KA 1000 THX amp -- up in smoke

kde

Just saw my KA 1000 THX sub amp go up in smoke. Sounded like a fizzle and then saw smoke... then I cut it off. Does this mean that my amp is "done"? Wasn't looking to spend $1,500 on this component.

A bit upset as this amp was always stored in a rack... and has always been hooked up to a Furman Elite 20 PF i line conditioner. The amp is ~8 years old.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just saw my KA 1000 THX sub amp go up in smoke. Sounded like a fizzle and then saw smoke... then I cut it off. Does this mean that my amp is "done"?

Doesn't sound good. Sorry to hear that.  Call Klipsch to see if they have authorized repair centers you can take it to.  Would likely be much cheaper to repair than to replace.

• Like 1

I've been running my pair of ultra 2 subs with a Samson SX3200 power amplifier that I purchased brand new for $500. In stereo, its rated at 750 watts per channel into 8 ohms and has no problem driving them to ridiculous levels. I just use the sub pre-outs on my processor that has crossover settings. Plenty of power and these things will straight get with it! Lots of options out there for powering the subs at reasonable price points. I've never actually heard my subs with the matching amp so don't know if I'm missing anything or not but they sound great.

I actually seen that amp on eBay a couple of days ago and was tempted to give it a try but my subs are currently in storage anyway and probably will be until this time next year.  :(