Hard decision between RF82 and RP280 (Update)

grandcarrera

The center channel was not in that mix. Only towers & possible add-on.

=============

RP-280F $1200

RP-140SA: $1000 (2 pair)

Total: $2200

=============

RP-280FA: $2400

You're still not comparing apples to apples even then though.  If you're going to use four Atmos modules with the 280F's you need to throw in another $499 for a set on the 280FA's.  You're $700 off at that point.  There is no way to configure these where the difference is only $200.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Yes I can. He's building the system, possibly in stages. 

If he first goes with RP-280FA's... he can test out how he enjoys Atmos... without the need to purchase RP-140SA's.

That initial investment with integrated 280FA's would only be $2400.

=============

If he were to use RP-280F's (non-Atmos)... he would eventually have to purchase (2-pair) of RP-140sa's = $2200.

Building his Atmos HT... he would automatically start out saving $$ not spent on a lesser speaker & get a best option (280FA) in the process.

If later, as he builds the Atmos HT.. he can add a pair of RP-140SA for the rear. Then it would be a $700 difference, but it would be a well spent $700.

Yes I can. He's building the system, possibly in stages.

If he first goes with RP-280FA's... he can test out how he enjoys Atmos... without the need to purchase RP-140SA's.

That initial investment with integrated 280FA's would only be $2400.

=============

If he were to use RP-280F's (non-Atmos)... he would eventually have to purchase (2-pair) of RP-140sa's = $2200.

Building his Atmos HT... he would automatically start out saving $$ not spent on a lesser speaker & get a best option (280FA) in the process.

If later, as he builds the Atmos HT.. he can add a pair of RP-140SA for the rear. Then it would be a $700 difference, but it would be a well spent $700.

i like how you immediately assume anyone that does atmos will be doing 4 ceiling channels. Maybe he will only do two. Now your math is all jacked up again. Lol :)

i like how you immediately assume anyone that does atmos will be doing 4 ceiling channels. Maybe he will only do two. Now your math is all jacked up again. Lol :)

btw, I never even mentioned ceiling channels/speakers.  I think you Jack has a Daniels behind it. lol

Trust me... if you have 2 Atmos speakers... you will want 4.

btw, I never even mentioned ceiling channels/speakers. I think you Jack has a Daniels behind it. lol

sorry I said ceiling, that's where atmos sounds come from.

I think I will go with the RP-280FA,  :wacko: more money to spend.

To the people that have it already what do you guys think about the Atmos on those? 

Except for the designers, I imagine there's only a couple of us here who has even seen them in person, and Atmos hasn't been demo'ed yet.  They ought to be way better than the 140's and according to Jay the designer here, they are.  

I say this, you can NOT go wrong with a set of RP-280FA. This will give you the best Atmos experience Klipsch has to offer, actually I'd say anyone can offer. My gut says it will work fine with DTS material as well. As soon as I get material on hand, I will test this. Nothing is inherently wrong with the idea of what a DAES can do with someone else's algorithm. 

If you don't mind Nismo, can you explain what you have?  I cut and pasted from your signature quote, the 5.2.2 setup:

Klipsch: RF-7 (L/R Front), RC-7 (Center), RS-7 (L/R Surround)

(4) Klipsch RP-140SA Atmos Modules / 2 Front Heights, 2 Rear Heights

Dual 12" SVS SB-2000

So you've got RF-7's, and surrounds.  Four upward firing Atmos modules which you describe as Front and Rear heights.  I get the front two RP-140SA are on the towers, how are the back two mounted, on stands?

I think I get it now that I've typed it out, but technically the front height is another kind of speaker setup, (as in height or wides).  Is the description of the front heights now an obsolete term, or is there another term for Atmos front heights?

I had the same terminology confusion when Scrappydue mentioned "ceiling" speakers.  He was using that term to describe the Atmos sound bouncing off the ceiling, which is different from ceiling speakers mounted in the ceiling.

I just want to make sure I'm using the right terminology.

I'm So since RP-450C is the same as RP-450CA should I just go with RP-450C to save some money.

I'm going to get RP-280 FA in black anyway so i don't think it will looks different.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

its only a 100$ more right? Do you really wanna have a nice black veneer and a cheap looking plastic vinyl wrap? Not saying the regular finish is awful but anyone that has owned a vinyl wrapped speaker and a veneer covered speaker will tell you the banner is much nicer. Don't be a cheapskate. You will always regret it in the end. But once cry once lol.

