Horn Loaded Sub Question

akdave

So I posted in the HT sec asking for opinions on adding a second sub first or acoustic panels and the idea of a horn loaded sub was proposed.  I've read so little about them, I know next to nothing. 

What are the pros/cons to the Horn loaded variety?  My room is roughly 22 x 23.  I currently have one SW 115.  I know there are a lot of opinions on superior options to Klipsch and their subs, I get a great deal on them from my local dealer (who is a friend).  So if I'm looking at adding a second SW-115 (or the newer model) vs horn loaded... What's the best bet?  How subjective is it or is it just clearly better, etc? 

My goal eventually is to build a frame and put an AT screen up (right now I have painted a 150" on the wall.) so it would be possible to hide a hornloaded monster behind that.

I live in Alaska and shipping cost is a major concern.

Thanks for the education!

• Like 2

This is just my opinion, but a horn loaded subwoofer goes very well with a horn loaded bass bin such as found on the La Scala, Belle, Khorn.

Since you are not running any of those, I too would agree, add a second SW-115.

However, my TubaHT manages to fill my entire unfinished basement with bass, I have never been as happy with any other sub as I am with this one.  I have no regrets pushing my Sunfire Signature aside for it.  I don't mix them either... just couldn't get it to sound right, so one or the other.

• Like 4

Horn loaded subwoofers work well with all main speakers as they are much lower in distortion thus sound better.

The only down side is size, luckily there are many options available to fit in just about any room.

Even an 8" loaded table tuba will outperform your 15" Klipsch sub.

• Like 2

Ok so I'm home from work and can think a min. I know Klipsch makes some - are there other brands you'd recommend? DIY?

There are a few out there but they are best suited for pro sound applications.

The Klipsch KPT-1802 is an option but its freakin huge ( big as 2 full size THT's)

Your best bet is a DIY design, build it yourself or have an experienced builder do it for you for best results.

• Like 2

Here are some builders but none near you: http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Builders.html

Frankly you could just give some plans to a cabinetmaker in AK and have him build one if you are not a DIY kinda person. There are lots of plans available. I was reading a thread on a massive Gjallarhorn substitute called the Lowerhorn that is narrower and taller (~25.5 X 30 X 72). It's a beast! http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1502990-joe-s-lowarhorn-build.html

• Like 1

Don't we know one of those experienced builders here on the forum?   Hmmmmmm........

Don't we know one of those experienced builders here on the forum?   Hmmmmmm........

Shipping to Alaska??????$$$$$ 

I'm slow but I can be taught - I rarely read the subwoofer section so I hadn't read up on your builds.  I'll read up a little and see if I can get some questions answered.  I'm all for exploring having one built, (even shipping to AK if it's "right")  I have to try to weigh out the apples oranges factor and the cost benefit vs buying a new SW 115 for a screaming deal, brand new, w/warranty, etc.  I'll definitely do some reading on the sub forums.  Try to figure out what might be deeper, tighter, more cost effective.  Thank you again for your respective inputs! 

Post #400 for me.  Hm, I read far more than I post,  but the experience here on this forum has been invaluable.

• Like 1