Klipsch RB75 $700 Phoenix, AZ

willum24

I ask these questions because my own experience, ears, and "sensitivity" are not all that great in comparison with the "old timers" here on the Forum.  Is hard for me to understand how the particular speakers, cabinets and size,  and intangibles of an admittedly large bookshelf (the 75) could really come close to or equal the performance of a good-sized floor speaker.

When I first demoed my RB-75's, I knew right away they were something special.  I A-B'd them back and forth with my RF-63's and was even more pleased at what I heard.  When I moved the 75's to the living room with their own 2-channel rig, the smile got bigger.  A few weeks later I moved my RSW-10d in with the 75's and the missing piece of the puzzle was added.  Voila, "full range" speakers now in the living room.

Bill 

^ Bill, am sure you know what you are talking about.

Being less experienced (and equipped!), it is hard for me to see how a very good, large bookshelf  could match the fullness, power, and dexterity of a very good large floor standing speaker such as the KLF 30 or 20.  Maybe it can, or can come so close as to be a close call at the plate.  

Would the same be true in a large® setting, perhaps with 6-7000 ft3?

^ Bill, am sure you know what you are talking about.

Being less experienced (and equipped!), it is hard for me to see how a very good, large bookshelf  could match the fullness, power, and dexterity of a very good large floor standing speaker such as the KLF 30 or 20.  Maybe it can, or can come so close as to be a close call at the plate.  

Would the same be true in a large® setting, perhaps with 6-7000 ft3?

Yes I think it can be.  For example, my RSW-10d integrated properly with my RB-75's sounds about as good as any full range tower speaker I have ever heard.  The room I have that setup in is about 5900ft3 and the combination has no problem filling the room with low distortion sound.  My seating position is about 8ft away in an almost perfect 8.5' x 8.5' x 8' equilateral triangle.  Believe me, the combo has huge presence and sounds full range tower big.

In other words, the right "bookshelf" speakers with the right subwoofer with the right amplification in the right room set up properly, can compete with full range tower speakers.

Bill

Bill

Your family room is 5900 square feet? And the 75s can fill it with quality sound? I know their reputation is great, but thats a lot of space to fill

Just curious,

Mark

Yes my family room is more like 5900ft3 but where my RB-75's are(living room/dining room/foyer) is about a recalculated 5400ft3.  With the subwoofer, the 75's do a wonderful job in the space, La Scala wonderful no, but still wonderful.  Keep in mind that my main listening position is on a sofa about 8.5' away from each speaker.  I am not doing any critical listening and trying to hear 100dB from the furthest point in the space which is about 28' from the speakers.

I was offered a pair of B stock cherry for $500 and passed.

Nice price.  Definitely worth it just for a demo.  If in good condition, the cherry 75's will sell all day at that price.

Bill 

• Like 1

People that have never heard a nice pair of bookshelf speakers integrated with a solid performing subwoofer are missing out. Towers just can't capture the lows like a quality sub can, especially for HT.

I loved my 63's but I would take my RB-5's and Rythmik sub any day of the week over just the 63's. Now the 63's with the Rythmik, that's a different story;)