USPS - Lost in Space

eth2

Since there can be no competition in the delivery of mail

there are many other private carriers... isnt that competition??

Not when the infrastructure of USPS has been paid for by the U.S. Government. And thee Treasury issuing bad loans is a form of financing.

I agree government is to blame, however we seem to be approaching it from a different side.  If you don't want competition in the delivery of mail (I reject your premise that there can't be), then go ahead and run it as a government service.  Public services by definition are not run to make money.  Yes they should be run efficiently, but cutting the cord and then demanding payments while limiting pricing  flexibility is nonsense.  It is meddling at its worst.  And it is all thanks to our Congress over the years.

not trying to argue at all here, you are entitled to your opinion... but its very difficult to talk reason with people who blame obama for everything.

And even more difficult to argue with people who make unfounded accusations. Where the hell did Obama come in? It is Congress (not the Executive Branch) that regulated the Post Office. And the issue is not tracking, it is that it has been none days and no package. As for tracking, can watch my package each step of the way from UPS.

unfounded accusations??  your initial post basically blamed the "government" for this delay & no trackinmg updates...  i just used "obama" as a general term for the government.  i said "government" specifically a few times....  no need to pick apart words, or get upset with using "hell" 

"none days"  ???   the 14th of march was a saturday... most businesses are closed as far as employees to pack an item, so my guess is that the label was created & scanned into the system, then it had to go through customs in canada, then customs in usa, then is on its way to you.  calm down, it will arrive on time or very soon after, if not im sure it was insured.  its not lost in space...  

like i said, hard to discuss anything related to government with people who blame them for things they have nothing to do with.    

Edited by klipschfancf4

You did not say should,  you said can't.

You have totally missed, and misunderstood, the point! There can be no competition because the government has set up a monopoly. The point is that there should be no monopoly.

Oldtimer;

Follow this logic string:
(1) I have been poorly serviced by the USPS.
(2) UPS would have had that package here days ago.
(3) THE USPS is inefficient,
(4) this inefficiency is fostered by the U.S. Government (not Obama) setting up a monopoly and funding a poorly run enterprise.
(5) The government issues loans in the BILLIONS to the USPS. This constitutes a subsidy.
(6) Because of the monopoly status of the USPS as it related to mail, it has an unfair advantage when compared to UPS, and even then cannot compete.
(7) Raising prices is NOT the answer. Improving efficiency is he answer, or in the alternative to get out of the way of competent businesses.
(8) If you can't follow this, give it to a five year old for help. :P

Edited by eth2

You have totally missed, and misunderstood, the point! There can be no competition because the government has set up a monopoly. The point is that there should be no monopoly.

Who makes the law?  Of course there can be competition.  RE:  Airlines deregulated about 35 years ago.  I have missed no point.  As I have said I agree on the ultimate problem.  Furthermore, if you meant to include me in misstatement of your positions I don't think so, especially when I answered your query with your own quote.

(8) If you can't follow this, give it to a five year old for help

The only rational answer to that is **** YOU! :P

I was waiting for that. That last refuge of the weak minded. 

No the last refuge is that stupid emoticon.  (see post #28)

Edited by oldtimer

(7) Raising prices is NOT the answer. Improving efficiency is he answer, or in the alternative to get out of the way of competent businesses.

In fact, both improving efficiency and pricing flexibility are related.  Competition does a great job of speeding this along.

Oldtimer;

Follow this logic string:

(1) I have been poorly serviced by the USPS.

(2) UPS would have had that package here days ago.

(3) THE USPS is inefficient,

(4) this inefficiency is fostered by the U.S. Government (not Obama) setting up a monopoly and funding a poorly run enterprise.

(5) The government issues loans in the BILLIONS to the USPS. This constitutes a subsidy.

(6) Because of the monopoly status of the USPS as it related to mail, it has an unfair advantage when compared to UPS, and even then cannot compete.

Your sense of logic and sequencing is very specific and very organized.  I'm not being pithy or sarcastic here, you would have made a great therapist or psychologist.

(8) If you can't follow this, give it to a five year old for help. :P

Except for #8.  :lol: