ATMOS - ceiling speakers vs. the up firing modules

Paducah Home Theater

Yeah but I would like to know the towers vs modules if the sound is worth the extra price.

Even if you look at the full retail price, by the time you order mains plus the modules you've got $925 per side vs. $1,200 on the FA. You're basically spending $275 to not have the extra module plus have actual real veneer. To me that would be worth it based on looks alone, but you've also got the better performing atmos functionality. However, considering the sales going on plus general street prices, the monetary footprint would be much less. To me it's a no brainer, just not worth messing with both lesser performance as well as lesser looks to save that relatively small amount. If I were doing my room from scratch I'd be putting the FA's as both mains and surrounds. The usual finish on the 280's is not my thing but having real veneer on the models below the RF-7ii is a huge step in the right direction in my opinion, I very much welcome that idea.

yeah but 275 plus 275 plus 200 for matching center is 750$ towards something else like a big ol extra subwoofer

yeah but 275 plus 275 plus 200 for matching center is 750$ towards something else like a big ol extra subwoofer

On the same token you could say well I was going to spend $5,100 on two RF-7ii's, an RC-64ii, and two Atmos modules, but now I'm spending $3,250, have better Atmos performance, almost all of the same looks of the veneer, don't have goofy add-ons sitting on top of the towers, and I have $1,850 left over for multiple extra subs. I think that's a deal.

On the same token you could say well I was going to spend $5,100 on two RF-7ii's, an RC-64ii, and two Atmos modules, but now I'm spending $3,250, have better Atmos performance, almost all of the same looks of the veneer, don't have goofy add-ons sitting on top of the towers, and I have $1,850 left over for multiple extra subs. I think that's a deal.
yeah but now your just taking looks and a slightly better atmos experience into it. You know dang well the 280's ain't no rf-7ii. Lol. We can go back and forth about it all day ;)
  • Like 1

I'm mostly just happy to see them use real veneer on a reference speaker other than RF-7ii's. I'm a fan of the stuff and think it is a good move. I personally am willing to pay a premium for it. I've had the reference premiers next to some RF-7ii's, it's just not the same.

I'm gonna throw this out there concerning a conversation I had with a A/V installer on how "he" installs ceiling speakers when you don't have easy access to prewire. When the sheetrock is already installed and finished, he cuts a straight path to the location with a skill saw, with "blue" tap on the guide to minimize markings, just deep enough to house the speaker wire and some sheetrock mud. Note: this method will incur some mudding, sanding, painting, but you will have in-ceiling mounted speakers if there's no access from above. Give this some consideration if you have "smooth" finished ceilings and a bit handy.

• 2 weeks later...