Travis, Seti, and anyone else

BigStewMan

​I’m sitting here listening to Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band’s “Unconditionally Guaranteed.”  Man this album is pure gold! Have you heard it?  

I know the band members HATED it and so did the critics…the critics said it was too commercial (and it’s different than other Beefheart stuff) and the band thought it was not musically challenging -- but, I disagree with both.  It does prove one thing at least, dear old Don knew exactly what he doing.  I love this album. 

The song This is the Day is simply a beautiful song. Or maybe it just brings back memories for me of partying on those hot desert nights and bumping into the Captain at the store.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

• Moderators

​I’m sitting here listening to Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band’s “Unconditionally Guaranteed.”  Man this album is pure gold! Have you heard it?  

I know the band members HATED it and so did the critics…the critics said it was too commercial (and it’s different than other Beefheart stuff) and the band thought it was not musically challenging -- but, I disagree with both.  It does prove one thing at least, dear old Don knew exactly what he doing.  I love this album. 

The song This is the Day is simply a beautiful song. Or maybe it just brings back memories for me of partying on those hot desert nights and bumping into the Captain at the store.

Love to hear your thoughts.

I have never heard that lp, and sort of forgot about it until ypu mentioned it in thisnpost.

I will have to check itniut now.

Travis

• Like 1

I tried, but I just couldn't get into it. Most of CBs efforts are barely music to me like the album "Trout Mask Replica" 

I grew up in that musical era, and the CB stuff would be classic "anti-establishment."  The voice is not pleasant, lyrics are not sung but shouted and not to any rhythm or key signature, it's angry, the musicians play guitar and drums on the 6th grade band level.  The music is atonal and arhythmic, with no major chords.  In short, its harsh, grating, and non-musical.

In some ways he is not the first musician to do this.  I'm thinking of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, which was met by critics with the same rejection as CB for the same reasons.  Eventually the Rite of Spring has come to be accepted, but it's still not a crowd favorite like Firebird or Petrushka.

I tried, but I just couldn't get into it. Most of CBs efforts are barely music to me like the album "Trout Mask Replica" 

I grew up in that musical era, and the CB stuff would be classic "anti-establishment."  The voice is not pleasant, lyrics are not sung but shouted and not to any rhythm or key signature, it's angry, the musicians play guitar and drums on the 6th grade band level.  The music is atonal and arhythmic, with no major chords.  In short, its harsh, grating, and non-musical.

In some ways he is not the first musician to do this.  I'm thinking of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, which was met by critics with the same rejection as CB for the same reasons.  Eventually the Rite of Spring has come to be accepted, but it's still not a crowd favorite like Firebird or Petrushka.

so you're saying that you love it?  :D   I think Ry Cooder would take exception to the 6th grade level guitar opinion  :D   I do understand your assessment though--i do prefer his older stuff that was more commercial; but, the latter stuff wasn't just a mixture of noise -- the result was intentional.  Or maybe I'm just so messed up that I get it?

Hi JL ... safe to assume you don't work for Rolling Stone  :D "Trout Mask Replica ranked #60 on Rolling Stone‍ '​s 2012 list The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time."

I heard an interview with Matt Groening (sp?) creator of The Simpsons. He said when he first heard Trout Mask Replica it was the worst thing he'd ever heard. He couldn't believe Zappa (the producer) would do that to him. About the third listen he realized they were doing it on purpose and by the sixth or seventh time he concluded it was the greatest album of all time. (i'm not going THAT far).

Edited by BigStewMan