Audioquest Jitterbug review

tromprof

Recently in a thread on this forum the Audioquest Jitterbug was brought up. 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/159338-hi-tech-is-making-hi-fi-very-affordable/

The reactions to the claims for this device were generally skeptical and I wrote that I would try one next time I ordered from Amazon since returns are so easy. Well, it arrived early this week along with a new SS hard drive for my laptop.

http://www.audioquest.com/jitterbug/jitterbug

The claims for this little sub $50 device are that if placed between a USB DAC and a computer it would "improve dynamic contrast, warmth, and resolution."

I will admit I was not unbiased going in, I pretty much figured it was BS but...

The system I tried it on consists of:

Teac AH01 integrated amp (B&O Ice Power) with built in DAC 

Basic desktop computer running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, Intel I3 processor, JRiver Media Center 20

Klipschorns with Crites A4500 crossovers, CT125 tweeters, and ALK trachorns with K55 drivers.

The day the Jitterbug arrived I plugged it into the USB slot on the computer, plugged the DACs USB cable into it, and left the room to make dinner. I couldn't tell any change of sound, but I was not AB-ing it and I wasn't even in the same room.

The next day I chance to sit down and go back and forth plugging the DAC into the Jitterbug and then straight into the computer. I used several of my favorite well recorded tracks, mostly small ensemble jazz.

The results.

I am not sure it does everything that it claims it will but it actually does improve the sound quite noticeably. Image, clarity, and sound-stage were all greatly improved. I would liken the difference to that of an MP3 vs a CD. Warmth and dynamic contrast? Not so much. Warmth to me implies it colors the sound, and it didn't. Dynamic contrast, if it was there is is really subtle.

I am by nature a cheapskate and bought this purely so I could listen to it, declare it a failure or something of little worth, and give it back to Amazon. However, I am keeping it. For my setup it is a cheap and easy improvement, I have spent a lot more money to get far less of a gain. 

One thing I looked for was whether it improved the sound of a MacBook by only plugging it into a MacBook USB port without having anything plugged into it.  Although that seems improbable, It actually happens on my MacBookPro with a Dragonfly 1.0.  However, Audioquest doesn't believe that, and a Dragonfly 1.2 (upgraded model) doesn't do it in any case.  I'm glad you had a good result with the Jitterbug.

"Warmth to me implies it colors the sound..."

The sound should be "natural", but people have been listening to an over-exaggerated midrange and upper end for so long, that "natural" sounds "warm", when it actually isn't - and you can easily achieve a naturalness to the sound without giving up detail. When Colter fired up his re-capped LaScalas for me a couple of years ago, I felt like covering my ears - I cannot for the life of me figure out how you guys can listen to a speaker with that much mid/HF energy. I went home and recreated the build, and though not quite as obnoxious because of differences in gear, it wasn't something I could imagine living with.

Edited by Deang