the Atmos feature.

What type of receiver? 

TX-NR626 I mean one step below the 636 has the Atmos feature.

Onkyo may some strange problem with their design where the volume affects the signal strength of the wireless could be a engineering flaw or shorcut they took.  I will try mine on wireless and see.

I just put the router where the HT is and hardwire to router to the avr/BDP.  I put a plug in extender module of the other levels of the home.  This seem to work without dropouts or any buffering delays.

That's great but I can't/don't want to do that (ethernet). After all, that's why I want a receiver with built-in wireless  ;)

Actually, I have an extender/repeater already installed at that end of the house but it's downstairs with the main system in the listening room. When I run network setup on the receiver it sees the main router, and a number of other nearby networks, but not the repeater. The repeater is setup with the same ID as the main router but with the extension _RE.

Maybe I should run setup again and this time select OTHER and see if the repeater shows up.

The Playstation which is a few feet away connects with the main router OK and it too has an internal antenna. Both the Playstation and AVR are above the room with the repeater, although the repeater is at the opposite side of the room below.

Edited by artto

The AVR stayed WiFi connected for a few hours this morning. Before I went out to run some errands I lowered the volume on the AVR. Came back 2 hours later and sure enough, it disconnected.

And once it disconnects, simply selecting "NET" will not reconnect it. The AVR has to be turned off/on and it immediately starts re-buffering the station after the AVR has initialized.

What type of receiver? 

Artto, I cannot imagine how volume level would interact with wifi and cause shutdown. If shutdown is only occurring during internet access at low volumes I would conclude some sort of software issue is ordering shutdown and not the wifi per se.  it could also be some sort of internal RF leakage issue at lower volumes, is the volume transformer based?  wierd.  T

Edited by sunnysal

sounds like when you increase the sound level, the wifi is running at maximum power/range level, while reducing the power/gain when it's running at low volume. It doesn't make sense, but seems like Onkyo engineers have created a bug in their algorithm. If you like the sonic signature of the Onkyo with your set up then find out if they've a fix released through firmware update.

Had long talk with Onkyo tech support. They too thought it was unique issue & suggested a firmware update.

I updated the firmware and thought that fixed the issue. The WiFi internet radio stayed connected from 1am  until 7am this morning at minimum volume. But alas, today it stayed connected for about 3 hours then disconnected again. The signal strength is adequate at 74%. This last disconnection I had a different radio station on. I put it back on the station that stayed connected all night to see what happens.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR838 on the way which should be here tomorrow. It has external WiFi antenna/rabbit ears. OTOH, maybe there's just something wrong with this particular unit.

In the meantime I'm going to plug-in the Denon AVR-X1100W right next to the Onkyo and see what happens with these two side by side.

Edited by artto
  • Like 1

I just setup the Denon AVR-X1100W (WiFi rabbit ears) and interestingly the network setup shows signal at 100% (as opposed to 73% to 76% on the Onkyo). The Denon also recognizes my repeater/extender which is closer to the receivers than the main router. The Onkyo doesn't even see the repeater. Should be interesting to see if the Denon stays connected and the Onkyo fails again.

If the Denon were HDCP 2.2 compliant, or HDCP 2.2 were up-gradable  (which it isn't, it's hardware, not firmware) I'd just keep the Denon.

Let the games begin!!!!

Edited by artto

After several hours the Onkyo disconnected from the network again. The Denon continued to stay connected all day & evening until I turned it off 10 hours later.

Just for kicks I'm going to bring the Onkyo 636 in my office where the router is & see what happens.