Songs like White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane:

kenratboy

Let's here them. All the trippy stuff like that was before my time. So any recommendations?

Thanks!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Mind expansion, you say?? Here's a few mind blowers to get your brain coming and going:

Jefferson Airplane: 2400 Fulton St. compilation - I don't normally recommend compilations/greatest hits collections, but listen to the second half of the first disc, the section labeled "Psychedelia". It will leave you looking for a new brain.

Grateful Dead: any live "Dark Star" from the early seventies. Lots of live GD CDs circulate. Look for the Dick's Picks series for some choice morsels. The second half of the studio release "Blues for Allah" is pretty good too, as well as "Live Dead".

Pink Floyd: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Interstellar Overdrive and Astronomy Domine are especially good. Second Floyd choice: Meddle (One of These Days and Echoes are mandatory in any Psychedelic music collection).

The Dukes of Stratosphear: Chips from the Chocolate Fireball - This is the British pop act XTC, trying their skills at mind expansion. I like to think of this as Sgt Pepper's era Beatles on acid (does this now mean the Beatles on acid on acid?) Might be hard to find but worth it - check out used CD stores. Bike ride to the moon, anyone?

And, who could forget "Woodstock"? Sure, it's cliche, but it's a must for anyone who appreciates the era. I've got the 3 hour 45 minute "director's cut" on DVD. Check it out, but remember - don't eat the brown acid.

Let's see:

1) The Pusher by Steppenwolf. The music maybe mind expanding but the words are in your FACE!

2) Inna-godda-divida (sp?) by Iron Butterfly

3) Third Stone from the Sun by Jimi Hendrix. OOPS, most anything by Sir Jimi!

4) Fresh Garbage by Spirit. The whole self-titled album is good.

Gotta go...I think I'm having a flashback!!

Yeah, first, I will be like :biggrin , then I will be all Eek.gif , then after some time, I will be :tips , then, when it's all over, I will be all Frown.gif

Thanks!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

This message has been edited by kenratboy on 08-23-2002 at 12:09 PM

1. Strawberry Fields--The BeaTles

2. Tales Of Brave Ullysees--Cream

3. Eight Miles High--The Byrds

4. Inscense And Peppermints--Straawberry Alarm Clock

5. Hot Smoke And Sasafrass--Bubble Puppy

6. She Comes In Colours---The Rolling Stones

7.Don't Bogart Me--Fraternaty Of Man

White Rabbit is pretty much the anthem of the genre. But all of Surrealistic Pillow is good.

Let me suggest, The Court of the Crimson King, by King Crimson.

Tommy by the Who is not quite the theme album it could have been. Many of the songs seem unconnected. None the less, the plight of the deaf dumb and blind boy (as far as the thread goes) is touching in spots. See me, feel me, touch me, heal me.

Sparks, on the album, is the trip.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-26-2002 at 09:14 PM

Well, while we're talking of the good old days.

At about that time, the 2001 movie was adopted by some as a trip movie. There is a sequence near the end with some very odd music and visuals of what some would call a trip.

That part of the movie was a journey through what is today called a multidimensional worm hole.

The music, there, was George Legeti's Requium, sung in Latin, though you wouldn't think it at first. This is available on a DG recording and I recommend it. You need more wierd music.

There is some symetry to the music to the movie. The trip through the wormhole is the beginning of the death of the astronaut; he will reach the next level of human evolution. Of course the Zarthustra theme, the dawn of man, makes sense if you read the related novels.

The cryptic movie is a very, very limited illustration of the book by A.C. Clarke, which I recommend highly. Let me add that if you want to appreciate the 2001 novel, you should first read Childhood's End by A.C. Clarke. It is a first stab at some of the themes.

Gil

Thanks BBB. I cranked The Court last weekend. They should include anti-psychotic drugs with the CD so people can recover from listening.

Mr. Fripp must have been a very disturbed dude. On the other hand, it is remarkable that such thoughts were artistically translated into music, and good music at that.

I may go shopping for more KC. Lark's Tongue in Aspic gets good reviews. The title may tell the story.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-26-2002 at 09:50 PM

King Crimson? Now that's 400 level material at Psychedelic U! I find most KC quite interesting - I guess that means I'm warped! I'm not always in the right frame of mind for KC, but it's great stuff for those willing to listen. Try "Red", "Lark's Tongues in Aspic", and "Discipline". Also, get the "Deja Vroooom" DVD - great 5.1 sound plus lots of extra features, such as multiple veiwing angles and so forth. King Crimson's lineup has changed continously since it's existence (only constant member was Fripp), so try different eras for all of the flavors of KC.

