Vpi Classic 2... feeler.

Schu

Is there any interest on this forum for VPI classic 2 in walnut?

Pricing would probably be in the $2500 range.

Just a feeler thread to check viability and make some other possible purchases.

Excellent condition unit with full adjustability on the fly. VTA and VTF with upgraded HRX clamp and soundsmith counter intuitive. Original packaging

Also available is a custom plexi cover and soundsmith adia cartridge that could be had for an additional fee.

Plenty of pictures to come if there is interest

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

Is the motor completely isolated like the scout? 

I have a Classic 1 like this where the motor is not completely isolated...However, I have yet to ever hear motor noise.  Harry W. did an amazing design with this when he incorporated the motor within the plinth.  It's really amazing how well it is isolated.  To my ears it sounds just as quiet as the isolated motor positions in the units such as the Scout.  I looked at both designs closely at my local VPI dealer before ultimately purchasing the Classic 1.  I could not hear a difference in the isolation, and ultimately preferred the unit in one piece vs. two.  I would love to have the option for VTA "on the fly" like is provided in this Classic 2 model, but can't justify the difference it will cost me at the moment.  Maybe down the road though.

This is an integrated design... you'll never hear any noise or flutter. The unit weights probably 50 pounds+ and the platter alone weighs in at something like 35 pounds. Even with a 1500$ soundsmith Adia cartridge, my system is extremely black. Motor isolation is gimmicky... it works, but at this level isnt necessary.

this unit had an msrp of nearly $4000 and is still HIGHLY coveted.

Edited by Schu

Thanks.  I still think I would feel better springing for the scout version.  I think I may as well go for something completely different which the scout represents. 

Just my opinion and my ears, but I listened to both tables at my local dealer before purchasing, and I preferred the overall sound of the Classic 1 to the Scout.  Had more "heft" to my ears, if that makes sense. And there was no more noise associated with the integrated design. Of course, to each his own.  Both are great tables.  However, I prefer the Classic. Wish you the best in your purchase.  :)

Thanks.  I still think I would feel better springing for the scout version.  I think I may as well go for something completely different which the scout represents. 

A view that would tempt me, too.  Turntables can have very different sound qualities (like the Basis models I and Garymd have, vs. other brands), in, say, fullness, or Breakdown 7's "heft," that go beyond only the apparent absence of motor noise.

There may be one or more differences between the VPI models that would appeal to you.  Or, maybe it's just VPI's attempt to keep sales pumped up by bringing out new models.  That's a frequent motivation, it seems to me.

Do a listening comparison if you can

Edited by LarryC

I have spun a scout already.  Now to find a classic somewhere...The price difference will probably be a huge factor if I take the plunge...

See if you can find and listen to a Basis.  Very pricey new, unfortunately, so used may be more comfortable for you $-wise.  Get a 2001 or higher; the 1400 was very good and worth listening to, but the suspended 2001 is fuller and purer in sound.

Get the clamp if you can find one!  Now over $400 new (formerly $300).  All of that is why USNRET's combo was such a superior package.

The only vulnerability of the 2000 series is that some acrylic plinths can be a little scratched.  Be assured that if you can get it to Basis founder and owner A.J. Conti in New Hampshire, he'll do a fabulous job of polishing it up and making sure it's in outstanding condition.  Graymd can attest to that!  Do you have a Basis dealer anywhere near you?

In fact, AJ might be able to chase down a used 2001 for you.  That's how Gary got his.  I've added his e-address to the post, below.

Larry

Here's AJ's e-mail:  basisaudio@aol.com

Edited by LarryC

• 4 weeks later...