Considering Preamp for 2ch Setup....Need Suggestions

Youthman

• Moderators
Try a proceed avp 2 for fun, may might work well.....

Isn't that a Pre/Pro?  If so, I stated in my initial post...

I wouldn't need any bells and whistles. Currently I have the Rotel DVD as my CD transport. It is hooked up via digital coax but could be connected to a pre-pro via analog. The only other input I would need is an RCA for my Apple Airport Express which allows me to stream music from my phone through the 2ch system. Other than that, I just want it to sound great with the RF-7ii.

• Moderators

Thx Juniper...I purchased a Rotel RC 1070 Preamp.  Going to see how I like it compared to the HK3490 as a Preamp.

Well she arrived late this evening!  :D

I just posted some pics in my Rotel RC 1070 vs Harman Kardon HK3490 Comparison thread and will be sharing my initial thoughts on how they compare tomorrow.

• Like 1

• Moderators
eww! I ran an HK 3490 on a pair of the original 7's. That lasted no more than 2 weeks. -HATED IT !!!- (sorry, hate is a very strong word) Good luck on the auction, Youthman !!! You will love the RC-1070 :D

Interestingly enough, at first impression....my ears actually prefer the sound of the HK3490 as the Preamp.  I've even tried the different "Curve" settings.  Don't get me wrong, it sounds good....but the HK seems to have a more full sound.

I'm trying to carve out some dedicated quiet time so I can really compare the two...just too busy of a week this week.  Hopefully I can clearly define what differences I am hearing.

• Like 1

eww! I ran an HK 3490 on a pair of the original 7's. That lasted no more than 2 weeks. -HATED IT !!!- (sorry, hate is a very strong word) Good luck on the auction, Youthman !!! You will love the RC-1070 :D

Interestingly enough, at first impression....my ears actually prefer the sound of the HK3490 as the Preamp.  I've even tried the different "Curve" settings.  Don't get me wrong, it sounds good....but the HK seems to have a more full sound.

I'm trying to carve out some dedicated quiet time so I can really compare the two...just too busy of a week this week.  Hopefully I can clearly define what differences I am hearing.

Michael,

Congrats on the Rotel.

That "full" sound that you hear "may" be the "warmish" coloration from the HK, or just a sound that your ears are used to.  When I was using my Marantz 2252 with my Heresys, RB-5's, and Quartets, warm and full was my best description of the sound.  When I replaced the Marantz with a Luxman R-117, I got the "warm and full" but with the added snap and punch in the lower regions and spot on detail in the highs.

Give that Rotel/Acurus combo some serious critical listening time with female vocals, some full piece jazz music(cymbals and snare drums), acoustic guitar, and then decide.  You may just end up preferring the HK/Acurus combo.

Bill