A Conundrum

I promise this will be my last thread on this rearranging fiasco.

Earlier this year as some of you know, I mentioned I was going to replace my old 7.1 receiver with no HDMI, with something new that would handle it.  The hopes was that I would have a 7 or 9 channel unit replace the old one, with an extra 2 channel unit to take to school with me.  I finally got that first receiver taken care of in the Emotiva Fusion 8100, which I love.

Now, it was mentioned at one point that I try to get ahold of a Sherbourn 4Z-75 amplifier, as it would handle the extra speakers I wanted.  I even tried to hammer out the differences between integrated and stereo amps.  Now I'm sitting here trying to figure out if that's my best option for what I want.

This amp will need to be able to handle two sources.

At home it will only need to have one source in use, as all connections will be through the Fusion.  But at school, the Fusion is not going with - and it will need to be able to take a connection from both my computer and my TV.  The other thing is, I'd like to have a sub with me...probably a Klipsch RW-8 or something similar, so I'd like for a Sub preout to be readily available.  I'd like whatever 2 channel amp I have to put out at least the 65 WPC that the Fusion does too.  Small (as in flatter) is a benefit too...hence why keeping my current Yamaha is not an appealing thought.

In an ideal world I would have loved to go with a Sherbourn/Emotiva as it'd be the same set of components...but I don't see how that's going to happen as nothing except a Fusion Flex would come close to doing the trick, and I'm not a fan of its design (of all things).

I am not well versed with 2 channel gear at all.  I know NAD, Cambridge Audio, and the sort are out there, but I don't know what kind of pricetag they come at.  $300 would be my upper limit.

Accessories for less turns up these Yamaha's as candidates:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs300bl/yamaha-r-s300-natural-sound-stereo-receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs201bl/yamaha-r-s201-natural-sound-stereo-receiver/1.html

Are there other options?  Ideally like I said, I'd love to go Sherbourn and would even do the other two mentioned (I've also considered Cambridge for BluRay players).  Are there things I'm missing that I should look at?

Edited by IbizaFlame

Are you looking for a 2 ch integrated amp that may have a sub output?

Which speakers are you going to run.

Do you need for the integrated to have an internal DAC feature?

You can buy great used receivers for $50-100 that need nothing, and a pair of used speakers for less than 50 for you dorm room and pack your DAC and headphones etc with you. If they get ripped off or stolen, for 100 total who cares?

I'd like for it to be a fairly nice one as I'd like for it to pair with the Fusion when I'm home and run the speakers as front heights. This amp would be powering RB-3s. Basically...I'm not looking for the cheapest nor the most expensive.

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/search/ela?sort=rel&srchType=T&query=stereo

I would look at the polks and the nikko less than $150, keep it as the college stuff. The price is whatever they will take that works for you. Just so some searches, the newer receivers are probably the best deal, run them in 2.0 or 2.1

Look up the specs on the units, the older surround receivers with no hdmi sell for near zero, some are great amps. Same goes for the speakers,

Again I would expect it to be damaged or ripped off, pay the right price and you can sell it when you done.

My two cents.

Edited by Bubo

I would buy this if $200 is you budget, and find some retro 3 way speaker to go with it, maybe 12 inch woofers.

This has all the decoders, usb, hdmi etc and lots of good reviews.

It doesn't spec out with the totl, but everyone says it sounds good.

Run it in 2.0 or 2.1, you don't have to have 5 or 7 speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V375-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B00B981F38/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425690545&sr=1-3&keywords=yamaha+receiver

or this one, you would have to look at the spec and features, this one might have more umph or configured for 8ohm speakers? Sometimes they run similar products with different number depending on the distribution channel. Your vendor happens to have both, I don't know which one is the "more upscale" one.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxv377bl/yamaha-rx-v377-5.1-channel-a/v-home-theater-receiver/1.html

Look at the pictures of the rear of the units, 2 RCA in vs 1 RCA in, you can always get an RCA switch for a few dollars to connect more devices. 375 being replaced by the 377

"

Any major differences between the old 375 and this new 377 model? Thanks in advance.

A:

Here's what the Yamaha website says on its support FAQ: The RX-V377/HTR-3067 is the latest model in that series and has the following differences over the RX-V375/HTR-3066: 1. DC(USB) out for optional accessory. Like YBA-11 Bluetooth adapter 2. Background Video feature (for Radio/USB/AUDIO/AUX input) RX-V375 had radio only. 3. Audio Delay for adjusting Lip-Sync (0-500ms). RX-V375 has 0-250ms. 4. Extra Bass option even with small speakers or no Subwoofer.(Bass Button on Remote for easy access.) 5. Virtual CINEMA FRONT provides virtual surround sound with 5 speakers in front. 6. Removed the Composite Video Input from RX-V377 Front Panel. 7. RX-V377 has only one Audio Analog input, Audio. (RX-V375 has 2, Audio 1 & Audio 2.) 8. RX-V377 has only one Optical input, AV1. (RX-V375 has 2, AV1 & AV4.) 9. Option to change the volume scale from -80 to +16.5dB to 0.5 to 97. (RX-V377 to RX-V577 Models only.) Power and Dimensions are identical. Rated Output Power (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 2 ch driven) 85 W + 85 W Dimensions (W x H x D) 17-1/8" x 6" x 12-3/8""
Edited by Bubo

I'd honestly like to not get another RX-V.  I've despised the sound of every single RX-V and HTR model I've heard since 2010.  If we're being blatantly honest, I'd even rather not go with Yamaha altogether.  I haven't been a fan of their QC in their amps in recent years either.  I really don't want a unit that's got decoders built in, video processing built in...it's just more things that I don't need that can break.

