Subs or Surrounds?

Cybernalt

The short story is I lost my 1977 Cornwalls in a fire, and the insurance company will allow me to replace in kind, but since cornwalls are no longer made, I get to go up one step.

I have therefore purchased - sound unheard - a pair of Belles.

For HT - Everyone is recommending subwoofers, and large centers and side as well. I have two real problem - the second worse that the first.

Easy Problem - I have limited funds, and cannot afford all the speakers needed. Am I better with a great pair of subs, or finding a smaller but quality set of side-fills and a center?

Harder Problem - I'm married, and the wife will be a hard sell on large side-fill and a center speakers.

The Room - is very large - 30 feet wide x 36 feet long with a tray ceiling from 8 to 15 feet and the couch positioned along the "short" wall about 12 feet from the screen and 15 feet triangular to the Belles.

Any thoughts?

Cybernalt,

Sorry to hear about the Cornwalls, but you sure have a nice insurance company to replace them with Belle's.

In my opinion, for HT, go for the surrounds first. In most movies, unless all you watch is action/adventure/sci-fi, there is more content in the surrounds than the subs. Find a pair of Heresy's and hang them behind and to the sides of the listening position. You can do without a center if your Belle's are not too far apart, just use the phantom center mode on your receiver. Eventually you will want a sub and front and rear centers and ... it never stops.

Since you have the Belle's, what you really need is a pair of K-horns for front L&R, LaScalas for rear L&R and use the Belle's for front and rear centers. I am 2/3 of the way there, I just need Belle's to be complete.

Good luck and let us know how the progress is.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scalas (mains), SF-2 Center (pair), RS-3 Surrounds, RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Living Room:

Yamaha RX-V590, 1978 Klipschorns Mainsc>s>

surrounds next,sub last.

speaker size/matching-do the best you can w/in the realm of aesthetics(w.a.f.)

jtkinney offered some good advise also. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Hi again.

Depends upon what you listen to the most, and what you find yourself missing the most.

Have you set up the Belles yet? If not, do not make any decisions until you have listened to the Belles. If you have listened to them, do you find yourself wondering "Where's the BASS?" or do they go deep enough for the kind of music you listen to?

If you spend 90% of your time listening to two channel stereo, and 10% of your time watching movies, and you want more bass than you get with just the Belles, I'd go the subwoofer route first. If you spend a lot of time watching movies, and you really miss surround sound, then I'd go with the surrounds. If you watch a lot of movies and wish the bass dynamics were more exciting, I'd go with the subs. If you mostly listen to music, don't feel any urgent need to pump up the bass, and find watching movies to be fine with just the main two channel setup for now, I'd hold off on the sub OR the surrounds and address your other question about the amp first.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I say subwoofers (2) and center, first. Surrounds could be a $20 RatShack speaker for a while, if they become important.

Since Belles are so powerful and low distortion, you'll need 2 powerful subs to have a chance of keeping pace and having low enough distortion to blend in. SVS can be bought online and is said to have subwoofers that can fill the bill. I use a pair of VMPS subs and a 400 wpc amp with my La Scalas. When in the corners the VMPS can match loudness up to my personal limits, even on Stone Temple Pilots.

I use a KLF-C7 as my center. It is not a perfect match, but is close and sounds great. It can match the La Scalas to the levels I can tolerate, as well.

John

This message has been edited by John Albright on 08-20-2002 at 04:54 PM

go with the subs, if you listen to music, you'll want them. 2 would be nice like previously stated, but 1 high quality one would be cool too. Quality surrounds aren't too important in my opinion. They're nice to have, but I think you can get by with the cheap best buy ones until you have the money for nicer.

------------------

-Trevor