Vintage 1980 La Scala's

BryanJ

Well, from browsing the board, I know I've come to the right place. I'll be aquiring 2 LS's with in a couple weeks. What should I do to them to tune them up? Point me to the right linksSmile.gif Should I just wait and see if I like them the way they are? I'll continue to read on tonight here.Smile.gif

Thanks for any help

DocJ

Welcome to the board, and to Klipsch ownership. Do a search on mods and you will find several. Crossovers & horn damping are are a couple. Wait till you get yours and listen to them first, you may like them the way they are. I have '79 LaScalas and love them, but just came home with '78 k-horns last night, so I am having fun with them. Let us know how they sound and look when you get them.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scala's (mains), SF-2 Center (pair), RS-3 Surrounds, RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590, SF-1 Mainsc>s>

I suggest just playing them often for a few months to adjust to their sound. Due experiment with their placement to obtain the best location for bass reproduction. It's been said by other that La Scala's and Belles are a bit bass shy. That said, I have Belles as fronts for my HT, given their placement in my room, their bass alone is very satisfying. I elect to play them in 2 channel mode without my subs, because when properly placed horn loaded bass speakers reproduce wonderfully sharp and impacting bass.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Thanks for the promt relpy GentlemenSmile.gif

I think I'm going to come up with a way for the gent in Ca to ship to me. I know fed ex probably would ship.

Should I call Klipsch for shipping boxes? Do they even do that? So many questionsSmile.gif

Thanks again

BJanos

DocJ,

A Harty Welcome. I recall several months ago there was a thread posted here on shipment of Belles. You may want to do a search.

I seem to remember the buyer was instructed to have his seller place them on a pallet, use padding & styrofoam type panels around each speaker for protection, then wrap them with thick mil type clear plastic or a Saran Wrap Plastic Film like material. Do remember the buyer stating they safely made the journey from near East Coast to the West.

Hope this is helpful.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-11-2002 at 08:49 AM

DocJ,

Thanks!

Yea, got the Mitsu 52" around 1994. The darn thing still provides a great picture, so I really can't find any reason to buy another. It doesn't get a lot of use, except for occasional movies. Mainly listen to music on one of the two channel systems and watch morning news on the bedroom set.

That Mitsu has definately been a good set. Hopefully, yours has never had a problem either.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-13-2002 at 08:30 AM

DocJ,

Contact Service By Air @ 1-800-243-5545. I used them about a year and a half ago to ship a pair of LaScalas I purchased from Atlanta to Tulsa. Total delivered price was $133.00 dock to dock. They put the speakers on a pallet, shrinkwrapped and strapped them down. When I went to pick them up they couldn't have been more securely attached if they were bolted on and they didn't have a scratch on them.

The advantage of having them on a pallet is the combined weight and bulk forces them to be moved by forklift rather than some bubba with a dolly which is a guarantee for knicks and dings.

Congratulations, I know you're going to love the LaScalas. I second the motion to spend some time listening to them as is before making modifications. Room placement will make more noticeable improvements than most tweaks.

Roadhawg

SS, definately a good picture on mine also. I have an aquataince who repairs BScreen tv's. He really pushes for UPS power on the screens since the biggest enemy to them is brown outs and not power spikes!!?

RoadHawg, I should of ck'd in here earlier!! They are being shipped through some frieght company. Seller assures me they are reputable so I have my fingers crossedSmile.gif I will take note of the number though.

Looking forward to them, now have to wait about 7-8 days.

BryanJ

I have a pair of 1980 La Scala's with the type AA xover. Play with the placement, try to get them into a corner. You will love them forever.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

Gents, they arrived finally. I got home around 4:30pm today, my brother I had enlisted to come over earlier in case the delivery was ahead of schedule. It was not. Unloaded them and placed them. wired them to my Reciever/amp. Only got to play them for about 5 minutes since the kids started thier homeworkFrown.gif!!

Is there some sort of cd you all use to test them?

The reciever is a technics SA-DA10 MOSFET home theatre model. 100 watts/channel x 5.

Should I go tube amp? Maybe I should listen for a while?

BJ

Congrats on the arrival of your new babies!

Yes you could go with a tube amp for the La Scala's. A lot of people on this forum like tube amps. Depending on how much you want to invest in one, or buy a good dual mono block power amp to drive those new La Scala's. For the time being you could use your receiver for your entire digital playback, i.e. DVD etc., and to drive your center and surround speakers.

This is assuming your receiver has pre-outs in it for your main L&R channels. Then down the road you can move up to a separate home theater pre/processor and another power amp( 3 or 3 channel).

I run a separate power amp for my La Scala's and it really makes a difference (IMHO). I'm sure my Denon AV receiver would work well driving the La Scala's since they drive all of the surrounds and center. For as loud as I have cranked it up it never has broken a sweat. But I have been so use to running a separate power amp for them I like the sound and the added headroom it affords the La Scala's.

Send us some pics of the new babies and work on spending more then 5 min. tell the kids its break time for them and daddy needs to chill for the next hour. Put on some good tunes, turn it up as if nothing else matters and engulf yourself into your own little world. Wow! That sounded so good I think I'll go and spend a little time in my HT room

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

Scooter, It's been 3 hours now I've been play'n the La Scala's. I've played Winwood, 3 dog nightSmile.gif, Guess WHo, Alan Jackson, Pachebel, I must be 25 feet away from them and I can feel the vib's thru the keyboard. Hi's and mid range are right on.

The low end just needs a bit more punch. So off to seek a sub wooferSmile.gif My first system was Bose, always had to compensate for the mid and highs, now with PWK, have to add just a little bottom end, but not a lot!!Smile.gif Not complaing at all, my ears are a ring'n.

I've broken out my mp3's alsoSmile.gif April Wine, Dean Martin, "ELVIS" Guess WHo,,,,no the groupSmile.gif

ACDC ect ect.

The Hi's and MId are there!!! Too much that it hurts my ears on some tracks. ...of course, som BTO!!!Smile.gif

I'll post a pic soonSmile.gif

Bjanos

Hello all, well, been running the vintage La Scala's now for 4 straight hours. I've heard the highs and the mids great. Low end has good tight bass. Just missing the subwoofer now. That would put me in hog heavenSmile.gif Of course looking at the Klipsch sub'sSmile.gif The reciever/amp I'm running is pretty decent on noise. I have to turn it up 3/4 to even start to hear any hiss when not running an input. To me that means it is quiet. Maybe I'll stay put for now. Still have that tube amp in the back of my head and that usually translates to the real thing within 3 monthsSmile.gif

There is a nice dynaco on ebay..hummmm

BJ

Roadhawg, been now cranking the La Scala's for over 15 hours now...not continuously or I'd be looking at a divorceSmile.gif Playing all the old tunes.

I heard one that put me in some pain. The songs intro "Fox on the run" by Sweet. Now that is an ear wax cleaner/interrogation tool!!! "Uhnst you vill tell me the truth or I will play the tones through the LaScala....ok, I'll talk, anything but that!!!" That hurt big time.

Klipsch's doing fine. Have a K sub on order.

If you don't already have it, you owe it to yourself to get the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD. The acoustic guitars on Hotel California will take your breath away through the LaScalas. You can hear the fingers plucking the strings. There's also a lot of great percussion on there.

I take it they arrived without dings or scratches. Congratulations on a great pair of speakers!

RoadH, will indeed try that cd. Scooterdog, Will post a pick soon, but it will have bose 301's in it, no longer online of course but there.

Is there some sort of test for these beasts so I know there up to standards?? Bass is tight but sometimes abit muffled on some tracks. Hi's and mid's are there and are strongSmile.gif

BJ