speaker to start out with

heavymetal

What type of system are you looking at getting? A 2-channel stereo or a full 5/6 channel HT setup? If only 2-channel, $800 would be enough to get a pair of RF-3IIs brand new. Better yet, it may be enough to score yourself a pair of LaScalas on the used market, such as on Ebay.

If you are looking into a full 5 chennel HT setup, that will be more difficult. Again, you can look on Ebay and such and see what is out there. You may be able to pick up a set of KG-series bookshelf speakers (KG-1.5, KG-2.5, etc) which are supposed to be pretty good.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

I still need to hook up my KG-2.5's I got from eBay. I don't even know if they work. lol I found a great deal on them and acted fast- within a few hours of the auction's open. If you are looking for good deals, do check eBay, but be cautious when buying. Ask the seller for his phone number and talk to him to see how he is and if he is trustworthy. Also, DO NOT get discouraged if you are looking for a long time. I looked for quite a while without buying. If you go two-channel, you can get just about anything on that budget. (well I did say just about)

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>

new

rb5 & nice stands

rf3 & nice cables

if you have the time to go for vintage used(I do not due to busines travel and family obligations)

KLF20

or

LaScalas

I am taking next Thursday off to cruise garage sales in rich older neiborhoods to see if I can find some older Klipsch speakers.

skonopa's question is a very valid one. Determine if your goal is to have a 2-channel or Home Theater System. Then closely look at your room layout and decide your desired placement.

Visit a local Klipsch dealer and listen to some of their offerings. Bookshelf Speakers are better where space is limited and serve well for Home Theater use. Full range Reference and Heritage offer great set-ups for more serious 2-Channel listening and will certainly meet your needs for HT as well.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-18-2002 at 07:27 AM

Agree with all - my preference is heritage. Look for used.

Heresy are a great fit for limited space but probably want a good sub with them.

LaScala seems to be a good deal on the used market - if you have the space you would never look back.

I'll go one step farther - focus on your two main speakers even if you are looking for HT - plan on making enough cash to fill in later with matching sound. This is a great way to ease into an addiction called upgraditis...

------------------

Hwatkins

I love the big horn systems. But they're out of your range.

My second love is the Forte or Forte II, particularly the latter.

There would be nothing wrong with starting out with a pair and then add as you go.

Regards,

Gil

When I bought my RF-7's, the very experienced older dude (ex biker type, worked in the recording industry for many years) told me that when the RB's came out, a lot of the studio engineers were so impressed that it was their first choice to replace their home speakers.

Thought I'd share that with you.

cwm9.gif

------------------

Amp: Integra 7.2

DVD: Toshiba SD4700

Fronts: RF-7

Centre: RC-7

Surrounds: old Advents!

Sub: None

TV: Dreaming of Plasma