Rear Height Buzzkill

Nismo

Dayum. I always knew that my 125wpc (7.2) Denon X4100W supported traditional 5.1 + 2 Atmos (Front) Height channels (7 channels total). And, if I wanted to add another pair of Atmos speakers— I would need to add a separate amp to power the additional Atmos (Rear) Height channels (9 channels total). No problem.

The plan was to get the 200wpc Emotiva XPA-3, & use that to power my L/R/C via pre-outs, then let my Denon power my 6 surround channels (2) Rear Surround, (2) Atmos Front Heights, (2) Atmos Rear Heights.

The 4100 has (2) dedicated Height Terminals (for Atmos Fronts), & I thought I could then use any of the remaining "Assignable" Terminals to add the Atmos Rear Heights & have Audyessey recognize the Atmos configuration during set-up. But, according to Denon....that option will not work.

My Denon does have 2 additional Height channels available via pre-outs & I will have to use the pre-outs for the additional Atmos configuration. So the 4100 does support (2) Atmos Front Heights & (2) Atmos Rear Heights, but since the expansion is only via the pre-outs— that means the (3-channel) 200wpc Emotiva will only be powering my (2) Atmos Rear Heights....not my F/R/C. Sucks.

The 200wpc Emotive is a bit of overkill to simply power 2 Rear Heights, especially since the Klipsch Atmos modules are (Cont/Peak) 50w-100w. So that begs the question... would you still get the Emovita, or get a smaller, more budget friendly option to power 2 Rear Heights?

iFhBQ30.jpg

• Like 1

I don't get it? If it only supports audyssey front heights how can you just add rear heights also? Doesn't it have to be a x.x.4? Receiver for that?

And no I wouldn't spend twice as much on amp that is gonna be running some little speakers. Just doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

I don't get it? If it only supports audyssey front heights how can you just add rear heights also? Doesn't it have to be a x.x.4? Receiver for that?

And no I wouldn't spend twice as much on amp that is gonna be running some little speakers. Just doesn't make any sense.

It supports Atmos Front Height via dedicated terminals x.x.2 (two Front Heights)

With the addition of an amp... it will support x.x.4 (two Front & two Rear Heights)

but the additional Atmos Rear Heights must be connected via the "Height" pre-outs.

There are 2 assignable terminals for Rear Surrounds... I incorrectly assumed I could "assign" those to the Atmos Rear Heights.

The addition of the XPA-3 was to feed 200wpc to my F/R/C via pre-outs... but I need the pre-outs to add the Atmos Rear Heights.

I should be able to find a decent 100wpc amp to power them.

here's a solid performer, and less than $200 to boot:  http://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/mini-x-100

i currently have one running my sub.  :emotion-14:

Interesting. I like that 2 channel option. Only concern would be my Front Atmos Heights would be getting 125wpc (via my Denon).... with the addition of the mini-x100, the Rear Atmos Heights would be getting 50wpc. 

here's a solid performer, and less than $200 to boot:  http://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/mini-x-100

i currently have one running my sub.  :emotion-14:

Interesting. I like that 2 channel option. Only concern would be my Front Atmos Heights would be getting 125wpc (via my Denon).... with the addition of the mini-x100, the Rear Atmos Heights would be getting 50wpc. 

i'm pretty sure neither set will use more than 25wpc ;)*

*yes, I pulled that number out of thin air. my real point is that I don't think you will need to worry about a 50WPC amp running that content, or a mismatch between front/back, especially if using internal amps for the front highs.

Edited by Thaddeus Smith

I should be able to find a decent 100wpc amp to power them.

psssst, look above. 

Haaa... was trying to reply to the responses in order was reading the specs with your link. My fronts will have 125wpc vs. the mini x 100 @ 50wpc. If its selectable to use a mono-block @ 100wpc... then (2) mini's might be a good approach.

*yes, I pulled that number out of thin air. my real point is that I don't think you will need to worry about a 50WPC amp running that content, or a mismatch between front/back, especially if using internal amps for the front highs.

Since they're surrounds, they don't carry a full range load, so they aren't real power hungry. The 75wpc difference from front to back may not be an issue.   

Edited by Nismo

You could split the signal & run 6, or 8 Heights...

Split the signal... from the terminal (or were you thinking the pre-outs)? 

Since Atmos is object based (vs. traditional channel based) splitting the signal would be sending the same information to the front channels & the rear channels, basically duplicating the same audio (front & rear), vs. moving discrete objects from front to back. That approach would limit the Atmos effect, unless I misunderstood your option.

Edited by Nismo

that amp will not run as a monoblock. i think it will be more than sufficient for the content being pushed to those speakers, and more power than you're actually getting from the AVR's internal amps for the front highs.

Emotiva mini-x100 = 50wpc

Klipsch Atmos modules = 50w continuous

Seems like a good match... plus saves me $$$$ (over the XPA-3)  :)

Edited by Nismo

that amp will not run as a monoblock. i think it will be more than sufficient for the content being pushed to those speakers, and more power than you're actually getting from the AVR's internal amps for the front highs.

Seems like a good match... plus saves me $$$$ (over the XPA-3) :)

i love my mini-x. It's a little beast. Wish they made it where it could be bridged.

Seems like a good match... plus saves me $$$$ (over the XPA-3) :)

i love my mini-x. It's a little beast. Wish they made it where it could be bridged.

Agreed. It kicks out 80wpc for my 4ohm subwoofer. I haven't really stress tested it with a "proper demo", but I don't really watch movies at those volumes anyways. So far, it's more than sufficient as a replacement to my now-dead oAudio 500w plate amp.

yay for folded horn subwoofer efficiencies!