ATMOS - ceiling speakers vs. the up firing modules

Paducah Home Theater

With Denon & Marantz being cousins... the set up is not identical, but there are similarities since they both share Audyssey MultEQ XT32.

My learning curve for set up might be of some help. Since your Marantz is 9.1, you can connect both pairs of RP-140SA's via the terminals (there's no need for pre-out heights). Your physical Front Height speakers are dedicated terminals for connection (so that's good to go), while your physical Rear Height speakers have a height or wide option, so those will have to be assigned for Heights.

During set up, it should ask if you have 2 or 4 pair of Height Speakers.

pMCBPL.jpg

Then select FRONT DOLBY (do not use any of the other "Front" or "Top" options).

J5EIkG.jpg

Same for the Rear Pair... select SURROUND DOLBY or you may have a BACK DOLBY option for Height 2 (do not select "Top Rear" or "Rear Height" option). Note my image below is for pre-outs with my system... you will have the assignable Height 2 terminal (not pre-outs).

wzpebJ.jpg

Those two selections above, it will recognize the speakers as Upward Firing Add-on Modules for Speaker Detection:

6KqqaF.jpg

===========================

With that initial set up & detection.... you can start Audyssey & it will recognize the RP-140SA as an add-on module.

You might all ready be familiar with that initial process for set-up, but if not... it should be helpful info prior to the normal running of Audyssey.

j4dexU.jpg

If you were to have selected the other Top or Height options in any of the menus... it will not recognize the speakers as add-on modules. It will consider them as in-ceiling speakers of wall mount heights respectively. Jay L. specified with upward firing modules... always use the "Dolby" option.

Congrats on the new RP-140SA's !! Hope you enjoy them with a great Atmos Blu-ray. Transformers AoE & John Wick are two great Atmos Demo discs.

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

What inside of this little box of whoop-a$$ looks like if anybody was interested. I've been dying to see it after Dave commented the following:

"The passive filtering inside one tiny 140SA module is about as complex as that in your front mains and center combined. This is necessary to meet the directivity and frequency response requirements. The result Jay came up with was so good that at CES this year, Dolby was sending people to our Atmos demo because it showcased their technology better than what they brought themselves."

11219403_10153272019854401_4210769644879

• Like 3

Nismo - I must have missed a setting.  I have the 4100x and did not see where you can select from Dolby Enabled and ceiling speaks.  Did I miss a selection or did it recognize your modules?  I have the cheap Onkyo versions at the moment until I get my house built.  It selected ceiling speakers for my two modules.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark

• Like 1

Nismo - I must have missed a setting.  I have the 4100x and did not see where you can select from Dolby Enabled and ceiling speaks.  Did I miss a selection or did it recognize your modules?  I have the cheap Onkyo versions at the moment until I get my house built.  It selected ceiling speakers for my two modules.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark

Hi Mark, the set up menu is a bit confusing with Denon & Atmos... specifically when using upward firing modules like the RP-140SA's. The set up procedure for the upward firing modules is different than when using ceiling speakers. I'll try & cover a lot of ground (most you may already know, so forgive me if I cover some of the basics), but even the basics could be helpful to others in the future.

===============================

After you push the Setup Button (on the remote), select "Speakers" from the setup menu.... then select "Audyssey Setup".  Before you click "Start"... go up to click "Amp Assign" (the 1st section bar).

Under Assign Mode: Scroll thru & select 9.1ch (if you have both front & rear pair of Onkyo's)

Select 7.1ch (if you only have front Onkyo's)

Then drop down to Height Speakers: Scroll thru & select "Using Dolby Speakers".

Then drop down to Height Layout: Scroll thru & select "Front Dolby & Surround Dolby" (if you have both front & rear Onkyo's)

Select "Front Dolby" (if you only have front Onkyo's)

If you have rear Onkyo's, then drop down to Pre-out: Scroll thru & select "Surround Dolby"

That Amp Assign set-up will give you the upward firing module graphic layout.

