What kind of questions when buying used

The Dude

So recently I had was browsing cl and ebay looking for a decent receiver I could use as a pre that would fit my needs.  I cam across this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252067237226?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Happened to see it the day it was posted, looked at the feed back %100 ok looks, everything looks to be good, what is wrong with it.  Add says guarantee to work or money back, so I am only out shipping it back.  I haven't given it a full test run to see if it works, but when I pulled it out It smells to me of cigarette smoke,  I all so notice something else(let me know if you can see it).  Which then raises a red flag, I mean I will see if the guy will let me demo it for a few days to verify everything works and continues to work.  

I just need to learn to ask better questions. 

So what kind of questions do you ask when purchasing something.

Several.  Sorry you had to learn the hard way.  

First..."Where did you (the seller) originally buy this product?" - I ask that to see if they got it from a store or from some alien planet e.g. their garage.

Even if listed, I ask for the serial number or at least half of it, so I can check if that serial has ever existed with the manufacturer.  Anyone honest should be able and willing to give you say half of the serial.  If possible, request the first half, which is either a lot # or coded manufacturing date.

(This next part is less honest) but...

If you don't trust the seller and they don't have specific details on the product, but they have listed a 'model' number, ask a question that they should know.  Say the receiver is 5.1 and you know that, ask the seller how good it sounded with all 7 channels plugged in.  Which it obviously doesn't have 7 channels, but if they say, "It sounded great with 7 speakers plugged in!", you will know it's fake.

Hope some of that makes sense.

Edited by busht4169
  • Like 1

I give, is it bowed in?

Its hard to see unless you zoom in. But there are two screws missing on the top of the back panel. The scrws on the side are missmatched. Which tells me that the unit has been taken apart. Who knows maybe the owner knew it smelled like smoke so had taken it apart to clean it. Or maybe did a quick repair to get it to come on and work for a bit.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk