Cant hear enough dialog in movies...

jwadd21

I find that I cant hear dialog in movies very much at all, and I have all Klipsch RF-3II's up front, inluding the center. I get tons of sound from the sound effects, but voices are far too subtle. I turn the center volume up, but that gives me more effects out of the center and more dialog at the same time, which is pointless...Help?? is it the receiver?

What receiver do you have?

Is the volume turned down on the center or up on the Mains?

Maybe a cable problem? Same cables on all 3 front speakers? Is the center channel hooked up properly (+ to +, - to -)?

Need more info

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

You should be able to crank up the center level (I THINK) on thar receiver.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

jwadd21

This is NOT a smartass comment!

On the basis of your complaint I think there is a possibility that you have a hearing problem. I say this because movies tend to keep up a pretty steady stream of ambient sounds even when the characters are engaging in dialogue. If one has a hearing problem there may be a masking effect. The average level of ambient sound in a motion picture,television program or music video may well be greater than you would typically experience when engaging in conversation. It is frequently the case that individuals who are otherwise satisfied with their ability to hear are prescribed hearing aids because they have difficulty understanding live speech and/or recorded dialogue.

In addition,remember that watching a movie or a stageplay involves a different set of listening skills than we ordinarily use in normal conversation,( akin to eavesdropping). A trip to an audiologist might be indicated.

I went to an audiologist expecting to be told that an aid for my left ear might be of value. I found out that I was bloody near deaf in my left ear and that I also needed an aid for my right ear. The audiologist's findings were shortly thereafter confirmed by an otolaryngologist.

The interesting part is that in spite of the hearing loss I was and am entirely capable of recognising the distinctions between stereo systems with or without my aids and can aurally smell sonic Bose -Err Umm crap from a mile away.

Just a thought to consider....

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

J, Have you calibrated the levels with a sound pressure level meter?

Does it do this with all movies? I have an RX-V3000 and dialogue is crystal clear through the Academy..although there were a couple movies I have rented in the past that were mixed very poorly making the dialogue a bit more difficult to hear, but still not really a problem.

Are you sure the receiver is playing in DD or DTS with your DVD's and not Dolby pro logic? I know..so many questions!

Let us know.

Later

Mike

This message has been edited by Mikekid on 08-21-2002 at 10:51 PM

How's your eyesight? Maybe you need glasses?

Sorry, just being stupid. I'm tired.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

assume you have a sub too? sounds like the bass is overwhelming. all speaks should be set small w/ a sub.

yes even the rf-3. Wink.gif regardless, the center should be set small so the drowning bass is sent elsewhere.

like mikek says too, get a sound meter & calibrate the speaker levels. if anything turn up the center level in the yammy to your liking.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Since they are RF-3's do you have the conection strap on or are you Bi-wired? You may have a bad conection there or a loose strap so you are not sending a full signal to the speaker's upper end and/or lower end thereby losing part of the dialogue. Just a thought!

------------------

Klipsch RF-3II

Klipsch RC-3II

Jamo in wall surrounds

Paradigm PW-2200 sub

Sony Playstation II

Yamaha RX-V630

Rotel RMB-1066

Yamaha DVD carosel

RCA Hi-Fi VCR (hardly used anymore)

Sony Trinitron 36"

jwadd21-

Just a couple of questions....

How do you have your center speaker orientated? Is it in a entertainment rack or sitting on the TV?

What movies do you notice the problem? I have found that some dvds are very poorly mixed and the center channel is very very difficult to hear.

Try switching the cable from one of the fronts to the center to verify that its not a cable problem.

Just a few ideas....

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater

Just a thought...

How do you have your tone controls set?? I've noticed that having the bass & treble set up high can significantly mask the midrange (vocal) frequencies. If you have an adequate sub, I've found that the best sound is obtained by seting the tone controls to 0. This levels the frequency field. See if this helps.

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

Something in the set-up is not quite spot on here. In the past when I used the RF-3 Series for HT, the dialogue was very clear, and my seating area was 26' from the fronts.

I did not hear a direct yes to Mikekid's question;"Have you calibrated the levels with a sound pressure level meter?" The reply stated "Everything is set up perfectly, and my ears are perfect."

Do know that it is highly unlikely any of us can properly calibrate HT levels by ear. If he has an SPL Meter, he should take some reading, note them and recalibrate the system again.

If the DVD player has a set-up menu, check the settings there as well. Don't know if you are using a sub or what kind, but boa made a good suggestion for setting speakers too small, especially the center. Excessive bass in the center will cloud or fog the clarity of the dialogue.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-22-2002 at 06:14 PM

jwadd21,

Inaddition to the SPL Meter, you should buy a DVD Set Up Disc. The set up disc has actual DD and DTS test tones and signals to aid you in proper caplibration of each channel as well as the subwoofers output level. Examples of such disc are Avia Guide to Home Theater, Video Essentials, and the Ultimate DVD (Platinum Edition).

The link below will take you to an article on Home Theater Sounds web site titled, "Audio Calibration of Your Home-Theater System". You should find it benefical to getting you on your way to an award winning HT experience. You can find other interesting and informative articles there also.

http://www.hometheatersound.com/features/cinemacynergy/cc_20010201.htm

You'll enjoy the set up process. That is, if Clu lets you out of that dungeonBiggrin.gif

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-24-2002 at 03:59 PM

Hey Wes!cwm20.gif BBB was the one I sent to into the dark to deal with the "Disreputable and Despicable Less". BTW (Blackie and Stripe have adopted the pink/tatooed/dog). Good thing I never had the opportunity to name children... Cats - Blackie, Stripe - Kids - Freckle, Mole, and we must not forget ZIT. Ahh...prompted.

But Wad, Honestley, I think It's the Dual Fridges... The cold waves (caused by the low volume compression waves, as opposed to the normal flow of smooth sinusoidal curve, are now transformed into the "ever dreaded Witch of Agnesi") and are interfering with the mid range of the center speaker. Hey and have you checked the wires? What about the Jumpers? And what of.....

Just an addendum here... Check the Flompies also.

This message has been edited by cluless on 08-24-2002 at 08:26 PM

You can narrow down the problem by switching the center speaker with one of the mains to see if there is a difference. If you get the same effect,it could be a setting or wiring. If it sounds right after switching, then the tweeter is bad. I had a friend that had same problem with another brand. Dialog was very faint, and the other effects and bass were alright. Dicovered the tweeter was shot.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

Mains: KLF 30

Rears: KG 5.5

Center: KLF-C7

Subs: (2) Antique wooden coffins with (3) 12" Advents in each

Receiver: HK AVR-80

DD Processor: HK ADP-303

DTS Processor: Rotel RDA 985

AudioControl Phase Coupled Activator Series Three