Pioneer Elite SC-85 anyone here run one?

ClintonH

Just looking into "maybe" upgrading my AVR. Currently running a Denon AVR 2308ic and I'm hwppy with it, just old and lacks some of the newer features.

The SC-85 stood out as a pretty nice feature set/power for the price, far better than the Denon equal.

Is Atmos worth the upgrade? That's one of the key features I was looking at on this.

Also how does it's room calibration work in comparisson to Audyssey?

And most importantly how does it sound with Klipsch speakers? Currently running RF-35  7.1 setup but will be upgrading to 3 RC-7's  across the front within the next 2 months.

Thanks for any input

That link is for the US Best buy, seem to be out.

I was more looking for personal experience rather than were to get one. Only place I can buy one is here since shipping a duty would actually make it more expensive than shipping it in. I'm in Canada

Thanks for the reply though.

Edited by ClintonH

There are a couple of guys with that model that should chime in.  Personally, I prefer MCACC over Auddysee.  The SC 85 has sub EQ which my SC 35 does not which is a real plus.  The Elite amps are clean with plenty of punch.  No better way to say, they just get the whole system to mesh together and sound great.

• Like 2

There are a couple of guys with that model that should chime in.  Personally, I prefer MCACC over Auddysee.  The SC 85 has sub EQ which my SC 35 does not which is a real plus.  The Elite amps are clean with plenty of punch.  No better way to say, they just get the whole system to mesh together and sound great.

Nice. :) Thanks that's good to hear. I have the NU6000DSP and NU3000DSP (like you I see) for my 3 JLW7 subs so that really isn't a deal breaker, does the SC 35 have ATMOS? Or is that even worth the upgrade to?

The SC 35 is from 2010-2011, so no Atmos.  Is it worth it, it all depends on you, the room layout and other gear.  Just this week, I started to get an SC 85 but, I will wait a little longer on Atmos.  I really need to demo an Atmos system to get a better feel for the upgrade.  Ignorance is bliss for right now. :huh:  I would have to do ceiling speakers since I don't have a reflective ceiling.

Edited by derrickdj1

I'll also throw in regarding Atmos (to include the recent "Dolby Surround")  that I would agree with Mike (Dr. Who) in that even if you don't run a full Atmos speaker array (or ever intend to), that having a unit that can actually process the new format is certainly a plus. The five-channel down mixes I've heard over my system where very good.

Sound-wise, it's all up to you. Out of the box, probably not so much. A little tweaking though, and Da-yum!  :emotion-21: 

Edited by Quiet_Hollow
  • Like 1

The SC 35 is from 2010-2011, so no Atmos.  Is it worth it, it all depends on you, the room layout and other gear.  Just this week, I started to get an SC 85 but, I will wait a little longer on Atmos.  I really need to demo an Atmos system to get a better feel for the upgrade.  Ignorance is bliss for right now. :huh:  I would have to do ceiling speakers since I don't have a reflective ceiling.

I have a step down from that...SC-91. I use Atmos. Love the hell out of this receiver. Sabre DAC keeps all my vinyl and Flac clean as hell.

The 85 is great... even though I have zero need for atmos personally. The internal ess 9018 dac is about 80%+ the equal of my very expensive stand alone dac.

I'll also throw in regarding Atmos (to include the recent "Dolby Surround")  that I would agree with Mike (Dr. Who) in that even if you don't run a full Atmos speaker array (or ever intend to), that having a unit that can actually process the new format is certainly a plus. The five-channel down mixes I've heard over my system where very good.

Sound-wise, it's all up to you. Out of the box, probably not so much. A little tweaking though, and Da-yum!  :emotion-21: 

Thanks for all the feed back guys, sounds like it's the way to go then. It's fairly cheap as well so win win.

I may or may not jump on the Atmos setup, just like to future proof since it takes me awhile to upgrade.

Last one was 8 years ago, but I still think it's a great AVR just have that itch. lol

Sorry to bump this back up again but had 2 more questions before I pull the pin on this, I found one at a reasonable price but I have to double ship since US shipping only. :/

For those that have one of these units, I fully intend to go Atmos if I buy so want to be sure.

Does it do Dolby surround upmix ? It's not listed in any of the specs, I see it on the SC-91 but not listed for SC-85

The amp is listed as 9.2 and 5.2.4 for Atmos, I can clearly see in there wiring diagram on page 28 of the manual that it has 11 speakers 6 of which are Atmos. Am I not looking at this correct or? Just trying to figure out how many ceiling speakers I'm going to need.

Thanks again for the help guys.

P_E_85_zpsvyhyxcrc.jpg

Atmos is in its infancy. Don't fuss over it. Buy the amp as there's so much more to it than just that....it's a bargain now.

Hack out the speaker details after the fact. You don't want to be stuck with an integrated setup.

FWIW - Atmos, at its core, has no theoretical limit to the number of channels. It's the perfect sales pitch for those in the speaker business.

Atmos is in its infancy. Don't fuss over it. Buy the amp as there's so much more to it than just that....it's a bargain now.

Hack out the speaker details after the fact. You don't want to be stuck with an integrated setup.

FWIW - Atmos, at its core, has no theoretical limit to the number of channels. It's the perfect sales pitch for those in the speaker business.

Got the first part. Second 2 parts not sure exactly what you mean?

Second 2 parts not sure exactly what you mean?
I was referring to this:
Just trying to figure out how many ceiling speakers I'm going to need.
Which would be 1-4 units depending on SPL and coverage requirements in regards to the SC-85, but that both Dolby and DTS will eventually be encouraging us to paste the entire ceiling and walls with speakers...when in reality the greatest effort involved is getting the 5.1 setup well.

Second 2 parts not sure exactly what you mean?
I was referring to this:

Just trying to figure out how many ceiling speakers I'm going to need.
Which would be 1-4 units depending on SPL and coverage requirements in regards to the SC-85, but that both Dolby and DTS will eventually be encouraging us to paste the entire ceiling and walls with speakers...when in reality the greatest effort involved is getting the 5.1 setup well.

I get they would like to have a ton of speakers looking at some of the theater designs. lol

But what I would like to know is how many will the SC-85 actually utilize? 4 or 6 Atmos as well as the 5.2?

I already have a great sounding 7.1 setup just wanted to upgrade to the next step up which seems to be Atmos by what I have been reading. Is it all hype then or is it a upgrade?

But what I would like to know is how many will the SC-85 actually utilize? 4 or 6 Atmos as well as the 5.2?
Someone else using the feature is going to have to chime in as I don't run ceiling speakers, or even 7 channels because....
Is it all hype then or is it a upgrade?
...I've been to Atmos-equipped cinemas where they have spent more money on the ceiling array install than I'd ever put into a house, only to leave wondering what all the buzz was about.

What's more important is the codec, and at this point in time Dolby and DTS are really splitting hairs.

Lately, I'd be much more concerned about who's being assigned foley and sound design.

So just wanted to update this with the outcome.

I didn't get the pioneer since it only had a 1 year warranty which would have been only valid in the US, no help to me.

I went with a Denon X4100W instead, has a few things the Pioneer didn't that I like plus it's a Denon and I really like my current one. The Audyssey XT32 Platinum looks promissing since it will do 2 subs and I can upgrade to the pro if I really think I need it. Auro 3D upgrade also looks very cool plus all the steaming options etc that I found the SC-85 doesn't have might be nice.

Should have it in a few weeks along with a few Atmos speakers to bounce sound off the ceiling. :)