wannabe

bullsprig

I have a mild case of horn fever. It started about 1972 when a friend built a set of horns from some Speakerlab plans. He must have been a carrier. While I was younger my resistance was fortified by large doses of poverty and more pressing matters that combined to keep my fever down. I am now older,wiser and have succeeded in keeping the wolf away from the back door. I find my temperature rising. I hope to cure it with some khorns, La Scalas or Belles. Shucks a Cornwall or two might even be enough to cool me down.

One problem that I have is that I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Is Ebay the best way to find something?

I went to Springfield,Mo this past weekend and the only thing I found were a set of African Lacewood autographed horns that were a little over what I would like to pay! They were proud of 'em! I would be too but the audio is more important than the uniqueness of the speakers if you know what I mean.

I won't be so long next post. Thanks

------------------

If it's in stock we got it!!

Bullsprig,

Welcome to the forum.

Some of the places you can look for Klipsch speakers..

Here is a great place to find Klipsch speakers for sale. Post what you want and I'm sure you'll find soneone selling something. Audiogon.com is the other. Another is AudioWeb.com. Ebay of course has a lot of activity.

I'm actually getting ready to move up myself and seeking a pair of Forte IIs or Chorus IIs . Probably also going to purchase a new pair of RB-5 IIs.

Good Luck

- Tim

------------------

Two Channel System(s)

Phono - None: Looking

CD Player - Original Rega Planet

EICO HF-81

Speaker(s) - Klipsch 1.2s, Kg4s Looking for nice Cornwall or Chorus II

Tube Headphone AMP - ASL MG Head OTL ( 5751 -> EL-84 )

HeadPhones - Sennheiser HD-600 & Sennheiser HD-580

Home Theater

Toshiba 57HX81,

Yamaha 5790

Panasonic RP-91 DVD

Toshiba DST-3000

Klipsch kg4 Fronts/Klipsch Academy Center/Klipsch kg2 Rears

f>

c>

s>

Your story mirrors mine. I got addicted to Klipsch nearly 20 years ago, and didn't have the means for many years to obtain the oh-so-desired Cornwalls. I found this BBS a year ago, and now have an all Klipsch home theater (at a fraction of what I thought it would cost) - all made possible because of the collective wisdom of the members of this forum. Without this place, my system would not be what it is today. I've avoided many mistakes, and learned an encyclopedia's worth of info.

IOW, you are in the right place.

Finding used Klipsch: look ANYWHERE you might find them: ebay, used audio sites, garage sales, estate sales, pawn shops, newspaper ads (and check online, too) - absolutely anywhere you can get a lead on a pair. They are definitely available - it's a matter of finding them! We spare no effort around here to get the Klipsch we so desire. We're like "Deadheads" (I resemble that) - we'll drive miles and miles if necessary to get that musical fix!

More advice: Stick around here. There's no better place to feed that Klipsch addiction! It's base central for my Klipsch habit.

Welcome to Klipsch!

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains) - Klipsch Academy (center channel) - Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Krell Home Theater Standard processor - Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

Bass Kit: 2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets - Crown CE 1000 amplifier - Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources: Rega Planet CD Player - Pioneer DV-333 - 2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks - General Instruments cable box - Panasonic VHS PV-4459 - Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

thanks for replies. I have been lurking for a while as the fever spread.

One simple question. Am I naive to think in terms of 2 channel only? I never watch dvd's or tv. Why not a stereo setup? Or is that too limiting?

------------------

"African Lacewood autographed horns !"

1.)Never heard of African Lacewood.

2.)Autographed by whom?

3.)When you say horns - Do you mean Klipschorns?

If the answer is that they are Klipschorns and the autograph is either PWK or Paul W. Klipsch and can be authenticated they may well be worth a hello of a lot of $$$ to serious Klipschophiles.

Update:

A search on the web indicates that it is possible that the description "African Lacewood" is the real McCoy. That term is used to describe the grain pattern of veneers from various trees that looks very much like quarter sawn oak when sliced into veneer. Loverly to say the least and a relatively rare commodity.

Soooooooooooo!

If the speakers are Klipschorns and are African Lacewood and are verifably signed by the master - They may well be worth one hello of a lot of money given there rarity and their provenance.

Can you provide serial numbers? or an address and directions to the shop? - and err umm "She who must be obeyed" has caught me typing this and has asked,(ever so sweetly),If the term abstinence/lakkanukki meant anything to me.

I said Hush Woman!!

She smiled and said: Lorena told me how to make you simmer down and now suddenly I don't give a Tinker's about those African Lacewood Horns!

For Crying Out Loud Woman ! Put that Hedge Trimmer Back in the Garage!! CORDLESS! OH LORDY

Gotta Run Now - And I really Mean Gotta Run NOW

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 08-09-2002 at 12:03 AM

I think the speakers described are probably "Australian Lacewood." Klipsch offered this veneer on Klipschorns, and even Heresys. Probably not many of any model in this veneer. Striking appearance but not a good match for most people's decore. And, ofcourse, it cost more.

eBay is a great place to find Klipsch speakers. Just about everything shows up there sooner of later. They seem to go for pretty much market price most of time. Sometimes you can score a good deal, though. If you can find a set locally, you may be able to do better.

uBid is another option if you are interested in something Klipsch is currently dumping. Prices can be quite good. Downside is that uBid seems to have trouble keeping orders straight sometimes. Don't fret the high shipping charges. Just add them into the price and decide if you think it is a good deal.

Nothing wrong with stereo. We lived with it a long time. Most audio material is still only available in 2 channel format. You do miss out on the limited amount of audio material with additional channels, and the ambience enhancement possible for a 2 channel recording with an AV receiver.

Perhaps he said australian lacewood. I was in heaven and my ears were overwhelmed by muy eyes when I saw these horns. The place was called Harvey's in Springfield, Mo. I think!! I do have the card in my truck. They were supposed to be 50th year commemoratives and signed by PWK. The salesman seemed knowledgeble and friendly. He asked me- I hate to say it for fear of being laughed at-$20000! They weren't my cup of tea. The wood was more or less "spotted" like a leopard pattern. Also a molding split the face into right and left halves. He did ask me to make an offer but I am more interested in the sub 2000 dollars set!

------------------

I was thinking those speakers were African Zebrawood, but maybe not...In any event, they ARE beautiful to eye and ear! And as was stated, they are 50th anniversay commemoratives, signed by the master. The last time I saw them, they were "only" asking $11,900.00 for them.

BTW, if you're shopping Klipsch Heritage, you probably won't find much in stores to listen to. They are pretty much strictly special-order only. At least until klipsch get's some dealers set-up to showcase them. But if you know what you want, and want to buy new, price-shop till you find a dealer who will sell at a third off of retail. I think that is about as good as you will get, buying new (and quite fair, IMO). For on-line, pre-owned klipsch, I think ebay, audiogon, and some of the other sites are all good places to look. Good luck!

------------------

JDM