WiFi Connectivity

artto

Sounds like the Denon has the scoop on network connectivity!

I'm hoping it has more to do with the internal WiFi antenna on the Onkyo verses the external rabbit ears on the Denon providing better reception. I know there's a lot of steel between the router in my office and the living room at the other end of the house.

Sounds like the Denon has the scoop on network connectivity!

I'm hoping it has more to do with the internal WiFi antenna on the Onkyo verses the external rabbit ears on the Denon providing better reception. I know there's a lot of steel between the router in my office and the living room at the other end of the house.

I'm sorry Artto, where's my brain?  I guess I wasn't thinking when you mentioned you had an Onky 636, I know exactly what you have. 

What you are experiencing is the common HDMI board failure.  The network connectivity problem is a symptom of the board's failure.  You wouldn't think network and HDMI problems would go together, but in this case it does.

Here is a link to the Onkyo website where you can get your 636 taken care of under warranty.  Onk has extended the warranty to 2018:

http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.

We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.

To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:

1. Verify if your Onkyo receiver is impacted

2. Decide how you prefer to address the issue

3. Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you

As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited w

Edited by wvu80

Hmmm.....that's fascinating, although the service notice you've quoted predates the manufacture of the TX-NR636. But still, that doesn't mean its not happening again or that this isn't the issue I'm having.

As I mentioned earlier I moved the 636 into office where it's only 5 or 6 feet from the router and it still disconnected after a few hours, so there's definitely something wrong.

I just got the TX-NR838 and have it up & running, not long enough to determine anything yet. However during initial setup I could page through the Networks, and see many more networks than I could with the 636, including my repeater/extender. With the 636 I could see what was listed on what would be the first page so to speak. I couldn't page down and see more. And the 838 is showing signal strength via the repeater of 95%-100% whereas the 636 was about 75% from the main router.

And FWIW, I know this seems strange, but I'd swear the 838 just plain sounds better, even with internet radio. It reminds me more of what I hear on the main system. I'll do more extensive listening & setup tomorrow. I want to make sure the WiFi issue is cleared up first.

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb, and hopefully not put the proverbial salesman's curse on this, but the Onkyo TX-NR838 WiFi internet radio has stayed connected for about 6 hours today and 4 hours yesterday while also steaming WiFi to the NAD C446 Digital Media Tuner in the main system/listening room downstairs, along with the laptop and tablet using the wireless home network.

I had the Onkyo TX-NR636 in my office yesterday, about 5-6 feet from the main router and it lost WiFi connectivity even at that close distance after a couple hours. Obviously something wrong.

So I guess (as of right now) I'm keeping the TX-NR838. It's a lot more $ but it's doing what I want.

And, not sure why, it seems to sound better. I don't see anything in the specs that would influence that other than more power. But with Klipsch Chorus for the mains & RC7 center & surrounds & SVS PC2000 sub, power shouldn't be an issue. I hate to use subjective audiophile terms but compared to the TX-NR636, Denon AVR-X1100W or the Pioneer SC-63, the 838 seems to have better transparency & more "air", better sound stage and less of that metallic/siblence type of sound. Maybe it's just the settings? I'll have to play around with that more.

I also prefer Onkyo's new AccuEQ room calibration over Audyssey as in previous models or some other brands.

The new Onkyo are to my knowledge the only AVR out there right now with built-in WiFi AND HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant ports making them somewhat future proof with UHD/4K TV and sources for the time being.

I got the 838 from Crutchfield and as usual their customer service is superb. I ordered it late Friday evening and Tuesday morning it was here with free shipping. It was an open box item so even though the manufacturer warranty still applies I bought the 4 year warranty and the usual 60 money back guarantee still applies. IMO Crutchfield is the gold standard when it comes to online retailers. SVS is the same.

Hmmm.....that's fascinating, although the service notice you've quoted predates the manufacture of the TX-NR636. But still, that doesn't mean its not happening again or that this isn't the issue I'm having.

