Recommendations for a 50-55" TV

J M O N

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!  It looks like my dad ended up buying a TV on his own after telling me last week he was in no hurry.  He did shop around and ended up buying a 60" Sony at Wal-Mart.  Based on what he told me, I believe it was the Sony KDL60R510A and he got it for $750.  He seems to be happy.

Dad got the Sony he wanted, he got a good size, at a good price.  All's well that ends well!  :)

Have you helped him set up the Forte's yet?  I don't remember the setup, is this 2.0, 5.1, etc? 

The reason I ask is that with the broadcasts now being in 5.1, I think having a center channel is essential.  The downmix from 5.1 into 2.0 makes dialog/vocals almost unintelligible to me, I can't understand a word, and his built-in speakers are rear firing.  That is what drove me to upgrade into the 5.1 world a couple of years ago.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Have you helped him set up the Forte's yet?  I don't remember the setup, is this 2.0, 5.1, etc? 

Yes, Dad has had the Forte's since the mid '90's.  It's a 5.0 set up.  Rears are KG 1.5s and the center is one who's model I can't remember, but it may have been the smallest of the Klipsch center channel offerings at that time.

What is the the only LED manufactured on American soil ?      Well for you klipsch patriots and flag waivers , the Vizio would be the home grown choice .

Visio isn't made in America. Their headquarters are in California, but the products are made overseas. A more correct answer would be Element, although they're only assembled in the US. There are a couple of very high end TV manufacturers that actually manufacturer at least most if not all of their TV's here, but you're talking about insane prices. In the future, UDC with its OLED TV's may be a big player.

4G and Ultra HD are a waste of money right now ( no broadcast signal )

You mean 4K? Who buys a nice TV only for the broadcast capability? I can't remember the last time I watched anything over the air. I think 4K is a waste regardless unless you're 3' from the screen.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1