DTS vs. Dolby Digital

Vladi

Can someone explain what is difference and which is better and why, if both carry the same digital informationor. Please, point me to a site where I can read about the two formats. What format will prevail, or is it likely that they will co-exist for a while?

Vladi

------------------

Front: RF-3 II

Center: RC-3 II

Surround: 2 Quintets

Subwoofer: KSW-12

Receiver: Sony STR-DA5ES

Lots of CDs and DVDs

Dolby Digital and DTS are both digital encoding schemes, but they do not carry the same digital information. The encoding schemes are different. Both are capable of delivering excellent sound. But each has its own strengths and weaknesses. And they are mastered separately. So one can expect some differences in sound between them for the same movie. IMHO, most of the differences one might hear between them is due to differences in mastering of the soundtrack.

Here is a place to start:

http://www.dolby.com/tech/mp.in.0103.DigitalVsDTS.pdf

Dolby has been around for a long time. DTS is a relative new comer. DTS encoded DVDs are still less common than Dolby Digital. My guess is both will be around for quite a while. Most AV receivers support both formats.

Thank you Malcolm and cluless for throwing some light, now I have something to read when I get home tonight.

------------------

Front: RF-3 II

Center: RC-3 II

Surround: 2 Quintets

Subwoofer: KSW-12

Receiver: Sony STR-DA5ES

TV: Sony Wega KV-36FV27

thanks boa- i agree! dts has been in theaters for quite some time, and i choose that option when available.besides...one of the coolest 'intros' is the dts 'the digital experience' intro(like on eagles-hfo) avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I'm becoming a DTS fan as well. I recently got a new processor (which was my first with DTS), and I love the format. Bass on DTS will rearrange your innards, if you have good subs!

I nearly soiled my own shorts on "Eagles - HFO", and that demo! I had the system at (what I thought) would be a good full volume - and that demo shook the hell out of my house! I KNOW the neighbors felt that one.

For anyone wanting to try DTS, get "Eagles - HFO". It's a must have - if for no other reason than to hear just how good this format can be. In the realm of DVD, it has to be the reference standard.