You are 100% right!  I wasn't paying enough attention to the model year.  An ancestor to your 636 was the 616, which was covered.  Is your 636 still covered by warranty?

The reason I ask is that even though I own and love my Onk 717, I don't recommend Onk products until I hear users such as yourself stop reporting the same network/audio problems they had 4 years ago.

I agree with you the the Onk 838 is better in every way than the 636 and lower models, it's not just your imagination.  B)

Edited by wvu80

I have an Onkyo 708, it runs sometimes 12+ hrs a day, if that don't prove they don't all have an hdmi issue what would? This radio is like 4 or 5 years old. It sounds like maybe artto could have just got a glitched unit. I would also think that a radio at twice or more the price of another would offer some sonic improvement.

On another note, did you set the Onkyo to stay connected to the internet? Mine has an option to be ready to go, no connecting or buffering, it just comes on. When set to off it must connect, then buffer etc... before it comes on.

WOW. Got a scare. Almost thought the proverbial salesman's curse had kicked in. I went to the store, came back, and the internet radio station was gone. I tried a couple other stations & they played. I didn't have to turn the 838 off and then on again to re-initialize the AVR either. So I went to the listening room and turned on the NAD digital media tuner and it wouldn't connect to that station either. So the present issue is the station. Funny how multiple issues can through you off scent.

WVU80 I'm glad you think it's not my imagination because I really like the Onkyo TX-NR838. I can hear the difference even when not directly in front of the speakers. Everything I've listened to so far (which admittedly isn't much) sounds better. Can't wait to watch/listen to some BluRay. I think I'll go for Skyfall and the battle on the moor.

I have an Onkyo 708, it runs sometimes 12+ hrs a day, if that don't prove they don't all have an hdmi issue what would? This radio is like 4 or 5 years old. It sounds like maybe artto could have just got a glitched unit. I would also think that a radio at twice or more the price of another would offer some sonic improvement.

On another note, did you set the Onkyo to stay connected to the internet? Mine has an option to be ready to go, no connecting or buffering, it just comes on. When set to off it must connect, then buffer etc... before it comes on.

I saw something like that in the initial setup but wasn't sure which way it should be set. The way it was shown/asked was confusing. If I remember correctly I set whatever it was to off or no.

Edited by artto

Keeping it connected did away with all my connection issues, and I use a wall plug adapter at the far end of my house from router for my bedroom unit. I had nothing but trouble, plus waiting every time I turn it on. Now I hit power, a second or so later its playing Classic Deep Cuts.

Here's another fly in the ointment. I'm still getting some connectivity issues, particularly in late afternoon. One was verified that WDCB, a jazz NPR station from a local college is having problems, the whole college network actually.

The other thing is Onkyo is using inTune for it's internet radio service provider. I think inTune has some problems. A quick google of inTune connectivity failure shows I'm not alone.

I guess the next question is there a way to use another internet radio service on the Onkyo that has my favorite local radio stations?

Well, ultimately, while not perfect, the Onkyo TX-NR838 with its external WiFi rabbit ear antennas wins. The Denon AVR-X1100W has these too. And quite honestly the Denon seemed to have fewer connectivity issues. But the Onkyo wins in the power, sound quality, features and HDCP 2.2 compliance departments, albeit, its twice as much $.

I think some of the connectivity issue is related to the internet radio service provider. Onkyo now uses TuneIn. I didn't have any problems with Pandora. Denon uses vTuner. Onkyo used to use vTuner. IMO they should have stayed with it. When first connecting the Onkyo can sometimes be tricky if it doesn't connect the first time, its slow, so you have to wait a few seconds until the display cycles and then press the enter button. Occasionally I have to do this several times before it will buffer and start playing the radio station. I made some minor changes to the repeater/extender orientation which seems to have helped.

IMO WiFi is not all its cracked up to be and needs some serious improvement to be consistently reliable. This particular experience is one more reason why I don't use it on my business computers that have to download data every night for 3-4 hours.

Edited by artto