Center for Klipsch KG 4.2?

Lost240

If you can find a KV 3 that would be the better one, but a KV 2 might also work. I have a set of KG 4.2's and updated the crossovers and tweeters and they definitely shine. A KG 2.2 or KG 2.5 should also work if you have the room.

What other speakers are you using for surrounds?

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

From what I have read the kv-3 is probably your best option for voice matching and you can get them for $75 or so if you look around. Also, if your seating area is small you might want to think about turning the center channel "off" on your receiver and running a Phantom center. It sounds great and centered right on the screen when you are in the 'sweet spot' but if you have a lot of seating positions that are off axis from your TV then a center speaker is definitely a good option to anchor the dialog etc. Until you get a good solution I would definitely turn the current center off as a badly mismatched front soundstage is much worse than no center at all.

The KV-3 will be a very good piece. I'd also look at getting the KG 0.5's for surrounds as they can be used with speaker brackets on the walls and are small enough.

If you don't go the route I recommended on the feet, you can also try getting the rubber sticky noise reducers for the bottom of them.

Wow! Thank you for all the links. Would I just screw any of these into where there are holes already? It looks like a dowel or something could go in there

I would get the ones with the screws and just screw them in right next to the holes. I don't think the screws will fit the holes either. Just put them outside the original holes by about and inch, and if you ever find the originals, you can use them. The originals don't have screws either, they just push in and pull out.

If you cant get feet a good easy solution is to get a cheap yoga mat from Ross or other store and cut out a rectangle to fit the bottom of your speaker. It really makes them "Stick" to the floor and works really well. I did this with my surrounds on stands too.

• Like 1

Question/Answer:

1.  Wouldn't a KG center (timbre-matched, of the same model) be the best match for a KG 4.2?

2.  Specifically, would not a KG 2.2V (center channel, video shielded) be right?

3.  Would not a KG 2.2 also work (same specs as the 2.2V, but not video shielded)?

I do have the KG 2.2V and a matching pair of 2.2s, if you are interested.

Glad to respond to any questions/comment.

• Like 1

While the KV3 is a fine center, JiminSTL and Frzninvt hit the nail on the head...it was not built for the KG series. It was built for the Epic CF-2. The KG 2.2V is the center built to match your fronts.

Some may disagree but timbre matching makes a difference...one that you can and most likely will notice. The 2.2V will give you a seamless front stage...the KV-3 may get you 80-90% there...but it won't be seamless.

• Like 1

JiminSTL is right the KG 2.2V is the correct matching center.  The KV-3 is not, it would not sound bad but it is not timbre matched like the .2 series center.  It irks me when people recommend the wrong center for the application.

It irks me when a person can't read a full recommendation either.

A KG 2.2 or KG 2.5 should also work if you have the room.

How is this incorrect?

I love how people on here feel the need to add in things. Especially when they spew crap from the safety behind a keyboard.  You're irked because you didn't read the full post, so let me say how irked I am for someone's opinion. I didn't realize you were part of the "clique" that is making sure you weed out us members who can't recommend the proper application.

To the OP who posted the question, I am sorry for my comment on your post. I mean no disrespect to you for saying this,but at the same time, get used to posts from members who like to "troll".

There are many members on here who are truly helpful, some that aren't, some that try to be, and then some who think everyone's opinion that doesn't match theirs is wrong. I'm sure I will be crucified for not putting the V after KG2.2 also.

Edited by Jim

Actually, the 2.2 will work fine (same specs and size as the 2.2V), too, though it is not video-shielded.  But most HT setups no longer have the old CRTs that require that protection, and they do not often have competing electronics in such close proximity as to be a problem.

Edited by JiminSTL
  • Like 1