SVS SB2000 / Dual 12"

Nismo

keep in mind EVERY amp has a different gain structure! my pair of svs pb-13 ultras had the new sledge amp. i calibrated the with the gain 95% of the way up. i got my buddy an svs pb-13 ultra with the original bash amp. when i set my buddies up and went calibrate with the gain there we about destroyed the woofer. some quick research i found out that amp was the exact opposite. so calibrated it only needed to be about 18% of the way up. 

I didn't start that high... gain was initially set lower via Audyssey.  But during playback... LFE wasn't even audible from the sub with Audyssey settings. I only advanced the gain to hear it during playback. I performed numerous setups, both as a single configuration & in a dual set up with another sub, yet the result was the same .After my last calibration (with matching sub SPL) & during playback the PSA gain had to be turned up to 3:00 position, while the SVS was around 11:00-11:30. And the PSA sounded terrible, it wasn't even there, yet the SVS was performing quite normal. Granted, I'm not basing any assessment just on "gain" settings, just using that as a form of baseline or example of what's taking place. I cannot believe a "perfectly" working XS30 will need to have those elevated settings in my space & if it did (based on gain difference) it would at least sound great (loud but great). lol

I guess that's why I consider my particular XS30 has somehow become defective. In fact I usually set my phase based on content that I can observed to be "louder" while adjusting the phase position. The audible LFE was never apparent enough to even select my phase. Even when calibrating matching dB's for a dual set up with the smaller 12" SVS SB-2000... the levels for each were within a dB... so Audssey wasn't doing something funky like over compensating for the larger 15" dual driver of the PSA & dialing it way back by comparison. Also nothing funky with Audyssey room compensations after calibration (distance, levels, XO, etc.)

I was watching The Matrix & the SVS was kicking & punching with impact... while nothing from the PSA. Which make no sense. And why I have to believe there is something defective with mine.  I must stress... with my comparisons, I'm not saying that the SVS is better than PSA or vice versa. The examples are meant to indicate there must be an issue with my PSA & something is not right with my sub. Its not meant to read as a heads up comparison by any means. I was mainly using the SVS just to demonstrate that the location, RCA & preouts are all 100% & ruling those out as possible issues.

Edited by Nismo

Nismo,

Finally read this thread did not know the 2 were connected...... Hmmmmm going to have to think about this.....

Thanks for the reply

No problem oldred.... by 2 connected... meaning the that XS30se is a (single sub) featuring both dual front & rear 15" drivers? In that instance, yes it is. I've personally only ever owned front firing, single driver subs. Thought a dual driver sub might fill the room from a different perspective & negate the need for a traditional "dual-2-sub" set up (both with single drivers). Sorry for the confusion with all the dual driver (single sub) vs traditional single driver (with dual sub setup) cross-talk.

If you have concerns with placement & orientation of a dual driver sub... PSA offers numerous single driver subs that might fit your needs. I have officially "retired" the attempt to make the XS30se work in my space. But, I chalk that up to a potential damage or defect that may have occurred during transit (nothing to do with the fact that its a dual driver sub).

Switching gears, over the past weekend I've started to spend time with, calibrate & dial in the (2) 12" SB-2000's from SVS. Position & placement of both subs was an easy setup process, they performed  & delivered solid, quality LFE with the many tried & true & familiar discs that I have become most familiar with. Prior to my current upgrade "itch"... my HT employed a dual 12" setup, that also performed very well. Except in my case, the 12" subs were not matching, so while I benefited from having dual subs in place, the room was slightly off balance, with the left side having more punch & growl, than the right side. The SB-2000's obviously are matching subs & therefore they do address the even & balance aspect I was looking for. But if I'm going to spend $$$ to upgrade my previous sub setup, they should also dig a bit deeper. Extension is more desired than output with my small to average space (a space that does not demand tremendous output). The SB-2000's present an effective LFE experience, but aside from the benefit of having 2 "matching subs", they seem  more of a lateral move from my previous dual set up. Certainly not a nearly $1400 upgrade. 

Moving forward, I plan to stay with a dual sub set up (2 single driver units) so, tomorrow I plan to talk with Tom from PSA & discuss the 15" XS15se and the 15" S1500 as new possibilities. Certainly either of those 2 options should represent a true upgrade.... if not, I'll keep my $$$ and my previous set up which worked very well for years in my space. Upgrade itch be dayumed. lol

f not, I'll keep my $$$ and my previous set up which worked very well for years in my space. Upgrade itch be dayumed. lol
yeah right! 

I gotta believe bringing home (2) of the 15" XS15se's would provide a genuine upgrade. Ever since I've upgraded the "top end" with Atmos... I've been wanting to upgrade the "low end" with new subs. After I bring home the right subs, I should hopefully be set for awhile. 

Don't get me wrong, if I was starting fresh (or need to replace a sub that died) the SVS SB-2000's would perfectly fit the bill as a solid replacement option. But, I was looking to upgrade & they didn't represent a significant enough upgrade for the $$$.

Since you weren't impressed with a PSA sub already, you could always try dual Gamma 15's ;)

The Gamma is quite similar to the S1500 from PSA, but comes in $150 less with a dual set up. It would make for another great 15" option.

Probably not fair to say I wasn't impressed with the PSA, pretty sure (in my case) it's a damaged example.

Let me know when your Gamma arrives from Reaction. Be curious to hear your impressions. It should be a good one.  

I am sure the Rythmik will trounce the Gamma, especially down low but I have always loved sealed subs and my room is so small, I should get some pretty solid room gain. The Rythmik just won't fit the new place but the gamma fits perfectly. Might order another one if I like what I hear and use them as near field end tables flanking my couch.

PSA makes some solid gear, I was just messing with you and trying to give Jeremy a little extra business at the same time. I can't wait to hear your impressions of dual 15's, it seems we are headed in the same general LFE direction..

Edited by K5SS