Throw out those needles

Matthews

Whistle while ye may, because after your zeros and ones all disappear, you'll have to entertain yourself by whistling, whilst I spin a platter."

30 years ago a guy developed a cardboard record player for use in remote areas for education and such.  You just folded a scored section up into a combination horn and stylus, put the record on it, then hand turned the disc.  Ingenious.  Soundstage and bass probably weren't much, but in an apocalypse it would provide a little relief!

Dave

• Like 1

You know if they supplied a Soundforge click and scratch software streaming filter with that price some people might jump on it. What about the rumble, wow, pitch correction for off center holes, warps, high frequency noise, RIAA curves, optical error rates?

JJK

Bunkem

You want a mess go digital.  to quote myself (and who else would a Thebes quote?):

"It's certainly simpler, and technically can sound much better than vinyls except for one glaring problem.  Subliminal distortion.  I always want to turn up the sound when I'm playing a record, but I almost always end of lowering the sound a bit when I'm playing a cd.  To me that's distortion at play.  Cd's at concert levels make my skin crawl. And, yes, I have cd playback of a similar quality to my vinyls playback.

That's why, aside from my car radio, I play about 95% wax.

Or try ignoring the grit and sand tossed into my ear canal by a typical cd played through most even high-end playback systems. Add a soupcon of steel while you're at it. Oh and a so subtle electrical distortion that will have you starting off at a reasonable hearing level, only to quickly surrender to fatigue, and crank that sucker down low, where the grating on nerves begins to ease.

Let's face it, lots of lps are easier on the ears, provide better overall sound, soundstage and musicality. Me, I don't want to hear every friggin note on a recording, I want music. Now if you live in some mechanical, mathematical spatial universe inhabited by those whose clothes are neatly ironed at all times, then puleeze drown yourself in digitalis. Me, I'm not ascared of some pops an whistles as I slide down the rabbit hole of musical nirvana.

Oh yes, the digital realm is such a safe place to put important things.  Like a bank vault made of swiss cheese.

Whistle while ye may, because after your zeros and ones all disappear, you'll have to entertain yourself by whistling, whilst I spin a platter."

thebes, I love your conviction....Cheers :emotion-22: :emotion-22: :emotion-22: