Time To Replace The Beast

The History Kid

Let's just say I'm getting really tired of depending on my TV sending accurate signals of audio from my computer.

For the last few years, I've been running HDMI to the TV, and then optic from the TV to the receiver.  For music it's alright, for movies...it's terrible...most of the signals the receiver isn't supporting.  The only upshot is that the 2500 is smart enough to downmix the signal...my 730 sure as heck wasn't.

That 1700 didn't turn out to be a great deal, but that Z9 in STL has fallen to a price I can no longer ignore.  Just have to wait and see if he posts some contact information and will probably be picking that one up.  I'll probably sell my 2500 and use that money to compensate the sale, and return to square one.  Crossing fingers.

I purchased a Yamaha Aventage RX A1010 A couple years back and I have been extremely happy with it for my 7.1 System. It does accommodate two subs unfortunately I only have one right now. I could also take the zone two channels and have nine channels but haven't messed with any of that yet. Especially since the amp that is plugged in is 200 x 7 I'll have to find me another B and K.

• Moderators

I owned the RX-V1800 for awhile and absolutely loved it for HT.  Plenty of power to drive my previous setup of RF-83, RC-64 and RS-62.  Just an FYI, when I added two more speakers to make a 7.1 setup, there was a noticable decrease in power and dynamics.  For 5.1, it absolutely rocked!

I feel like I'm going to find that with any of the general consumer models, Michael. Which is why I'm contemplating so hard as to if I'd rather just save some extra and try and find one of those Fusion's refurbished or used. From what I've seen, that 65 WPC output is all channels driven. If I'm loosing half the power on a 130 WPC unit, it comes out the same - but if the sound is that much better as people have been saying, it might be worth biting off the extra price tag.

Any rate, I'm not sure yet. I'm passing the Z9 off to another forum member who is interested, and the 1800 fell through - so I think I'll wait and see if another good deal pops up. If I save enough for the Emotiva first, that'll be the route I take...if not, then I was obviously meant to find another deal. My fingers are itching and my pockets are burning though. lol

So...here's a thought for everyone to chime in on. Since I only need two dedicated channels to take with me to school, and am using it exclusively for audio...should I look at taking an Emotiva UPA-200 or even a Fusion Flex for that setup? Would it play nice with running line out to a sub and then to the speakers? (My experience with using anything but a line out on a sub hasn't been great, so I'm not sure if it's because of the amplifier I was using or if it's just not as great of an option). I'm up for improving that part of the system if it means not spending any extra or getting some back (as it appears my 2500 is still going for between 300 and 350 in some places).

even a Fusion Flex for that setup?

Nothing wrong with an integrated amp.

I've never had a problem using the speaker wire method for sub hook up.  I run the speaker wire and sub signal wire parallel and never use the method of speaker wires from the sub amp to speakers.

even a Fusion Flex for that setup?

Nothing wrong with an integrated amp.

I've never had a problem using the speaker wire method for sub hook up.  I run the speaker wire and sub signal wire parallel and never use the method of speaker wires from the sub amp to speakers.

Forgive my momentary brainfart Carl, but parallel...are you referring to the process of connecting two sets of speaker wires to the same terminals, then running them to two different speakers?

Forgive my momentary brainfart Carl, but parallel...are you referring to the process of connecting two sets of speaker wires to the same terminals, then running them to two different speakers?

Yes, that's one way.  Of course instead of 2 sets of speakers, you'd be running one set to the speakers and one set to the high level (speaker wire) inputs on your sub plate amp.

I feel like I'm going to find that with any of the general consumer models, Michael. Which is why I'm contemplating so hard as to if I'd rather just save some extra and try and find one of those Fusion's refurbished or used. From what I've seen, that 65 WPC output is all channels driven. If I'm loosing half the power on a 130 WPC unit, it comes out the same - but if the sound is that much better as people have been saying, it might be worth biting off the extra price tag.

Too bad you need HDMI.  About 15 years ago the manufacturers were going all out with their receivers.  I have a Denon AVR 5800 that will output something like 350 wpc at 4 ohms all channels driven. 

Is there a way to stream digital out from your computer besides HDMI? 

I alos picked up a Pioneer SCA 35 from a local member (Schu) and it does a really nice job.  Powering 4 ohm speakers and it seems to be fine (but I do not push the system that hard).  If you can find one near your pricepoint, jump on it.

Too bad you need HDMI.  About 15 years ago the manufacturers were going all out with their receivers.  I have a Denon AVR 5800 that will output something like 350 wpc at 4 ohms all channels driven. 

Is there a way to stream digital out from your computer besides HDMI? 

I alos picked up a Pioneer SCA 35 from a local member (Schu) and it does a really nice job.  Powering 4 ohm speakers and it seems to be fine (but I do not push the system that hard).  If you can find one near your pricepoint, jump on it.

Yeah, I could do analog L/R. Right now it's passing HDMI to the TV, and then optic from the TV to the amp. I'm just not a fan of formats being downmixed when watching movies, and I can forget about any HD formats when watching blu-ray's too. Plus the TV will only pass Dolby Digital, it won't pass any DTS signals.

Gotcha, thanks for that. Seems like something to do.

At first I thought the stereo amp would see a load that would damage it so I measured the resistance of my plate amp and calculated the load with the speakers.  I then hooked everything up and measured the load at the stereo amp before I hooked the speaker wires up and turned it on.  The calculated and actual load were the same.  It dropped it from 8 Ohms to 7.9 Ohms.  I've wired several more that way with no issues.

I'm happy to report that I will be replacing the Yamaha effectively with an Emotiva Fusion 8100 at the end of next month thanks to a very generous person.  I am beyond pumped and excited for this.

Excellent!  Am happy for you, Michael.

Interesting, while it was not your motivation, that your kindness earlier with the proceeds of your equipment (which surely you could have used [selfishly] yourself) has been passed along--to EVERYONE'S betterment!