If you don't mind Nismo, can you explain what you have? I cut and pasted from your signature quote, the 5.2.2 setup:

Klipsch: RF-7 (L/R Front), RC-7 (Center), RS-7 (L/R Surround)

Dual 12" SVS SB-2000

So you've got RF-7's, and surrounds. Four upward firing Atmos modules which you describe as Front and Rear heights. I get the front two RP-140SA are on the towers, how are the back two mounted, on stands?

I think I get it now that I've typed it out, but technically the front height is another kind of speaker setup, (as in height or wides). Is the description of the front heights now an obsolete term, or is there another term for Atmos front heights?

I had the same terminology confusion when Scrappydue mentioned "ceiling" speakers. He was using that term to describe the Atmos sound bouncing off the ceiling, which is different from ceiling speakers mounted in the ceiling.

yeah at is is stupid consisting. At least Nismo always makes it seem that way. Yeah atmost are technically height channels. So he lists them that way. He is a copy and paste kind of dude. I say ceiling cause that's where the sound is coming from. And to me that is the only way to go. If I ever go atmos I will go all out. Ceiling channels.
  • Like 1

I just want to make sure I'm using the right terminology

If the speaker is "approved by Dolby" then it is without a doubt a DAES solution. Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers are any speaker certified by Dolby that fires into the ceiling. I like to use term DAES, problem is you always want to type "speaker" twice. :)

Yes, you will want 4 "Height plane" speakers, regardless of the method for reproduction. It is just that much better. 

• Like 1

I'm So since RP-450C is the same as RP-450CA should I just go with RP-450C to save some money.

I'm going to get RP-280 FA in black anyway so i don't think it will looks different.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

its only a 100$ more right? Do you really wanna have a nice black veneer and a cheap looking plastic vinyl wrap? Not saying the regular finish is awful but anyone that has owned a vinyl wrapped speaker and a veneer covered speaker will tell you the banner is much nicer. Don't be a cheapskate. You will always regret it in the end. But once cry once lol.

You're right

I just want to make sure I'm using the right terminology -Dave S

If the speaker is "approved by Dolby" then it is without a doubt a DAES solution. Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers are any speaker certified by Dolby that fires into the ceiling. I like to use term DAES, problem is you always want to type "speaker" twice. :) Yes, you will want 4 "Height plane" speakers, regardless of the method for reproduction. It is just that much better.

Thank you for the clarification.  In my world, words matter, and I try to keep my language up-to-date since the technology is also changing.  Do you pronounce DAES as "days?"

So in the example above, Nismo would have 2 front DAES and 2 rear DAES.  Would that be the correct way to phrase that?

How would you describe 2 front DAES if they were embedded in the ceiling?

Edited by wvu80

If you don't mind Nismo, can you explain what you have?  I cut and pasted from your signature quote, the 5.2.2 setup:

Klipsch: RF-7 (L/R Front), RC-7 (Center), RS-7 (L/R Surround)

Dual 12" SVS SB-2000

So you've got RF-7's, and surrounds.  Four upward firing Atmos modules which you describe as Front and Rear heights.  I get the front two RP-140SA are on the towers, how are the back two mounted, on stands?

I think I get it now that I've typed it out, but technically the front height is another kind of speaker setup, (as in height or wides).  Is the description of the front heights now an obsolete term, or is there another term for Atmos front heights?

I had the same terminology confusion when Scrappydue mentioned "ceiling" speakers.  He was using that term to describe the Atmos sound bouncing off the ceiling, which is different from ceiling speakers mounted in the ceiling.

I have 5.2.4 with a pair of RP-140SA's on top of my RF-7's.

And a pair of RP-140SA's on top of my RS-7's. My RS-7's are on stands with corner placement. They are on an angle, so the 140's can be placed on them accordingly. If my RS-7's were mounted flush to either the back or side wall...  I could not place the 140's on them.

================

Good question with the "front height or rear height" designation in my signature. I chose that description to indicate the 140SA's were were sending audio to the "height plane" above. Plus, when making the physical speaker connection to the AVR... you connect the speaker to either the "Height 1" or "Height 2" terminal. I can see where the descriptive terminology can get confusing. The generic term for the RP-140SA would be an up-firing speaker, whether integrated within a tower or an separate add-on module.

With an Atmos configuration, Klipsch calls the RP-140SA (add-on modules): Elevation Speakers. 

Denon designates them: Front Dolby, Rear Dolby or Surround Dolby (depending on placement).

Marantz calls them: Front Dolby Enabled, Rear Dolby Enabled, or Surround Dolby Enabled (depending on placement).

Onkyo calls them: Dolby Enabled Speaker (Front, Back or Surround).

Dolby calls them either up-firing speakers or DAES (Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers).

================

I might change my signature reference, so that the up-firing RP-140SA's are not confused with a traditional (vertical wall mount) height.

• Like 1