HDMI Experts - Help: Using TV HDMI out for audio

tigerwoodKhorns

I want to me able to run all of my sources to a TV and then use an HDMI output to a receiver.  I know that certain HMDI's are labeled ARC or something like that for Audio return, but I cannot figure out how to use the TV's audio output to the receiver (other that coaxial or S/PDIF).

It is Mom's TV and she needs to be able to turn the TV on and pick a source and not have to turn the receiver on to use the TV. 

TV is a Sony XBR 65X850C

I have the same issue with a Samsung un65JS8500.  I'd like to run all of my sources into the TV and use it to do the switching, but I need audio out. 

Can anyone help? 

OK, if I go into the settings and enable ARC, will one HDMI cable be the input while the HDMI ARC cable will simultaneously run audio out through a separate HDMI cable? 

Example, a cable box is the HDMI input to the TV and the ARC HMDI is the audio output to the receiver. 

This seems like it should be an easy item, but you know how it goes. 

Thank you. 

Why wouldn't you run the Cable Box HDMI into the receiver and then run the output HDMI to the TV?

Mom's TV, she is almost 70.  She has several sources.  I want her to be able to turn the TV on and a single source without turning the stereo on. 

Need to get her a harmony remote next, she has like 6 remotes. 

I have a specific hdmi output on my tv that is for arc and a specific input on my receiver that is for arc. I still had to go into my settings and enable arc on my tv and receiver.

I seem to remember mine having the same.  Will follow this. 

Why wouldn't you run the Cable Box HDMI into the receiver and then run the output HDMI to the TV?

^^^

what he said....

everything goes to the receiver...then 1 HDMI out to the TV.  in my case, i have 1 hdmi from cable box to TV, then all my other gear runs through the processor, and 1 hdmi out to the tv.  this way i don't have to have my processor/amp/what ever on to watch normal cable TV. 

if you want Red Mere (or Active) cables, you can't use them to go through anything.  so in my specific case, only the hdmi from the cable to the tv can be a Red Mere (or Active)

in your processor settings, you will want to turn off "hdmi audio out" because the audio will not play through the processor, but output to the TV.  (at least some will, some won't.)

^^^

what he said....

everything goes to the receiver...then 1 HDMI out to the TV.  in my case, i have 1 hdmi from cable box to TV, then all my other gear runs through the processor, and 1 hdmi out to the tv.  this way i don't have to have my processor/amp/what ever on to watch normal cable TV. 

if you want Red Mere (or Active) cables, you can't use them to go through anything.  so in my specific case, only the hdmi from the cable to the tv can be a Red Mere (or Active)

in your processor settings, you will want to turn off "hdmi audio out" because the audio will not play through the processor, but output to the TV.  (at least some will, some won't.)

+1  and to be honest, the only HDMI's I use are on the T.V.  Sat box and Blu-ray direct to the T.V. and my receiver only has the audio running to it, optical or digital from the T.V. Sat box and Blu-ray, but that's me.  I have never understood why you would want signals running through more boards than are necessary to get the signal where it goes, but that's just me.

There are several reasons for me.  I love the ease of HDMI

The cable clutter is cut in half.  With using one cable instead of two.

I only had to run one cable "in wall" to my mounted TV.  Some people have 5(or more) different sources going to their avr.  I only have 3 so not bad.  Again though, one cable to the tv(in wall)  I have 4 cables total to run my entire simple system.

Using the receiver for video switching is convienent.  For me it cuts out several remotes remotes.

I could be wrong but optical only carries 5.1, I run 7.1 so I beleive I need hdmi to untilze this feature.

The first avr i bought that had HDMI, it was so simple to set up, I over over complicated it due to my old practices of so many cables I drove myself nuts.  When I figured it out, I said "that's it" lol

Everyones set up and requirements are alittle different, it's nice that several options are out there to achieve what each person wants/needs