Time To Replace The Beast

The History Kid

Since I've succumbed to the fact that I'll never find an RX-Z7 or 11 in my price range, I figure it's time to move on and look at much more realistic options.

It's finally time to replace the RX-V2500 that I've had since '09.  That'll be moved to school duty, and taken with me when I go back in August.  In the meantime, that means it's time for me to look for another receiver, and I figure I'd ask some people who actually are good at finding deals.

I'm gonna have to look at used, no two ways around it as my budget is extremely weak right now...down the line that may change, but with the rate that I'm paying on bills...I don't foresee that being the case.  My budget is a meager $300...but with the right push I could stretch that a little bit.

I'd like to at least make a sideways step in power (I'm currently at 120 WPC), retaining 7.1, but with at least 9 terminals (as I want a place for my RB-3's when I'm home).  11 would be ideal, but lets be realistic for a minute here.  HDMI is gonna have to be a must - as I think it's time I step up to the modern times in that respect.

I'm an avid music listener, as I'm sure many of you know, but I want something that won't slack off during movies either.

I've been looking at these mainly:

Yamaha: RX-V1700, 1800, 2600, 2700, 2800, 2900, A730, 820, and 830.

I wouldn't mind going in the direction of Pioneer Elites, but I know little about them honestly.  I'm also not opposed to Marantz or Denon, but does anyone else have any other ideas, or know of any really good deals I could get my hands on?  Again, going used doesn't scare me, and I'm active as hell on Search Tempest, so anything else anyone finds...let me know. :)

but I want something that won't slack off during movies either

you mean like you when you’re watching movies or listening to tune when you should be studying? 

Shhhhhh....what my professors don't know won't hurt them.!

Besdies, gotta have tunes to study.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

Yamaha: RX-V1700

This was my first hdmi based ht receiver. It's a good unit that can drive your mains pretty well, but the power per channel drops the more speaker you add to the mix. However it does have pre-outs so an external amp can resolve that issue.

Edited by Shodrewken
  • Like 2

I've got my eye on an 1800 right now, but the problem is that there may already be a buyer. :\

It seems the series just before the total overhaul of the RX-V line is the cutoff for when that line starts slacking off in quality.  From my personal experience, the latest 6 series Yamaha doesn't even sound comparable to the 630 or 640.  That's why none of those later models appear on my list.

I would stick with Yamaha and most definitely the Sony Str-da Es series which are built like tanks -

Pioneer Elites, on the other hand are not that reliable and quite expensive to repair -

Not that reliable? I've owned 4 Elites and never had a problem with any of them. In fact, I just sold a X4000 and I am going back to Pioneer Elite or one of the higher end Marantz.

Just keep an eye out Ibiza, the deals pop up, you just have to be ready to jump when they do.

• Like 2

Pioneer Elite's are actually the next closest thing I'm really fond of after Yamaha.  Not that I discount Marantz or Denon's sound quality, I actually have an entry Denon in one of my rooms - but I'm just used to Yamaha.  But Pioneer Elites command a pretty respectable reputation, and I've actually heard my fair share to know they mean business.

I guess I'm just down about trying to find those deals, seems like every time I find one...someone's already on it, or shipping isn't possible.  Gets to be a bummer, you know? :(

I've been looking at these mainly:   Yamaha: RX-V1700, 1800, 2600, 2700, 2800, 2900, A730, 820, and 830.

Here you go.

Yamaha RX-V1800 Home Theater Receiver/Amp - $150

00x0x_dhbCqTKpJje_600x450.jpg

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4848295907.html

97.png

Any Denver members out there to assist you?

Bill

Edited by willland

Hey, Ibeza,

Don't forget when you get back to school (Maryville, STL, right?), get in touch w/ me.  My son got his BA in Accounting there, and it is just a few miles due east of me on Hwy 40/I64!

Anyway, a couple of thoughts:

Good luck!

I've been looking at these mainly:   Yamaha: RX-V1700, 1800, 2600, 2700, 2800, 2900, A730, 820, and 830.

Here you go.

Yamaha RX-V1800 Home Theater Receiver/Amp - $150

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4848295907.html

Any Denver members out there to assist you?

Bill

That's actually the 1800 I mentioned in the post a few up.  Buyer indicated someone was already purchasing.

Don't forget when you get back to school (Maryville, STL, right?), get in touch w/ me.  My son got his BA in Accounting there, and it is just a few miles due east of me on Hwy 40/I64!

Totally.  I'll probably be living off campus either in Creve Couer or Chesterfield.

This is a local CL listing.  Is a beast, too, but not HDMI (but does show what can be available, in addition to the RX-V1800 above).  Is a Yamaha RX-Z9, that was originally listed at $599, now is $550:  https://stlouis.crai...4849050839.html

I've made posts about that one, and at this point, I'm not in a spot where I could get something to handle HDMI and another receiver.  If we were talking a Z7 or 11 at that price point, I could probably make it happen.

Have you seen this brand new auction site (again, local here in STL), and I have seen some good deals result: http://314auctions.c...no-speakers/516

Will have to give that a try.

St. Louis is a straight shot from 74 to 55 for me, so getting there isn't difficult - and having a place to stay over isn't hard either - so STL options are good.

But I have three Elites. One is totally dependable (VSX49-TXi and freakin' monster!). Another is mostly dependable (VSX74-TXsomethin' - only occationally do both speaker relays not throw on power on. Simple reboot usually fixes it). Third is a VSX -27 and sitting in storage. The HT processing board flexes enough from hot/cold cycling and eventually cracks a solder joint. Microscopic soldering to fix it.

Edited by Mighty Favog