Time To Replace The Beast

The History Kid

Emotiva Fusion 8100! I replaced my RX-V2500 with it and love it! Around $500 new. Kicks the crap out of anything less than $1,000 easily! I tried the Marantz 7008 and I like my Fusion much better. For more power I paired it with an Emotiva XPA-3, but so far it's been overkill. The Fusion is all you need.

I've seen a lot of people talk about Emotiva...I haven't dealt with much myself though.

Right now I have three feelers out right now in the STL area:

A Denon AVR-987 for $125

A Yamaha RX-V2600 for $250

A Yamaha RX-V1800 for $175

Thoughts?

30 day return policy and a 3 year warranty. Love it!

Only problem I've found so far with it is that specific model is only 7 out.  Ideally 7 + 2 would be the need, 11 would be perfect.  I'll have to do a little more research while I'm waiting to hear back from these other potential deals.

Just FYI- I've gone from 9.2 back to 7.2. I was planning to go 11.2, but it truly was a waste. I originally had an RF-7 II system until a few weeks ago with a Marantz 7008. I sold the Marantz a few months back and picked up the Emo stuff just to try with my RF-7's. I love it. I run it as 7.2 by splitting the sub out. The Marantz had two sub outs and I can't tell the difference. I'm switching to a heritage home theater setup with new Klipschorns. Right now I'm running heresy 3's as centers and LaScalas as left and right. The Emo is clean power

Edited by Trentster5172

Just FYI- I've gone from 9.2 back to 7.2. I was planning to go 11.2, but it truly was a waste. I originally had an RF-7 II system until a few weeks ago with a Marantz 7008. I sold the Marantz a few months back and picked up the Emo stuff just to try with my RF-7'd. I love it. I run it as 7.2 by splitting the sub out. The Marantz had two sub outs and I can't tell the difference. I'm switching to a heritage home theater setup with new Klipschorns. Right now I'm running heresy 3's as centers and LaScalas as left and right. The Emo is clean power

I'm looking for 7 + 2, not 9.1.  I just don't want to sit my bookshelf speakers in the closet while I'm home, I want them to be on point in the system as B's.  I'm sure I could use outputs to my 2500...but if I'm gonna do that, I'd rather wait and see first if I can find one that fits the bill in all of those areas - especially if I'm going to stretch my budget $200.

Still, I do like the looks of the Emotiva, and I could definitely see myself using one someday. :)

What about a 2 Ch amp from Emotiva for $300 and let the Yamaha handle the rest of the channels ?

Because the Yamaha will be going with me to school in August.  That's why I'm keeping the 2500.  But in the meantime, I need something just as good or better to replace it at home.

Again, it's just not at all practical.  Part of the point was to get a receiver with HDMI switching to handle the sound processing modes I've been missing out on, along with managing the speakers I have - enabling me to take the 2500 with me to school, and leaving the other amplifier here at home.  Would I love to do the Fusion?  Sure, I hear enough about it, it's great.  But at the cost, it makes little sense for my expenses available.  If I were able to find it well within my price range, that'd be a bit different.  I understand my range is limited, but that's why I'm not opposed to looking at used product.

• Moderators

I forgot you wanted to take it to school.

Sooner or later I need to replace my receiver also, but the Tv has to be changed first, it starting on it's way out. I think my receiver is older than yours, it has NO HDMI or Br sound formats...........it's a good thing I don't watch movies. :( I have it connected with 6 channel inputs from the Br player. :huh:  

I'm sure good deal will pop up somewhere, have you checked out......http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

Silly dtel, :P  But I can't say much...took me forever to replace my glasses that I never like wearing...

Yeah, I frequently monitor A4L.  Sadly I haven't found anything I really think would work there yet.  Since part of my want is HDMI, I'm very skeptical of Onkyo, and they seem to be the only ones really in my range that have the right connections, just not the right kind of feedback associated with them.

Right now, I'm thinking on these - all in the St. Louis area:

A Denon AVR-987 for $125

A Yamaha RX-V2600 for $250

A Yamaha RX-V1800 for $175

Obviously the 2600 would probably be the best of these options, but the Denon's pricetag is appealing but the only experience I have is with a 1513.  The 1800 sits right in the middle price wise, and feature wise from the looks of things.

• Moderators

I have never got anything from them but I do look sometimes.

We have a couple of Onkyo's, both 2 Ch but with the connections like a Ht receiver, they are for  my grandsons bedroom Heresys and my wifes in ceilings in her sewing room. The last time I listened to receivers in a showroom for Ht I didn't like the Denon or Onkyo's  sound compared to the Yamaha's. They both sounded kind of flat or dull compared to the Yamaha ? But it has been a long time so maby they are different now, from my experience Yamaha's last, (or I was just lucky) I have never had any problems with mine except for my remote which don't lower the volume anymore.

I have not been over-enthused with the Denon my mom has, or the Marantz I've got right now.  However, in defense of the Marantz, it doesn't have the best environment to work with.  I've heard the SR7009 hooked up to some B&W's before...wow...

I really do like that Emotiva now that I keep going back to it.  That in theory could work if I could just figure out the extra $200.  Since 7 speakers are staying here, and 2 are going....the Emotiva has 7 terminals and the HDMI on board...I could in theory use the Zone 2 for the 2500 as mentioned and use it to power the book shelf speakers when I'm home during the breaks.  That much wouldn't be a big deal.  Now if only I could bring it down into my price range somehow....

IF you go with a new Fusion, join the e-club for the discount. It will be a wash on the Fusion but might save you down the road if you make any other purchases or trade ins.

That's good to know.  I really need to expand my horizons on amplifiers.  Ever since I got my 30 series Yamaha's in '03-'04 I haven't really kept up like I should.  Emotiva might just help me get past that sometime.  If something comes up and I get loaded with hours at work, one good 40 hour week would buy me that Emotiva.  I guess I'll keep looking at the other stuff in the meantime though.