I'm actually considering the option of just running audio into my PC, then back out to the amp and running the sub in a sequence with speaker wire - when I'm at school.

Whatever unit I get is going to be something that's going to get some legitimate use, so I'd rather have to snip out a feature or two than add many that I don't want/need.  The integration at home is the priority over how well it integrates at school.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr616/onkyo-tx-nr616-7.2-ch-thx-certified-network-a/v-receiver/1.html

lot more product for $100 more, this could be the pre amp for your home system and add outboard amps as or if needed. Research would be required, but the feature set is good, THX certified means something.

I'd honestly like to not get another RX-V.  I've despised the sound of every single RX-V and HTR model I've heard since 2010.  If we're being blatantly honest, I'd even rather not go with Yamaha altogether.  I haven't been a fan of their QC in their amps in recent years either.  I really don't want a unit that's got decoders built in, video processing built in...it's just more things that I don't need that can break.

I'm actually considering the option of just running audio into my PC, then back out to the amp and running the sub in a sequence with speaker wire - when I'm at school.

Whatever unit I get is going to be something that's going to get some legitimate use, so I'd rather have to snip out a feature or two than add many that I don't want/need.  The integration at home is the priority over how well it integrates at school.

Haven't heard the new RXVs. I do own a lot of the 1990s Yammy amps and pre amps and love them, I am in the middle of rebuilding about 8 different ones that are definite keepers.

Onkyo has been kicking ***, if it's THX its THX sound ,user interface is another matter. A thx receiver could be the DAC and pre amp for a keeper system. Lots of us do this.

Pc pre amp to an amp works, noise from the pc may be an issue that frequently requires optical isolation toslink as a solution, but try it.

For $250 you can buy a used parasound THX rated 2 x 200W amp

Edited by Bubo

The Emotiva I have is already doing a swell job at handling the loads I've been giving it.  It's got all of the decoding that I need it to do loaded on board, and with the XDA-2 that I have with it, I really have nothing there I need to worry about.  What I'd love to do is either get ahold of a Marantz MCR510, or a PM5005 (prefer the later of those options...just because I don't really need the MCR for what it is).  Or series the sub, and the TV (the later through the PC) and get something like an XPA-200.

I'm not really someone who drinks the THX cool-aid.  My RX-V2500 had THX modes onboard, and I never heard a difference between THX and DTS modes.  Again, my needs are exclusively set on another 2 channel unit.  I'm not really in it for something that's got more.  I'd rather invest higher on 2 channels for something of higher quality than something with more channels and features.

THX Certified, it's a set of demanding specs and bench tests to prove it.

I'm aware of that.  But some receivers actually have pre-programmed sound modes that "optimize" performance to exact specs of the THX standard.  None of those modes, sound any better to me than a DTS sound profile.  THX certification afaic is a placebo benchmark designed to push pricetags up higher.  I've yet to hear any real difference between something that is certified, and something that is not.

But I digress.  Something else I've considered is sticking with the idea of the Sherbourn 4Z-75, and then using either the line out for the sub, or the zone 2 for the sub.  I could then series the inputs, so that I'd have both readily available.  The only problem is getting the cash (I'm just antsy...it's not actually a problem).  From what I see, it'd be similar in amplification as well...I'm just not entirely sure that's the best I can do though.

Edited by IbizaFlame

How's this for an option?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-RX-497-/181683531266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4d2eae02

It's little brother the 397 is also on the bay with a bid of $30 and 1 day left.  Anyone got any input on them?  I can't seem to track down the Yamaha integrated amps for a lesser price.  And for the life of me I still can' track down any Cambridge products either...

How's this for an option?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-RX-497-/181683531266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4d2eae02

It's little brother the 397 is also on the bay with a bid of $30 and 1 day left.  Anyone got any input on them?  I can't seem to track down the Yamaha integrated amps for a lesser price.  And for the life of me I still can' track down any Cambridge products either...

Looks like a good college room solution that is disposable probably sounds good to. Just need some retro speakers.

My RB-3's are the speakers that will be footing the bill.  The next thing is going to be getting a sub.  My main issue is I don't want a throw-away option, that totally contradicts what I'm trying to do with this.

So...lets try another option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161628409639?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This guy has a built in 25 x 2 RMS power amp from the looks of it.  And just for added giggles if I cared enough to setup the switch box and all, I could use it for video switching at school.  It's Emotiva to boot.  Would this be a good option?  I actually have a really good feeling about it, save for wondering if I'd be shooting myself in the foot at 25 WPC for two speakers, and 65 for the rest.