Throw out those needles

Matthews

I don't understand why vinyl has made such a comeback? To me, a pain in the rear!

This technology (laser reading of black vinyl phonograph records) really shows what Joseph Campbell used to call "getting lost in the metaphor"--it's the typically nearly religious aspects of a technology and time which become the parts of our post-modern society that "feel better" rather than are actually better.

Don't get lost in the metaphor or you'll find yourself paying $15K for turntables...instead of focusing on things that really matter like better loudspeakers and room acoustics (...and better mastered music ;) ).

Chris

• Like 3

You know if they supplied a Soundforge click and scratch software streaming filter with that price some people might jump on it. What about the rumble, wow, pitch correction for off center holes, warps, high frequency noise, RIAA curves, optical error rates?

JJK

• Like 1

I've had a laser turntable for years.  It's called a CD PLAYER.  :lol:

+++

The answer to "why is vinyl making a comeback" is, who knows for sure? 

Since it's certainly not for the technology I think it's emotional and nostalgic for the older generation.  It brings us a feeling of times gone by.  As today's population gets older they have more disposable income and can now afford some of the more expensive things they couldn't have as a kid, Dual turntables, Bang & Olfson, et al. 

I would bet the B side of my last 45 RPM that the demographic for buying those things is over 50 and very few of the millennials are buying them.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I don't understand why vinyl has made such a comeback? To me, a pain in the rear!

I will never comprehend this thinking, Matthews.  It isn't a "comeback."  It never went anywhere anymore than the music of Bach did when he died and others succeeded him.  "Vinyl" and other media are carriers for MUSIC.  If one loves music one will enjoy it from the source it's on, not go "Oh, I can't listen to that because it's on a medium I disagree with."  It's plumb strange to many of us.  No criticism, just puzzlement.

Two of my favorite recordings are on 78s!  Paul Whiteman with George Gershwin at the piano on his acoustic recording of Rhapsody in Blue from 1922, and Gene Krupa with Benny Goodman performing "Sing, Sing, Sing" from 1944.  BTW, that Krupa recordings sounds FAR better than most of the "loudness wars" crap of the past years in "modern" formats.

Diversity, my friend.  Some of us love it and will not do without the music just because of the medium.  I don't listen to grooves, nor do I listen to bits.  I listen to music!

Dave

PS - As mentioned, that technology is over 30 years old.  Never been perfected.  Great idea, though.  Personally, I believe eventually we'll use very high resolution flatbed scanners to read the image, then use an algorithm to convert it to sound.  As I've no issue at all with well engineered digital I'd put my turntables away if it worked well enough.

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

I will never comprehend this thinking, Matthews.  It isn't a "comeback."  It never went anywhere anymore than the music of Bach did when he died and others succeeded him.  "Vinyl" and other media are carriers for MUSIC.  If one loves music one will enjoy it from the source it's on, not go "Oh, I can't listen to that because it's on a medium I disagree with."  It's plumb strange to many of us.  No criticism, just puzzlement.

Two of my favorite recordings are on 78s!  Paul Whiteman with George Gershwin at the piano on his acoustic recording of Rhapsody in Blue from 1922, and Gene Krupa with Benny Goodman performing "Sing, Sing, Sing" from 1944.  BTW, that Krupa recordings sounds FAR better than most of the "loudness wars" crap of the past years in "modern" formats.

Diversity, my friend.  Some of us love it and will not do without the music just because of the medium.  I don't listen to grooves, nor do I listen to bits.  I listen to music!

Dave

PS - As mentioned, that technology is over 30 years old.  Never been perfected.  Great idea, though.  Personally, I believe eventually we'll use very high resolution flatbed scanners to read the image, then use an algorithm to convert it to sound.  As I've no issue at all with well engineered digital I'd put my turntables away if it worked well enough.

Oh come on Dave!

We all know that you like listening to 78s because you have collected all of "Two Black Crows" copies and love to listen too them religiously! :)

Rog

• Like 1

I think it's emotional and nostalgic for the older generation

...my thoughts, as well

If one loves music one will enjoy it from the source it's on

...bulls eye

Diversity, my friend. Some of us love it and will not do without the music just because of the medium. I don't listen to grooves, nor do I listen to bits. I listen to music!

very well stated, my friend

Putting down turntables and vinyl was not my intention.  I think it is wonderful it still has a place in our ever so busy "mainstream".  The nostalgia is one of undeniable dimensions.  Simply stated, it is just not for me, that is all.

