Pickering XV-15 vs Stanton 681EEE, are they the same?

Jim

I've read how Pickering and Stanton were owned by the same company. I also read how some of the stylus are interchanged. When I purchased my Dual 701,it came with a Pickering XV-15 cartridge on it, and I purchased a Stanton 681EEE Cartridge and a JICO 680EEE Shibata stylus for the 701 not thinking about keeping the Pickering.

Since I've read about both companies and the interchanging of styli, does anyone have any information or experience with these 2 carts? I am awaiting delivery of the 1200 stylus for the Pickering and am curious about the 2 carts and similarities and differences.

Yes they are regarded as the same, with the exception that the 681EEE was "calibrated" the stylus of all the series are interchangeable. I own both and with the same stylus fitted both cartridges are indistinguishable from each other. It is a fine cartridge especially when paired with a worthy stylus.

Edited by oldenough

• 2 weeks later...

The Pickering XV 15/Stanton 680/Stanton 681 family accepts the same stylus options for each other. The 681 line is the Calibrated models like the EEE and A which have individual response curves included in the package. The 681 from 1967 to the end of vinyl was the recording industry and broadcasting reference standard cartridge in the USA. 

• Like 1

I've been going back and forth with the two and it seems to my ears the Stanton is slightly richer in sound than the Pickering. Both have the top of the line JICO stylus for those models with the Stanton having the shibata stylus. I may see if I can get an original stylus for each, but have been told by many that the JICO outperforms the originals. I spoke to another person who says he gets the originals and then sends them overseas to get a line tip done on them and they sound great.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

I am using a Pickering XSP 3003 which is a P-mount and it has been and still is a great cartridge. My standard player used a Shure V15 type 1V and the sound is comparable.

On two of the tables I had that had P-Mount, they sounded pretty good. One was the Stanton, and one was an AT, the AT wasn't as good though.