Help with SS amp

JCturboT

Well it seems like I went a little too far at my last summer party and my Yamaha M-85 amp paid the price.

It started to cut out during peak output as well as the protection light coming on so I took a look inside and it appears that my Power Supply capacitors are gone. They are both leaking.

A call to Yamaha confirmed what I alredy knew-they had been discontinued (I figured so since the amp was made in '87)

So I am on the hunt for new capacitors.The ones in there now read...Nichicon 1000uf 100v N8650.From what I've read Nichicon is the largest capacitor maker in the world.

My question to you all is this...can you recommend a good Cap to use or know where I can get some? Do capacitors really make that much difference in sound in a solid state amplifier? If anyone can recommend a good vendor I would appreciate it kindly.

Thanks,

Jeff

Ouch!!c>

And further if the O/P's are toasty the replacement caps could be in peril at power up,(I think but I am not an expert in this area).

Mdeneen??

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 08-23-2002 at 07:57 PM

Mdeneen,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one-I really hate to get part with this amplifier as I had it for over 15 years without a problem and Craig (NOS440) is doing up my Scott LK-48 tube amp for me right know so funds are kinda low.

What would I be gaining,if anything by going up to a 2000uf as opposed to sticking with a 1000uf?Would I be better going with a high temp (105C) as opposed to the Nichicon 85C?Why Sprague brand? just a better quality?

Is there a actual life span to a capacitor or if everthing is fine will they last indefinately?

Thanks,

Jeff

Mdeneen,

Thanks for the info! I will be bringing the amplifier in for professional repair. I just wanted to have the capacitors ready for him as I know these are in need of replacement.I even got a copy of the service manual for him so it should be a no-brainer.

I found a Sprague capacitor from newark.com (2200uf 100v)that matches mine size for size perfectly but its on back order for 51 days!! I tried allied.com but all I'm coming up with is the moving company. Any other vendors you can think of?

Jeff

Edit:I did find alliedelec.com. Smile.gif

This message has been edited by JCturboT on 08-24-2002 at 11:07 AM

I'll bet you $0.05 that if they are the main filter caps that they are 10,000µF 100V. I would get some Panasonic caps from DigiKey.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/us/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=72460&Row=214603

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/us/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=72460&Row=214605

Or get the paper copy of the catalog to check all the size/price data.

This message has been edited by djk on 08-27-2002 at 04:49 AM

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys-it looks like the audio Gods were looking down on me this time as I got back my Yamaha M-85 back yesterday and all is fine & well.I'm listening to it right now (at rather high volume levels) as the wife and daughter are out.

Mdeneen was correct- it wasn't just the capacitors-actually the caps were fine,one of the resistors had become unsoldered from the main board just a simple resoldering job and its sounds as good as new.It appears Yamaha uses some type of resin around the capacitors which I mistakenly thought was a leaking cap.

On another note-I know it had been discussed in a earlier post but I'm feeling rather lazy tonite...

I want to run some sort of cooling fan for my setup as it runs rather hot when in Class A-was there a web page or particular model recommended that was 110V as a direct plug in.I could plug it right in the back of the switched outlet on the back of my amp and run it whenever the amp is on.Let me know guys.

Thanks all,

Jeff

JC ,

I believe they sell them at Wallmart there 24" X 24" LOL !!!!! Smile.gifSmile.gif.

I finally recieved your new Cans today can't believe how long it took. I will be soldering on your unit over the next week. I'm pretty busy with work so its slowing me down a bit on the amps.

Oh and when you get the Scott back your never going to use the Yamaha again so you might just as well forget the fan Smile.gif

Craig

Craig,

I was just going to drop you a line on the Scott rebuild-looks like its a go to go full out on the rebuild we were discussing.

You'll have to do a primo job on the rebuild-I told Chris Robinson we'll get together once again when this is done and do a "Amplifier Showdown" a no-holds barred

test to find out who make the best vintage integrated iron-SCOTT or EICO so we'll settle this arguement once and for all. Smile.gif

Do it for the team Craig!

Jeff