Rock on with that vinyl ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 2

Try eating a digital hamburger, Roger.  Think you'll find you prefer analog.

Anyway, you know damn well I am about music and will take it in any form from a cylinder to a supercomputer.  Hell, I'd even listen to you "sing" for a couple of minutes.  Granted, I'd prefer that to take place in the Klipsch lab anechoic chamber...

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

Putting down turntables and vinyl was not my intention. I think it is wonderful it still has a place in our ever so busy "mainstream". The nostalgia is one of undeniable dimensions. Simply stated, it is just not for me, that is all

Good to hear.  As you know or will learn, I make it a point NEVER to think I have any ideas about what another person hears or their musical motivations.  My own statement was purely personal.  Note I said I didn't understand it, not that it was wrong.  Such a vast world of recorded music out there!  Soon, our music center project will begin to archive historic recordings.  I'll certainly make links to them available here.  I believe many will be surprised at what they hear compared to their expectations.

Dave

• Like 1

The small but healthy resurgence in popularity of vinyl records is completely consistent with a renewed preference for motion pictures to be made on film, photographic stills made on film, renewed interest in packfilm cameras (ex: Polaroid and Fuji), slow real food movement, and printed books. All of this has at least one motif in common, and that is what I have come to call the "precious factor." It's a desire to invest in authenticity which can be held, felt, smelled, and most of all treasured.

It's hard to be in love with a file of bits on a computer. Compare that to how special people treat their prized possessions. Do you have any prized possessions? If not, you may not be a gatherer or collector. I think you will find that people who line up behind records, film and books, are by nature those who treasure certain kinds of possessions. I've never met anyone who treasured a file.

In simple language, people can love records, paper photographs, reels of 8mm film, polaroids and books. Hold it, turn it over, enjoy the feel, the look, the sound of it. It is tangible. It feels like an proper investment in goods. You can put trust in the LP that five years from now, you can pull it out play it. Likewise the book. The kind of trust I refer to is an emotional trust, not a statistical one. Files don't engender emotional trust. A book feels like it will last your lifetime.

The view that doesn't apply is the straight technology view. X is better than Y when measured...blah, blah, blah. That's not really the right scale to compare say, LPs and CDs. Besides which, those who prefer vinyl think that it sounds better regardless of contemporary measurements. I know many people who report more reading enjoyment from a book, than a Kindle file. And this is because all experiences are multi-dimensional, and at least a few dimensions are psychological. We are not robots.

You can dig deeper yet and discover there is a fairly significant technology backlash in western culture. And that no doubt plays a part. I'm not in any way suggesting anyone should go out and buy records and books. Because if you were one of those people, you'd already be doing that. They are mostly people who never quite left the launching pad for "digital world." The inched forward, but kept a foot in the hard copy world. Finding the New World to be less than promised, they just reversed course, or backed up. I think the people I've followed in this like the ability to own small treasures that are real and tangible and trustworthy. It looks like it is a growing phenomenon.     

• Like 2

I think Chris A. has shown in some cases a lot more attention to detail is shown by mastering engineers when cutting masters for vinyl. As opposed to "just make it really compressed and LOUD for CD masters, people will love it if its louder".

Not quoting Chris here but some fictitious record producer.

Edited by babadono

Anyway, you know damn well I am about music and will take it in any form from a cylinder to a supercomputer.

Hell, I'd even listen to you "sing" for a couple of minutes.

I think I'll wait for the album to come out.

• Like 1

Well my old vinyl collection went to what turned out to be a good cause for life.

I gave them to a Starbucks manager back when SB was brand new, he then ended up the owner, when the wife and i go downtown we never pay for anything at the Bucks :emotion-44: :emotion-44: :emotion-44: :emotion-44: :emotion-44: :emotion-44:   :emotion-21:

• Like 2

Anyway, you know damn well I am about music and will take it in any form from a cylinder to a supercomputer.

Or wait even longer for the Greatest Hits compilation.... 

• Like 1

Or wait even longer for the Greatest Hits compilation.... 

On the K-Tel label? :)

• Like 2