Amp Upgrade or not?

Jim

I have read some posts from this sloth guy.......I agree with some of his views but he seemed like a jerk about it. 

The sloth, with whom I'm still in touch, told me he saw this comment and was a bit insulted.  But, given the season, he won't make an issue of it :D.  He did say that JP's under-chassis work is as good as his own and that Jim should have a very fine sounding piece of equipment.  Too bad I don't live near either of them.  If we were all in the same locale we could develop and market a line of amps which would be without equal!

Maynard

• Like 2

I have read some posts from this sloth guy.......I agree with some of his views but he seemed like a jerk about it. 

The sloth, with whom I'm still in touch, told me he saw this comment and was a bit insulted.  But, given the season, he won't make an issue of it :D.  He did say that JP's under-chassis work is as good as his own and that Jim should have a very fine sounding piece of equipment.  Too bad I don't live near either of them.  If we were all in the same locale we could develop and market a line of amps which would be without equal!

Maynard

I could always act as the middle man with distribution, both sides build em, and I'll get em and put em out there for others.

Amp just came in. I hooked it up and am playing some things.

1st impressions are it's tighter with bass response, crisper with mids and highs. Only listened to the 3rd song on my hard drive as I'm typing this, so I need to go through several more things. No clipping like it was, goes louder, and highs are super crisp.

So far so good. Moving the speakers as well.

More updates later. Good job JP !!!

• Like 1

JP, I'm happy that you're happy that Jim's happy, and soon Jim will be even "happy-er" because he's getting what Richard dubbed "The Happy Amp."  In fact, Jim is going to be so happy that we'll see a video of him on the nightly news doing his version of this on the streets of Fords, NJ!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZSe6N_BXs

Merry Christmas all!

Maynard

• Like 2

I just wanted to thank JP for an outstanding job he did on the amp. I have been playing around with it for the last few days and my initial response is still true to what I said initially.

I've been swapping out the tubes with the originals and others I purchased. The originals seem to be the weak link when being used. They are looser in sound and bass response isn't as good. Not saying the other tubes are "magical" but they do make a difference in how tight things are.

If anyone is in my shoes and wants to get into tubes, they should get one of these entry level amps and have it modded. You'll be into a very good amp for less than $500.00.

Next up for JP is my Sansui AU-70. My original plans with that didn't work out as I wanted, so this one will go to him as he has my full trust and confidence in working on it.

Seems to me so far, the EL34's sound better than the 6CA7's and the NOS Tung Sol sound better than the Sylvania or Russian version 6N9P (6SL7GT).

I have the PSVANE EL-34-B in there now, and will be trying out the 3 other sets I have in that number. The Russian version of the 6N9P sounds like there is a piece of glass or something in front of the speakers, the Chinese 6N9P sound thin and the Sylvania sound about 2nd best.

Clearly you hear a difference between the two different power tubes so it appears they are different. For anyone more familiar with Chinese tubes than I maybe you can help me out here.

Here is the datasheets from Shuguang factory:

http://analogmetric.com/download/Shuguang%20Beijing%20Vacuum%20Tube%20Datasheet%20Analog%20Metric%20Limited.pdf

My problem is they claim the EL34b is a tetrode and the 6CA7 (EL34a) is a pentode as it should be. But if you compare electrical characteristics and also the graphs in their datasheets they are identical. They even show a third grid for the EL34b connected to pin 1. The graph also says g3=0 for the EL34b.

Most likely the EL34b is a tetrode but for some reason the datasheets got mixed up with the wrong data.