Retirement Project: Regional Musical Heritage Center

Mallette

Will probably turn it over to a "real" artist down the line, but holding here for the moment.  Messed around with notes and such for smoke, but not good enough to where it didn't appear contrived. 

The PAW is almost to TXK and will be going through the building with the engineer, architect, and roofing inspector tomorrow.  Last hurdle.  If no issues, and we don't expect any, it's just closing which is pretty fast on a cash deal.

I am going next weekend to TXK to meet with John Tennison, who will be our chief musicologist and is now writing a book on the history of boogie woogie.  I am also going to record his performance with George Buckner.

Should be a lot of fun!  Here's John's blurb on the performance:

"For anyone interested in Texarkana's music history and in Boogie Woogie more generally, I'm pleased to announce that George Buckner and I will be performing improvised Boogie Woogie for piano and drums between 8 and 10 pm on Saturday, August 29, 2015 at the Summerhill Winery in Texarkana, Texas. Some of you might know George Bucker. George played drums with legendary Texarkana musician, Artis Brewster before Brewster passed away in 2008. Starting at 8 pm on August 29 (before George and I perform), I will give a short talk on the history of Boogie Woogie."

Dave

post-7390-0-62220000-1440358666_thumb.jp

Houston is a "go" on finalization of the building acquisition.  The PAW went through with an architect, a structural engineer, and the roofing guy today.  All clean except evidence of a continuing leak at the front known leak site.  We'll probably suggest the seller temporarily patch as they'd indicated it was fully patched. 

Dave

Starting to work on materials for a Facebook and web page.  Appreciate any thoughts and comments on these draft statements.

MISSION STATEMENT:  To provide a center for research, education, and performance of the genres of music originating in and evolving from the Texarkana region and to promote public knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of the role of the area in the American and world musical heritage. 

Long Description, Texarkana Regional Music Heritage Center

At the confluence of two small creeks on the Arkansas/Texas state line it is quiet.  There is the murmur of wind in the trees and trickling water, the twittering of birds, and deer rustling through the underbrush and nothing more.  Long the home of Caddoan tribes little has changed for thousands of years.  But in the distance there is suddenly a sound.  A shrill sound at once mournful and uplifting accompanied by a rhythmic throb never before heard here.  It is a steam engine, and with it comes African-American railroad workers and a rich history of complex rhythmic music that will take root in this area and spread throughout the world.

Within decades barrelhouse music born in sin but cleansed by great masters would become Boogie Woogie, Ragtime, jazz, blues and finally ascend the highest peaks of masterful composition and be compared to the greatest works of Bach.

The two creeks had Caddoan names, now lost.  Today we know them as Swampoodle Creek and Nix Creek.  "Swampoodle" would traverse the world as the name of one of the greatest Boogie Woogie bass figures of all time.  The Boogie Woogie and "ragged" music of the area would be heard and assimilated by a young man named Scott Joplin.  He would combine this music of the common man with the disciplines learned under the tutelage of German music teacher Julian Weiss to create his vision of Ragtime, one of the few American genres of popular music to have rules.  Also from Boogie Woogie would spring Rock n' Roll which would spread throughout the world.  And, in the 20th century, Conlon Nancarrow, son of the mayor of Texarkana, Arkansas would take his roots in the music of the Texarkana region to spend a life in near isolation creating what has become recognized in the past few decades as some of the most rhythmically complex music ever composed and take his place as one of the world's great composers.

The above are only the highlights and the depths have yet to be fully explored and brought to the light of day.  The Texarkana Regional Music Heritage Center will take a leading role in musicological research, performance, and promotion of our areas heritage to the world.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

I have Dr. Robert Willey of LSU, a Nancarrow scholar, and Dominic Murcott of Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance in London, and John Tennison, founder of the Boogie Woogie Foundation, on board as willing advisors and possible board members for the NPO.  Robert and Dominic are associates of Trimpin the sound sculptor and have recommended we consider commissioning him to produce one for the center.  That would be some serious money but the implications of having a world renowned artist work there are massive and so I will make every effort towards making it happen.  Trimpin's "Nancarrow in Purple" was produced from the 100th anniversary of Nancarrow's birth in 2012 and drew world wide attention. 

This morning as I type I am sitting in my childhood home in Texarkana sipping Community coffee and waiting for John Tennison to arrive.  We're going to drive around to a few historic spots in music and I'll give him a tour of the building.  This evening, I'll be recording his concert "Improvisitory Boogie Woogie for Piano and Drums" with George Buckner at the Summerhill Winery in Texarkana at 8PM.  The weather is perfect here this morning and it's going to be a great day! 

I'll need permission, of course, but if I can I'll try to make some of the recording available to you guys.

Dave