Klipsch and SVS in the house

Joe DiClemente

Out with the BOSE Acoustimass 10 in with RF-7s,RC-7,RS-7s, and SVS CS-Ultra with 1000 watt sampson amp. Should sound a little better. Should be here sometime next week. Wanted to know what I should set my speakers to Large or small and what I should set the sub crossover to. Also should I invest in a sound level meter if so what should I be setting the DB at for each of the speakers.

Thanks

Joecwm3.gifcwm3.gifcwm3.gif

Great choice! You're gonna love that setup. I would definitely get the SPL meter, I need to get one myself. I'm not sure with the RF-7's as far as large or small setting, probably small, everyone seems to agree on that, that bad boy SVS will more than handle all the bass you need.

Let us know how it sounds when you get it setup.

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

Wow!

I heard that same combo with a Denon 5803, except with a RSW15 instead of the SVS subs. It was a awesome system, but the local dealer here essentially charges list so the speakers alone were about $5,000!

What AV receiver are you running them with?

Congrats,

Greg

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1987 Khorns Mains

1976 LaScala's Rears

KV-1 Center

KSW-12 Sub

Two-Channel

Fisher 800C Receiver

1987 Khorns

Teac CDP

Pioneer TT

This message has been edited by Gregorius on 08-22-2002 at 04:12 PM

Joe said:

Out with the BOSE Acoustimass 10 in with RF-7s,RC-7,RS-7s, and SVS CS-Ultra with 1000 watt sampson amp.

Wow, talk about going from the ridiculous to the sublime Smile.gif. Yes, those 7's w/ SVS will sound a couple of orders of magnitude better than the Bose (you'll actually get highs and lows with that mid-range now Smile.gif ). I am also curious, what amp/reciever are you using with this? As to large/small, try them both and see what sounds better to you.

In my particular instance, I am using a REL STorm III subwoofer which has high-level inputs, that is, it takes it signal from the main speaker terminals (the amp does not drive it/however - it has its own amp, thus it does not present a load to my main amp). As a result, I set my mains to Large and then dial the REL in underneath the RF-7s. This results in a very seamless bass transistion to the point where I had people thought the RF-7s was producing the bass, not the REL (and they wonder what that coffee table is doing behind the speaker Smile.gif ).

However, this will be different with the SVS and all I can say is experiment and see what you like better. You are not going to break anything by experimenting with the settings (unless you get ridiculous with them such as cranking the amp up to full volume with the tone controls cranked up also).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

And, thus, spake skonopa... "As a result, I set my mains to Large and then dial the REL in underneath the RF-7s. This results in a very seamless bass transistion to the point where I had people thought the RF-7s was producing the bass, not the REL... However, this will be different with the SVS..."

Actually, Steve, if you can take it from someone who has owned both Rel and SVS... the SVS are every bit as seamless, every bit as musical, and the ability to reach beyond the SPL's than a Rel III can muster by itself... and for less money to boot.

I am not trying to bash Rel... (I sure liked mine for years!) but you need to go up their line a bit and spend a lot more money before you find serious competition for the SVS Ultras powered by a 1,000 watt pro-style amp. Even a Velo HGS-18, for which I have great respect, cannot match the performance (let alone the price) of a pair of Ultras.

So, Joe DiClemente, get that Radio Shack analog SPL meter and follow the instructions on a good Set-Up disk (Avia, etc.). Having bought a pair of the first run of Ultras, rest assured you will not be dissappointed! Set up correctly with corner reinforcement, a pair of Ultras driven by a Samson (No "p" in this strong boy) can give you Dolby Digital Reference Level for professional theaters (20Hz at 121.5 dB)... and that means your system can play properly any note recorded on a Dobly DVD.

We all look forward to your comments on your new Bose replacements. cwm35.gif -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg

This message has been edited by HornEd on 08-22-2002 at 06:09 PM

Hello

Thanks for all the great info. I have a 3 year old sony receiver should be ok for now but looking to upgrade within the year. Speakers and sub set me back a little. Anyone interested in klipsch speakers check out soundcity (soundcity.com) thats where I bought mine. Best price I found from an authorized dealer.Any where local wanted 1000.00 more. Any way Ill let you all know how it sounds when I get set up.. I have a set up disk called video essentials is it a good set up disk.?? Bought it a couple a years ago and never used it. Thanks again

Joecwm44.gifcwm44.gifcwm44.gif

HornED said:

Actually, Steve, if you can take it from someone who has owned both Rel and SVS... the SVS are every bit as seamless, every bit as musical, and the ability to reach beyond the SPL's than a Rel III can muster by itself... and for less money to boot.

I think you mis-understood my post. I was not saying that SVS is not seamless or musical, just that to set them up may be different, i.e., hook up SVS's amp to the LFE (.1) output on your pre/pro or reciever, adjust the SVS amp to bring them in under your speakers. In my particular room and setup, my REL delivers plenty enough bass for my needs. However, if I could do it again, I most likely would have gone with the SVS Ultras (and may still do, but keep the REL to go with a future pair of LaScalas or Khorns for a future two-channel system - but that is not for a long time - primarily that I am about to sink some serious money into house upgrades, such as building a garage, paving the driveway, new roof/windows, new siding and so forth).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Skonopa, How does that work if you run speaker level inputs to your real sub from your receiver. It seems to me that if you or watching a movie in dolby digital, it would not send the dedicated movie bass to the sub since you are not useing the sub out on the reciever. I could see how listining to music it would work thow.

