Finally picked up a pair of Forte II's, now I need bucking magnets

erdric

A beautiful pair of 1995 OO Forte II's.

I owe/blame it all on jhawk92. Smile.gif I bought his KG1.5's and a KV-3 for my father. He's in Connecticut and I'm in Massachusetts so I drove to his house. He was kind enough to demo his setup (Chorus II, Forte II, Academy, KG1.2, and Paradigm sub) I left knowing I had to move up from my KG-4's to at least the Fortes.

I found a local buyer with a pair on Ebay, emailed him to see if he would pull the auction, and the rest is history. They sound amazing and blend much better with my SVS than the KG-4's did, which is saying something.

Now my problem is the magnetic fields put off by the Forte II's. Room layout requires me to keep the speakers about 16" from either side of the TV. I'm not getting color distortion at that distance but I'm getting ripples moving left to right across the screen. If I move the Fortes far enough away the ripples disappear. A search of the forum suggests that bucking magnets should be available for these speakers. I sure hope so. I'll have to call Trey to see.

One question, should I just do the woofer first and see if it solves the problem or should I do all the magnets at once? I've never opened up a speaker so I'm a bit nervous about it. I'd like to minimize the possibility of me screwing something up.

Anyway, I'm really happy I went to jhawk92's house for the other speakers. He's a great guy and has been very helpful in my decision making process.

The new setup:

Mains: Forte II's

Center: KV-3

Surrounds: RS-3's (soon to be the KG-4's)

Sub: SVS 20-39PCi

Next up:

Academy to replace my KV-3

Rotel 1075 amp/1066 prepro

This message has been edited by erdric on 08-24-2002 at 09:09 PM

We seem to all have a way of encouraging upgrades in others, don't we Smile.gif

Your experience sounds familiar -- I upgraded from my KG-4/KV-3/SS-1 setup to Forte/KV-3/SS-1 then to Chorus/Forte/SS-1. Still gotta change out those SS-1s to RS-3s (let me know when you want to sell yours - I need them in white). I'd use the KG4s for rears if I had the room, but alas...

Enjoy the new setup -- I still remember how wonderful the Forte's sounded the first time I heard them!!

Doug

------------------

My System

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

-- I still remember how wonderful the Forte's sounded the first time I heard them!!

Attached to a RSP-1066 is like listening to them for the first time all over again. I THOUGHT I knew how good they sounded.

enjoy

j

RSP-1066/RB-985, Forte II x 4, Modified Quartet Center

>>Your experience sounds familiar<<

Doug,

Actually, I've noticed that too. I remember some of our past discussions about upgrading. I know a pair of Chorus are in my future.cwm30.gif

>>RS-3s (let me know when you want to sell yours - I need them in white).<<

I'm still undecided about selling the RS-3's. If I do I'll email you to see if you still want them before I offer them to anyone else. My wife is putting up a small fight about putting the KG-4's in the back. The reason I got the RS-3's in the first place was to keep the room from being dominated by speakers (her words). If I win I may keep the RS-3's just in case she has a fit in the future. I do hope to sell them though.

Having said that, my non-HT wife noticed the difference between the KG-4's and Forte II's right away. I was kind of surprised because other than the SVS she never notices any of the upgrades I make.

>>Attached to a RSP-1066 is like listening to them for the first time all over again.<<

Jerohm,

I can't tell you how happy I am to read that! I was blown away by the Rotel setup I listened to about a month ago. I now know the Rotel/Klipsch combo is my personal version of nirvana.

>>You may want to ask about Shielding Cups too. Serveral have reported better results using a combination of both<<

Shapeshifter,

Thanks. I came across a post during a search that indicated Klipsch didn't have shielding cups. Maybe that's incorrect and they just don't have them for all speakers? Hopefully they'll have both for the Forte II's so I at least have the option of using both. I'm going to try the woofers first and see if that does the trick.

>>Do know that one gets rids of magnetic fields forward and rearward while the other deals with fields from side to side.<<

Yes, I think it's the cups that deal with the lateral fields. If they don't have them and it turns out I need them I believe partsexpress sells shielding kits that might work. I'll ask Trey about it.

This message has been edited by erdric on 08-26-2002 at 01:38 PM

I ordered the bucking magnets for the woofer and tweeter this morning. They should show up Friday or Saturday. I hope so because it's killing me to look at the Fortes just sitting there unused.

