Dynaco amps in Hope?

jimjimbo

There were a couple of Dynaco amps brought to Hope by (I think) Seadog and maybe Audiodad?  Not sure, but I would love to hear more about them, what are their specific designations, how and by whom they were restored and upgraded, and whether anything close is still available?  Of all the amps I semi-closely listened to (as best I could) over the course of the weekend, these were at the top of my list.  The VRD's were awesome too, make no mistake....Any info would be great.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I tried, but I absolutely could NOT get into the selections being played inside to stay LONG enough to do ANY critical listening.....

Unfortunately, I was NEVER inside when the VRDs were powered up at all, ALL weekend long!!! :(

I don't understand why the VRDs never to my knowledge, ever even made it over to the Cornwalls???

Roger

• Like 1

The VRD's were early, and didn't get much love....except from Mike and I....

And yes, critical listening was sort of.....impossible to a degree with all of the other things going on, which might be a thought for a change for next year...if possible.

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1

I tried, but I absolutely could NOT get into the selections being played inside to stay LONG enough to do ANY critical listening.....

Unfortunately, I was NEVER inside when the VRDs were powered up at all, ALL weekend long!!! :(

I don't understand why the VRDs never to my knowledge, ever even made it over to the Cornwalls???

Roger

the VRD's were hooked up to the cornwalls for the first hour or two on Friday and swapped out for the rest of the time for an unknown reason (to me)

• Like 1

My Nakamichi Amps need to fully warm up to sound their best, just like a tube Amp!

I would have really liked to have both them and the VRDs running for a good long while and have been able to do a "BLIND" A/B for everyone AND some critical detail listening, but the KP-600s would have to shut down for that....

Roger

Maybe a better place to do a blind A/B would have been in the conference room at the Hotel???

Roger

It's kind of funny, (but not surprising I guess..) that considering everything we've all gone thorough in one way or the other as far as acoustics, toe-in, off the wall, on the wall, etc, etc, etc, that we would consider the conference room for critical listening....I'm not dissing you Roger at all, but I guess given everything else, that it would be about the only place we would even think about doing something like that...Maybe we could move around those lovely plastic flower wreaths to catch a few reflections....

• Like 2

but the KP-600s would have to shut down for that....

Well, that's just outright blasphemy!!  Wash out your mouth youngin'!!

Jim.

I helped Kev assemble his set AND I have my own set of KP-600 stacks as well.... As a matter of fact, I arranged for those two stacks to be there, so it is not as big a deal to me to shut them down for a little while!

Regardless, Rodney spent from 1 am till 4 am on the last night listening to "HIS" old country songs with his friends and told Kev several times that he has never had more fun in ALL the years that he has lived there than right then listening to HIS music with his friends right then! He told Kev this several times and told Kev that he got to hear things from Kev's 600s in his music that he had never heard before. Rodney asked Kevin to bring the 600s to future events and they shook on it!!! Rodneys daughter said that Rodney NEVER comes to the outside fire ring at night and he was out there from 1am till 4am!!!

Roger

• Like 1

Maybe a better place to do a blind A/B would have been in the conference room at the Hotel???

Roger

It's kind of funny, (but not surprising I guess..) that considering everything we've all gone thorough in one way or the other as far as acoustics, toe-in, off the wall, on the wall, etc, etc, etc, that we would consider the conference room for critical listening....I'm not dissing you Roger at all, but I guess given everything else, that it would be about the only place we would even think about doing something like that...Maybe we could move around those lovely plastic flower wreaths to catch a few reflections....

If the above VRDs were promised in far enough advance ahead of time next year, I could also put it past Roy to set up an A/B if he happens to get to be in town again????

Roger

• Like 1

Roger

If the above VRDs were promised in far enough advance ahead of time next year, I could also put it past Roy to set up an A/B if he happens to get to be in town again????

Roger

Talk to USNRET .. they were his, as was the NOSVALVE pre.

• Like 1

Roger

Roger

Talk to USNRET .. they were his, as was the NOSVALVE pre.

I just PMd him... Thanks!

Rog

I knew Mike had the VRD's, but didn't know he also had the HH Scott pre....dude!!  you were holding out on me!!  Beautiful items.  The pre was very cool because it had a separate center that summed left and right, and that's why the center CW was hooked up as it was.  

• Like 1

Jim.

I helped Kev assemble his set AND I have my own set of KP-600 stacks as well.... As a matter of fact, I arranged for those two stacks to be there, so it is not as big a deal to me to shut them down for a little while!

Regardless, Rodney spent from 1 am till 4 am on the last night listening to "HIS" old country songs with his friends and told Kev several times that he has never had more fun in ALL the years that he has lived there than right then listening to HIS music with his friends right then! He told Kev this several times and told Kev that he got to hear things from Kev's 600s in his music that he had never heard before. Rodney asked Kevin to bring the 600s to future events and they shook on it!!! Rodneys daughter said that Rodney NEVER comes to the outside fire ring at night and he was out there from 1am till 4am!!!

Roger

Well of course I was just joshin', but you know what I mean...those stacks were incredible, and I told Kevin that at least 329 times....I showed my wife, brother and son in law photos of them, talked about them, and they just said..."damn".....or something like that....

• Like 1

Jim.

I KNOW Kevin will be back next year!

His brother Brandon is planning on it and so is Lonny!

I made Brandon promise to try to bring his wife Rae Rae next year as she is outgoimgly friendly and one HEII of a lot of fun!!!

Kevin has 3 brothers and two sisters. He is the oldest, and anyone would enjoy spending time with ALL of them, but his Mom and Dad are the best!!!

Roger

Roger

Well of course I was just joshin', but you know what I mean...those stacks were incredible, and I told Kevin that at least 329 times....I showed my wife, brother and son in law photos of them, talked about them, and they just said..."damn".....or something like that....

• Moderators

Maybe a better place to do a blind A/B would have been in the conference room at the Hotel???Roger

I was going to suggest this, I bet Christy can get you their conference room next year, if y'all didn't have it this year. That is about the only place I have ever been able to get any critical listening done at one of those shindigs, other then the lab listening room with limited people.

Those Naks are awesome, very smooth,those VRDs are obviously a different topology, and I think you would hear a distinct difference with music you were familar with.

What pre were they using with the VRDs?

• Like 2

Maybe a better place to do a blind A/B would have been in the conference room at the Hotel???Roger

I was going to suggest this, I bet Christy can get you their conference room next year, if y'all didn't have it this year. That is about the only place I have ever been able to get any critical listening done at one of those shindigs, other then the lab listening room with limited people.

Those Naks are awesome, very smooth,those VRDs are obviously a different topology, and I think you would hear a distinct difference with music you were familar with.

What pre were they using with the VRDs?

Sea Dog or Michael will have to fill you in on the Pre setups in attendance as there was more than one. I know one Pre sounded very poorly to me and you can get more info in a PM from Sea Dog on that.

They played a lot of Dave's Organ Music and other stuff that I just could not get into it AT ALL, just not my cup of tea!

I think the absolute BEST way to do it would be to have Roy A/B them at the lab on the Jubs if he is available and willing and do it blind so there are no pre-conceived biases. I think the results would be surprising to some, and of course it will make a GREAT difference as to what Tubes are rolled into those VRDs as well...

Roger