Last Tropical Christmas

Mallette

82 degrees, warmest in Seabrook since 1955.  We've been madly disposing of and donating things, and sticking the rest in boxes for about two weeks.  We broke about lunch yesterday to celebrate Christmas.  We had no tree or any decorations at all.  The PAW suggested we return to a tradition when I was a young man of just looking around outside and letting a suitable "tree" find you.  So, right out in the front yard, was a palm frond.  Seemed appropriate.  I figured away to get it to stand upright and the PAW went to work twisting newspaper we have for packing into ornaments.  Voila!  Best tree ever!  In any event, certainly a good way to end our life down here on Galveston Bay. 

We ate, and headed out to Christ Mass to celebrate our last Christmas down here and passed the candle light at midnight as the Light of the World was born. Then, we came home on dark, quiet, muggy tropical streets to bed. We got up opened the presents, then spent the next few hours thinking of our time here as our son came to young manhood, and our sainted daughter grew so rapidly in Christ he took her at the head of her class to his bosom.  Then, we went to the magnificent 1911 Hotel Galvez overlooking the Gulf of Mexico for their magnificent and sumptuous buffet.  It's back to the packing tomorrow. 

But, next we move to another venture and next Christmas will find us at 116 East Broad in Texarkana. Good chance we will walk from there to Christ Mass at St. James, the parish I was confirmed in, and then walk home through a wonderful, beautiful quiet night in downtown Texarkana, the town you can leave but not get away from.  It's been well over a half century since I got orders at my "home of record" at 205 E. 38th Street stamped "Permanent Change of Station."  I assumed it was.  But my hitch is finally done and we'll return to that same address for the next 8 or 9 months while we renovate our building. 

You CAN go home again.  Mom will be there.  She never really left.

Dave

post-7390-0-39880000-1451091675_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Very nicely done, Dave. We attended Christ's Mass at a different parish this year due to my wife having to work. Was beautiful, but I was amazed at the large number of people who exited the church before the priest.

Speaking of tropical, your 'tree' reminded me of this, from our recent trip:

post-5045-0-13560000-1451093848_thumb.jp

• Moderators

Sounds about just right for this change, I hope it is everything your family is hoping for and much more.

Watching hurricane warnings will mean a completely different thing from now on not being so close to the Gulf. And that's just a small part of this change, like Paul Harvey would have said, now for the rest of the story.