Cartridge Set-up Part Deux (end of chapter)

USNRET

USN, where do I go to reliably order a Mint LP set?  How did you get yours?

I tried online, and couldn't seem to complete the transaction or verify my order.  Should I go through Galen Carol, for example?

Thanks,

Larry

I also had an issue completing the online order form. I used this form http://mintlp.com/best/ordertractor02.htm and in the email explained that I only wanted one so IF they saw the online order I did not want two. I got a really quick response, good folks. I ordered the pre-made one without my name.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

Today I received my OptiVisor with LED option. Sure is nice to be able to actually see the stylus!

I put on the MinLP protractor (last setup was with Graham tool) and saw that I was out on the overhang and out on the zenith. Using the new lite visor I set the cartridge very close on the first try. Amazingly, I was now able to actually see the stylus so well that setting VTA (actually SRA) was a snap. I set the SRA at eyeball neutral with the stylus as close to perpendicular as I could, I was a good 1.5 mm high at the tonearm pivot.

A minor adjustment to the anti-skate using zero cantilever deflection upon groove engagement as my goal and I set back to listen.

Much better sound stage with center being center rather than left of center, more bass response it seems.

Getting very close now with perhaps a tweak here or there on the VTA/SRA as I find that happy spot so I guess I'll close this story out. Thanks for the help!

post-19886-0-54140000-1426026161_thumb.j

Today I received my OptiVisor with LED option.
Hey, USN -- what OptiVisor did you get?  Was it part of the Mint package?  There are several on Amazon.

Mint includes a high-mag loupe as part of their kit as I recall.  I haven't got my kit yet.

Larry 

what OptiVisor did you get? Was it part of the Mint package?

I bought:

DA-7 Optivisor w/ Lens Plate - Magnifies 2 3/4X at 6 Inches

6010 Quasar LS 6010 LED Lighting System for Optivisor

LP-1 Optiloupe 2.5X Monocular Attachable Lens

www.loupe-magnifier.com

I would suggest that you delete the LP-1 Optiloupe unless you are doing stylus inspection with cartridge removed as it has too much magnification for TT setup use. Instead invest in different power lens for the Optivisor.

I got the two optics from LP Mint but found them both un-satisfactory. The lighted magnifying glass is way too dim to see; yes batteries replaced. The other optic I will use to burn ants this summer.

Check out this page: http://www.loupe-magnifier.com/optivisor-lens-plates.htm

I got the 2 3/4x power which the chart says is good for a working distance of 6". with the hood, lens and light I felt that I could easily bump the tone arm. I would add maybe the 2 1/2 x power with an 8" working distance if that makes sense. I like the magnification of the 2 3/4x and could use it with or without my bifocals on but again felt a little close to the work. With my bifocals on the focus was a bit harder but when I raised the hood to see the arm lift lever I couldn't easily use it. You vision will be different so........

Those powers and distances should be good -- 2X isn't quite enough IMO, but 3X was a little harder to work with for me.  The distance measurement is very important, I'm glad to see the "focus" on that so I don't bump into things.

Once again, my thanks.

Larry

I spent some time on the TT today

Set the VTA where the tonearm was 'level'; what to use for this?

I then started setting the azimuth using The Ultimate Test LP and my Fozgometer finding that the signal had a variance of 2 to 3 increments after I had the tilt dialed in equalizing left and right which according to the instructions could be associated with lack of damping.

By tinkering I found that tracking force and VTA had no effect on the wavering signal for azimuth but I did increase the tracking force to 1.6 grams as some had suggested increasing that force.

USPS arrives with the Graham blue silicone and I added enough to just cover the bearing point and just touch the 'square'.

The Fozgometer wavering stopped and both channels are now pretty dang close to equal.

I am still playing with the anti skate mechanism but the VERY small addition of damping fluid has helped in that. I can now put the weight back on, adjusted to minimal force and the arm does not swing wildly and does not skate off the LP from the lead-in grove.

Having a Bacardi beverage and listening to Marshall Tucker; all sounds great so far.

With a straight, non-tapered arm tube like the Graham, I use a lined 3x5 card resting on the platter as a level guide. Works quite well.

Man... you guys are over thinking it

Hey, I'm married with kids; allow me my one thing the wife allows (in moderation). Actually, the lighted optics and the Fozgometer are what I needed to get mine close as I CSFS...can't see for s...