BTW, there isn't a bucking magnet for the midrange. There isn't enough space behind the midrange driver to fit the magnet. Also, Klipsch does not sell shielding cups so if I need them I guess I'll head over to parts express.

JasN00b,

Southwest Connecticut.

This message has been edited by erdric on 08-30-2002 at 06:53 PM

quote:

Originally posted by erdric:

I ordered the bucking magnets for the woofer and tweeter this morning.

JasN00b,

Southwest Connecticut.

I will tell you, there is not much space between the woofer and drone either. I also fear that once you glue the magnets to the tweeters, they are permanently installed in the cabinet... unless you widen the opening... you will see what I mean. My TV doesn't seem to be bothered by the speakers, but I would sure be interested in your adventure... Pictures of your work would be great (hint hint). If you are not using them now, you might as well unscrew the drone and then the woofer. You are going to need to, in order to have access to the tweeter. Keep us posted... BTW how much per speaker for the bucking magnets?

j

Jerohm,

Yeah, I haven't opened up the speaker yet but I did look at the front compared to the back. The radiator is pretty deep so I figured there wasn't going to be much room. I'm not going to open up the speaker until I add the magnets because I've got a 2 1/2 year old. The speaker wouldn't stand a chance.

I'll take pictures of the whole process. I've read some of the different posts on this subject and I remember seeing something about filing the opening to get the tweeter back into the cabinet. I'm going to do the woofers first to see if that solves the problem. If it does then I won't bother with the tweeters. I'd like to make as minimal an intervention as possible.

Bucking magnets were $26 each for the woofer and $8 each for the tweeter. $34 total for each speaker.

This message has been edited by erdric on 08-26-2002 at 07:19 PM

erdric-

Thanks for the nice compliments. As we discussed, I love spending other people's money to upgrade! Smile.gif Glad things are moving along with your project; maybe you will have two if you get that Academy. If/when you get the Rotel equipment, I'll have to make a journey north.

No problem jhawk. I passed on the Academy for now. The KV-3 will be fine for the time being. I want the Rotel gear asap. When I do get the pre/pro and amp you're more than welcome to make the drive north.

Well, it's Friday and no Fedex. I'm probably kidding myself thinking Klipsch sent out the magnets right away but I can hope right? I still have a small chance for a Saturday delivery but I'm guessing the package will show up sometime next week. It's torture having these speakers sitting idle.

Well, here we go, post #500!

er-

Yeah, was watching that Academy go up. A bit high even for one without the tweeter, so I'd say you made the right choice. The KV-3 will suit you fine, as it's a great speaker. Besides, it sounds like you have more important items that need purchasing! Besides, since the Fortes are idle, it means you can give them another coat of Watco and really make them shine!

Lo and behold the magnets showed up late this afternoon.

I installed them on the woofers tonight. I'm going to leave them out until they're fully cured so I should know if they did the trick by tomorrow night. I hope so because MuMetal is expensive.

I was nervous as hell about gluing them in the wrong direction. The bucking magnets have a little sticker on them stating to "Place this side up. Glue other side". Problem is, there was a sticker on BOTH sides of the magnet! Great.

I put one over the top of the woofer and lowered it until I felt it being repelled. This is the correct orientation right? Please let it be the right orientation! I flipped the BM over and tried lowering it. The attraction was so strong the woofer picked up off the table when the bucking magnet was about 2-3 inches away.

Seeing as the stickers made themselves useless I went with the position that had the magnets repelling each other based on a search of this forum and HTF.

There was one thing I thought was odd. When I lowered the magnet in the right orientation it was repelling but when it was about 3/8" away it started to gently pull like it was attracted. Is that normal? The other side was DEFINITELY and STRONGLY attracted so I'm sure I glued down the side that was repelled.

Blah, blah, blah...I guess at this point I'm just venting because of DIY nerves. I'd hate to have to buy new woofers because I screwed this up. It's almost 2am, maybe I should just go to bed instead of talking to myself via the BB.

I took some pictures so I'll post them once they're scanned in.

This message has been edited by erdric on 09-05-2002 at 01:36 AM

I just got off the phone with Matt. The magnets ARE supposed to repel one another so I'm all set. Phew!

Thanks for the heads up on the Signs image. It's my new wallpaper.

BTW, I'm making some progress with my wife on having the KG-4's as rears. I may be able to sell my RS-3's after all. I sure hope so. It would certainly help with the Rotel Fund.