**  I know that selecting 9.1 seems weird for the 1st Assign Mode selection, especially since you bypass the Dolby Atmos selection. But if you select Dolby Atmos, it only provides ceiling options for layout (it will not offer the upward firing modules, only the 9.1 or 7.1 option will provide the upward firing modules). 

So, do the Amp Assign first. Then you can select "Start" to begin Audyssey Calibration. 

================

Also when calibrating with Audyssey, be sure to select Front Dolby & Surround Dolby (like my screen captures on post #23). Hope that helps out. Let me know if it works for you.

• Like 1

No problem Mark. Since the X4100W is one of the first Denon's to have Atmos (it came out over a year ago), keep in mind there were only 2 Atmos upward firing speakers available when it launched (Def Tech & Onkyo). So, the newer Denon's might have a better (less confusing set up) when using the upward firing modules.  Good luck with the new set up. I still have a setup question that I need to ask Jay L for his input... I need to check/confirm some stuff this week.

And no I have no idea what the difference is. I know someone put it there for a reason when using 6 modules. Does it make a difference when only using 4? Not sure, but I stick with verbiage and pictures that match the layout I am working with.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Also remember if your rear modules are on your back surrounds, choose rear dolby. You would only choose "dolby surround" if your height module was sitting near or on your side surround speakers.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

My seating is right up against the back wall, so my RS-7's are not configured as "Surround Back"... I have the RS-7's configured as "Surround". My RS-7's are positioned directly left & right of the MLP... so that's why I have my RP-140SA's also configured as "Surround Dolby" vs. "Rear Dolby".

In my case, since the RS-7's are configured as "Surround"... "Rear Dolby" is not an available option for the RP-140SA's (only "Surround Dolby"). Should I switch the RS-7's to "Surround Back"... and then configure the RP-140SA's as "Rear Dolby" ?

Edited by Nismo

I wouldn't keep that setup... just might try it out temporarily to see what the upward firing modules sound like with "Rear Dolby" selected vs. my current "Surround Dolby" set up. Jay keeps saying to use "Rear Dolby"... & that's the only way it can be selected for me. Curious to hear what it does.

Back to the topic, MLO - What do you think of the modules?

Hope to run wire and hook them up tonight. After staring at them for awhile I can say that I agree with Jay that if you're starting from scratch, get the veneer'ed towers with the built in modules. These look a little funny just sitting there plus the towers have 6.5's.  This winter I'll probably put in some ceiling speakers and will be able to directly compare.  Need to spend my free time building acoustic panels in the meantime.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Yeah but I would like to know the towers vs modules if the sound is worth the extra price. Cause they are quite a bit more. Plus they would not look so goofy on top of a rp-250/260/280. Rf-7ii are huge. Course they are gonna look tiny. So now we need someone to order the towers and modules to compare

Edited by Scrappydue

Yeah but I would like to know the towers vs modules if the sound is worth the extra price. 

Even if you look at the full retail price, by the time you order mains plus the modules you've got $925 per side vs. $1,200 on the FA.  You're basically spending $275 to not have the extra module plus have actual real veneer.  To me that would be worth it based on looks alone, but you've also got the better performing atmos functionality.  However, considering the sales going on plus general street prices, the monetary footprint would be much less.  To me it's a no brainer, just not worth messing with both lesser performance as well as lesser looks to save that relatively small amount.  If I were doing my room from scratch I'd be putting the FA's as both mains and surrounds.  The usual finish on the 280's is not my thing but having real veneer on the models below the RF-7ii is a huge step in the right direction in my opinion, I very much welcome that idea.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

True. Right now if you wanted the full (6.5" integrated drivers) front & back...

You'll need (4) RP-280FA's = $4800 (msrp)

Even with (2-front) RP-280FA's & (2-rear) RP-140SA (add-on modules) = $2900 (msrp)

While (4-front & back) RP-140SA (add-on modules) = $1000 (msrp)

I'm more than happy with my (4) RP-140SA's... since I have no desire to replace my RF-7's,

I'll have years of enjoyment with them.... until a larger 6.5" or 8" add-on module may or may not come out.