Yes is another group that fits the "constantly changing lineup" description. Especially recommended are such older "unsung" releases as "Close to the Edge", "Relayer", "Drama" and "Tales From Topographic Oceans". The better known classic releases "The Yes Album" and "Fragile" are worth exploring, too. I'm not sure how "Psychedelic" they are (they are very classically schooled), but Yes material often shows up in many collections owned by those who like psychedelic music as much as I do. Same holds true for Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

I like frequently changing time signatures, can't you tell?

BTW, my not mentioning Hendrix specifically in my prior post is criminal. Hendrix = Psychedelia.

This is some old news but if you ain't heard it then it's new. The worm hole sequence that William F. talks about is excatlly the same length as Pink Floyd's "Echoes". If you start Echoes at the title "Jupiter And Beyond" You will find that not only is it the same length but it is in time with the movie. There is some guy in England that has done this research for movies and music. It wasa posted on the web several years ago. "Dark Side Of The Moon" side1 is in sync with the black and white portion of "Wizard Of Oz". Start "DSOTM" when the MGM lion roars thesecond time and BEHOLD the Magic. Members of Oink Floyd deny any connection but it really makes you wonder.

Some helpful hints to know if you are in sync,When the line come around

"balanced on the biggest wave...." Dorothy is waking on the top fence rail of the pig sty.

"No one told you when to run....."Toto Excapes the basket on the bicycle. The Tornado scene is "The Great Gig In The Sky".Cue up CD and pause,then release on lion roar.

Echo Beach: Martha and the Muffins.

Moondance: Van Morrison

in fact everything Van Morrison.

Carolos Santana, Black Magic Woman

forget it, I could go on for days...

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

DUAL USAGE ROOM

Fronts & Mains: Klipsch La Scalas

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD-3805

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Dual SVS Ultras w/ Samson 1000 watt amp

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

That should be Carlos Santana, God my typing sucks.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

DUAL USAGE ROOM

Fronts & Mains: Klipsch La Scalas

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD-3805

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Dual SVS Ultras w/ Samson 1000 watt amp

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

2 VERY VERY good psyche,proto-punk/garage-rock box sets to look for or both of the Nuggets box sets. Nuggets II is fantastic as well as the first. All stuff along the lines of The Electric Prunes-I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night. Mid 60's to early 70's.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

This message has been edited by synthfreek on 08-31-2002 at 01:53 AM

Lone Palm - I've done the Dark Side/Wizard of Oz played back in sync, and it's quite interesting. This will have you thinking that there's more to this than meets the eye, or should I say, mind. Never tried the "Echoes/2001" yet - I'll have to try this.

"I'm like so shocked at you guys for not including Emerson, Lake & Palmer's 'Pictures at an Exhibition' or 'Brain Salad Surgery'"

....I covered those guys, albeit in an oblique waySmile.gif I've got both of these in my collection.

NOZ - If you are looking for good Santana, get "Lotus". My personal favorite!

W.F.M: My Who vote goes to "Quadrophenia", hands down. One of my "desert island" discs.

Another forgotten act on the list: The Allman Brothers Band. Try "Live at Fillmore East". Nuff said.

Forgotten act #2: The Doors. "There are things known and things unknown, and in between are the Doors."

Now that you've all mastered the old stuff, how about some of the new guard?? All of the below are touring, or will be soon! (Hint, Hint)

String Cheese Incident: My personal favorite of the new generation of bands pigeonholed into the "jamband" genre. Psychedelia, groove, calypso, and bluegrass all rolled into one, from the happy side of the highway! Lots of songs with MEANING. Given the state of the times, they are excellent medicine. On tour out West this fall.

Phish: They're Baaaaaaaaaaaack! The much hyped jam kings will always be a force in my collection given the live library that currently exists, and they are reuniting for 2003. Four east coast shows for the Holidaze, new CD and tour later in the year. The dance band of the Nineties, updated for the '00's. There's great new releases of the Live Phish series (soundboard recordings of concert archives). Check 'em out live, if you can get ticketsSmile.gif You'll never think of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" in quite the same way again (think Peter Sellers flick, "Being There").

Also worth mentioning: Widespread Panic, Umphrey's McGee, Sound Tribe Sector 9, and moe.