Looking to buy a TV

A1UC

• Moderators

Wow what a surprise, asked a question and the end result is advice to spend twice as much as originally intended, that's like a first on this forum :o

Ok it's always nice the look at the best, can't really blame anyone for that.  :lol:

Wow what a surprise, asked a question and the end result is advice to spend twice as much as originally intended, that's like a first on this forum :o

Ok it's always nice the look at the best, can't really blame anyone for that.  :lol:

Sony LED 3800$

LG OLED 5000$

hardly.

it's another $1200 for the best monitor out there in that size range. that's the direction I would go as opposed to finding a interim unit at 3/4's the cost

I just read about OLED and learned these are the TV's with curved screens.  Does anyone own one of these?  I would not buy one.

The curved screen provides a cool 3d like effect but its only good if its the perfect size for how far you are from the screen and not off axis at all. So pretty much not good for 99% of home theaters unless you have it in a driving sim or something. 

One thing to remember it will only be about 5 years or less and todays TV's will be old news.

Before I was all Plasma because when LED first came out I couldn't stand it but now them seem pretty decent .

This is where good active backlighting helps with the blacks.

Good luck

I did that with my TV and it makes a huge difference. I have mine on  stand so I got some lag bolts from Lowes and screwed them in to the wall mounting holes in the back of the TV and put an extra florescent fish tank light on the bolts facing the back wall. There is a certain temp you are supposed to use but I just used what I had then re calibrated my white balance from my THX Fight Club DVD.

• Moderators
twk123, on 08 Oct 2015 - 3:14 PM, said:

dtel, on 05 Oct 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

One thing to remember it will only be about 5 years or less and todays TV's will be old news.

A1UC, on 05 Oct 2015 - 08:10 AM, said: Before I was all Plasma because when LED first came out I couldn't stand it but now them seem pretty decent .

This is where good active backlighting helps with the blacks.

Good luck

I did that with my TV and it makes a huge difference. I have mine on  stand so I got some lag bolts from Lowes and screwed them in to the wall mounting holes in the back of the TV and put an extra florescent fish tank light on the bolts facing the back wall. There is a certain temp you are supposed to use but I just used what I had then re calibrated my white balance from my THX Fight Club DVD.

I have seen that before but don't know much about it, it's not the same backlighting I was talking about.  The backlighting I was talking about is in the Tv and is active with what's on the screen, this video describes it.

http://content.webcollage.net/apps/cs/mini-site/bestbuy/module/vizio/wcpc/1425664273259/tab/demo-2b105768?suppress-site-prefs=&enable-reporting=true&from-pp=&wc-target=&showtabs=&channel-product-id=1219606085774