Joe,

Like JM mentioned earlier, I have set my speakers to small, and let the the SVS take the brunt of the load.

I haven't had my RF-7's hooked up for a while now, but you may want to set them to large, since they can handle, and need, alot more power than the Las.Which I am running,...again.(Just can't let them go).

You really have to experiment to see what you like for yourself.

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

DUAL USAGE ROOM

Fronts & Mains: Klipsch La Scalas Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD-3805

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Dual SVS Ultras w/ Samson 1000 watt amp

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

arfz28 asked:

Skonopa, How does that work if you run speaker level inputs to your real sub from your receiver. It seems to me that if you or watching a movie in dolby digital, it would not send the dedicated movie bass to the sub since you are not useing the sub out on the reciever. I could see how listining to music it would work thow.

I just set my main speakers to large, thus the full range is being delivered to the speaker output. The REL has its own crossover, (which can be set as low as 22hz), and produces the bass below where the crossover is set. The REL does have an input for the .1 LFE, which I do have hooked up and can be switched between the two inputs. I have to try them both and see how they work. I know the speaker level (balanced high-level) input sounds awesome for music. I'll have to try switching it to LFE (low-level input) for movies and see how it sounds.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

quote:

Out with the BOSE Acoustimass 10 in with RF-7s,RC-7,RS-7s, and SVS CS-Ultra with 1000 watt sampson amp. Should sound a little better.

Should sound a little better? Ooooui ... that's an understatement!!! Like you, I had the Bose AM-10 for about six months. Probably one of the only high-dollar purchasing decisions I have truly regretted. Once you get those news puppies barking, especially the SVS, I can guarantee that you will have a guilty "keeping the neighbors up" grin from ear to ear. Going from Bose to Klipsch/SVS is like going from Little League to the Majors.

quote:

what I should set my speakers to Large or small and what I should set the sub crossover to

Initially set your speakers to small and sub to 80Hz. This is the safe route to take until you get familiar with your new system.

quote:

... should I invest in a sound level meter if so what should I be setting the DB at for each of the speakers?

IMO a sound level meter is a MUST! Get the analog (floating needle) sound meter from Radio Shack. They are pretty cheap ~$35. You have already dropped a significant amount of cash in purchasing your audio equipment, spending $35 more is a drop in the bucket considering that piece of equipment will optimize your system to peak performance. In regards to the decibel level, standard reference is 85 decibels, but for most home theaters that level is simply way too loud. Many folks typically set their standard at 75 or 70 decibels.

------------------

Ranger

"honesta mors turpi vita potior"

Mitsubishi WS65819

Denon AVR 4802

Denon DVD-1600

Denon DCM-370

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Klipsch RF3II (Mains)

Klipsch RC3II (Center)

Klipsch RS3II (Surround)

SVS 20-39 PCi (Sub)

ProntoPro TSU6000

My apologies, skonopa, I did indeed misinterpret your post... thanks for clarifying your intent. As you know, I have great respect for Krell and SVS... and for the big improvement Klispch has made with the RSW-15.

RangerSix thanks for your well stated and informative post. It is particularly important that people realize that the analog version of Radio Shack's SPL meter is far better than the digital version for the purpose of placing and tweaking speakers. It is quality like your post that makes this Forum a consistent all-around winner! -HornED

PS: Ranger, despite years of under-watering, somehow my old Latin translator has rusted beyond crisp interpretation of the phrase, "honesta mors turpi vita potior"... which seems to point toward "death before dishonor" which reminds me of the fate of an old tube amp that I handbuilt in my youth.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 08-23-2002 at 11:10 AM

HornEd,

Thank you for the kind words.

an honorable death is better than a disgraceful life - Tacitus

------------------

Ranger

Mitsubishi WS65819

Denon AVR 4802

Denon DVD-1600

Denon DCM-370

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Klipsch RF3II (Mains)

Klipsch RC3II (Center)

Klipsch RS3II (Surround)

SVS 20-39 PCi (Sub)

ProntoPro TSU6000

RANGERSIX,

thanks for the info. I was going to buy the digital SPL meter thinking it would be better. You saved me 20.00 thanks. Also I have a optimizing your audio/video system disk by video essentials. Is that a good set up disk. Never used it yet.

Thanks again to everyone. Great Forum

My SVS and AMP arrived today just waiting for my KLIPSCH speakers

Joe

Joe,

I have Video Essentials, but rarely used it. I prefer the Avia disk better (I like the chapter design - makes for easier navigation and video test patterns). However, VE is more than adequate for calibrating your audio system. In fact, I've read in many home theater forums of people prefering the VE disk over Avia for audio. I think it may have something to do with the audio tones (pink noise) being at different reference levels (85 vs 75 decibles). Right now I am not sure. I'll have to pop in the disks to verify.

------------------

Ranger

Mitsubishi WS65819

Denon AVR 4802

Denon DVD-1600

Denon DCM-370

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Klipsch RF3II (Mains)

Klipsch RC3II (Center)

Klipsch RS3II (Surround)

SVS 20-39 PCi (Sub)