Power needs of the smaller Reference Series speakers

tube fanatic

It's unfortunate that we don't have the benefit of a Dope from Hope for Reference Series speakers.  Many forum members have a lot of familiarity with the larger models which have come out, but few seem to have experience with the smaller floor-standing offerings such as the RF-15, 25, 42, 52, and so on.  Installed properly (meaning 18-24" into the room for rear ported models) in small rooms, these speakers offer really amazing musical involvement at relatively low cost.  And, if the listening level isn't extreme, they also need very little power in spite of their somewhat lower efficiency than the Heritage Series speakers.  They can throw a huge soundstage and offer imaging which rivals the best stand mounted monitors.  I've attached a picture of my personal system:  RF-15s spaced 6 feet apart and 24" from the rear wall.  The listening position is 6 feet from the speakers.  The musical involvement has to be experienced to be believed.  And the best part is that such an arrangement allows them to be driven with extremely low power tube amps (I exclusively use flea-power SETs and SEPs).  Take a look at this site, and scroll down to the sound pressure calculator.  I've found it to be very accurate when compared to my actual measurements of power vs. spl in my own system:  http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/calculadores_en.htm

The calculation claims an almost 84 db spl for my RF-15s with only 100 milliwatts per channel (very similar to my own measurements)!  Using an amp which can put out a clean 1 wpc allows the 10 db of headroom which is considered the minimum amount.  This is not an exaggeration, and most of my personal listening rarely requires more than 50 or 60 milliwatts per channel.  Hard to believe, I know!

So, the point here is that those wanting a super high quality audio system for use in a smaller size room can achieve it with fairly low cost.  Don't be afraid to give it a try, using tube amplification of course!

Maynard

post-40520-0-31900000-1438378542_thumb.j

• Like 2

They can throw a huge soundstage and offer imaging which rivals the best stand mounted monitors. I've attached a picture of my personal system: RF-15s spaced 6 feet apart and 24" from the rear wall. The listening position is 6 feet from the speakers. The musical involvement has to be experienced to be believed.

The smaller Reference speakers can make a great system.  For a lot of Pop, Jazz and small band type music they can provide exceptional detail and the midrange is very nice.  A lot of this type music is actually better without more bass from a subwoofer.  Setup has a lot to do with the soundstand and SQ.

• Like 1

I run RB61 IIs on nice metal pole stands ( a set of four) and a small KW100 I picked up new on EBay. The sound is ridiculously good for what I paid. Everything is powered by a good old Marantz SS AVR. Great with movies and even better with music (primarily Jazz). For those of you with small to medium rooms (or in condos or apartments) you can get sound that punches very far above its price point with the Reference line. I have friends with much more expensive stand mount systems that just do not compare.

There is more to Klipsch than the Heritage products.

Edit: Forgot the original question, my Marantz is supposed to put out 100watts over 7 channels. Have no idea if it really does, I prefer 5.1 for TV and movies and 2.1 for music. In my environment I have never needed to come even close to maximum limits. Power to spare.

Edited by YK Thom
  • Like 1