Dual boot between windows 10 and linux mint

The Dude

I have a hard drive with movies and music on it running Linux mint.  Is it possible to slap the hard drive in my Windows machine, pull the data off it, and reformat ii?  I would like to reformat it for my freenas server that I am building. 

It may be easier to stick it in the freenas server and reformat it through that and start over on ripping my movies and music.

Thanks

If you don't have a machine to run Linux on, easiest thing would be to download Mint and burn the image to a CD.  Then, boot Mint from the CD and copy the files over to a Windows drive.  I keep a bootable Mint around for when a Win machine gets sick and I need to copy files the other way to save them.  Not much anymore, though, since I finally absolutely forbade anyone in the house to save files to a system drive. 

Dave

• Like 2

Yup, I am going to try one more thing. If that doesn't work I am going to cut my loses and move on.  It just sucks as I just purchased this drive last year (used, so I didn't spend a hole lot).  But needless to say, it doesn't seem as hard drives like being shut down for long perooids of time then turned back on.  This is the second hard drive this happened to this year, the other was an external hard drive. 

Thanks for your help.

Yup, I am going to try one more thing. If that doesn't work I am going to cut my loses and move on.  It just sucks as I just purchased this drive last year (used, so I didn't spend a hole lot).  But needless to say, it doesn't seem as hard drives like being shut down for long perooids of time then turned back on.  This is the second hard drive this happened to this year, the other was an external hard drive. 

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried using this

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/30504/33in-usb-2.0-to-ide-or-serial-ata-drive-adapter-cable

I went through a few of the Q/A on this product and found this see the last answer

Q: Is this compatible with Ubuntu?

Asked on 10/9/2013 by Anonymous

Know the answer? Answer this question

2 answers

CUSTOMER CARE

A: Unfortunately, we do not support Ubuntu for this product.

Answered on 10/29/2013 by Steve from C2G

A: Even if it isn't "supported" on Linux, I have used this adapter just fine from both Ubuntu Linux and Debian Linux.

Answered on 5/17/2015 by Tim from Boston, MA

• Like 1

Steve are you a Linux, Ubuntu kind of guy? I have Linux mint on my laptop, if my wife didn't need Windows for for I would have it on my desk top.  I am going to try Freenas for my server, I love the fact that I have the OS on a 8 gb thumb drive plugged into the motherboard.  One thing I don't like about Freenas is the need to have alot of ECC ram.  I have 8 gb, but sound like I may need more.

• Like 1

Windows won't usually recognize linix partitions. Are you trying to mount the Mint drive on a Winows ?achine?

Not really, i just wanted to see if i could access my hard drive. So i basically just used my board, powe supply and disc drive to boot Linux and tried to access it. But the hard drive never showed up.

I am installing the hard drive now into the server to see if it will reformat. I amy be out of music and movies, but at least i have the hard drive. I will just need to rerip my music.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Steve are you a Linux, Ubuntu kind of guy? I have Linux mint on my laptop, if my wife didn't need Windows for for I would have it on my desk top.  I am going to try Freenas for my server, I love the fact that I have the OS on a 8 gb thumb drive plugged into the motherboard.  One thing I don't like about Freenas is the need to have alot of ECC ram.  I have 8 gb, but sound like I may need more.

duder, I've only dabbled with Linux and really don't know much about it. I've used it at home for a while and tried it at work "Ubuntu and FOG" for imaging computers.

That adapter I linked to in the above post has saved me countless times at work. I've had hard drives that would not boot and was able to retrieve data using this.

• Like 1