SVS or M&K

jwadd21

"And, IMHO, a $500 SVS should be compared to a $1000+ anything else..."

Reality check

Did you hear everything else? Very probably NOT.

This being said there are a few makes that bring this level of performance for little money too.

HSU(had the TN1220 at home a few years ago),Adire RAVA,Paradigm PW2200(purchased one for under $700 Canadian...this is less then 450USD!

Sorry to ruin the party. LOL Its not like I want to steamroll SVS.Just giving choices here Wink.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I use an M&K Volkswoofer with my Cornwalls - this sub exceeded my expectations. The sealed design is very good with music and gives a seamless transition to the main speakers (which are run full range, BTW). The sub is quite accurate and goes deep (flat to 20Hz according to my spl meter). My sub is used for almost exclusively for music and is outstanding for that application. If works fine for home theater as well, but if your system is geared more for home theater and you want loud, pounding effects (usually in lieu of accuracy), I would recommend a different sub. For a nicely blended, accurate, fill the bottom octave, music dedicated sub, I do like the M&K. Opinions vary widely here - just my 2 cents.

Andy

I've haaad an M&K 200 for a couple of years and run it with my Kornerhorns. Of course it can't meet the 124 db level of the Kornerhorns but I never play the horns that loud anyway. The M&K 200 mates very well with the horns and keeps up very well at loud enuf for me levels. The M&K 125 is a close brother to the 200. It uses about the same cabinet size but a smaller power amp, they both use 2 12" woofers (both active) but I think that the model # of the woofers is different. I'd consider it a good buy. To each his own.

------------------

Jim McClung

I'd go SVS.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org