RIP PAUL KANTNER

BigStewMan

• Moderators

i was going to ask about Quicksilver; but, got lazy. They don’t get mentioned in a lot of discussions. Bay Area was home to some good artists.

A lot a lotnof bands.

Blue Cheer, Sopwith Camel, Paul Butterfield from that era. Steve Miller and Biz Scaggs went to grade and high school together. Paul and Steve met in Chicago and both ended up in SF.

When Van Morrison went solo there was a period of time he was playing all over the Bay Area. You could catch him at small shows all the time.

Doobie Brothers, Pat Simmons, his father was our grade school principal. Pat would cone in once a year and play for the school on acoustic guitar,

• Like 1

That is very sad. I saw them once when they were Airplane, and many, many times as Starship, Hot Tuna and Purple Sage

were you living in "The City" during the Summer of Love?  (not sure how old you are, so don't be offended if that was before your day).

Talking to my brother the other night and told him that i would have loved to have been part of the Haight/Ashbury scene. I was a few years too young. He said he could have gotten into that as well.

You didn't ask me, but I lived in Oakland and spent much of my time in Berkeley and the Haight.  I loved the FREE concerts in Golden Gate Park and in Provo park (Berkeley).  Many name bands participated, nc the Airplane, Country Joe and the Fish, etc., etc.  One time (fourth of July) the mayor closed Haight St. to auto traffic, and the bands set up at the end of the street (where it dead ended into Stanyan at the park entrance).  People in the street and along the rooftops danced, as the rays of the setting sun streamed across the street.  In an earlier post I wrote about how the dirt jumped off of the sidewalk in rhythm.

You and Trav force me to date myself.

I was 17 and all about the music, the chemicals and the positive effects on our society .

Country Joe, Velvet Underground, Moby Grape, Mc5,Quicksilver,etc.

tc

Something that i didn’t know ... according to rockhall.com:  "August 1, 1965 The Matrix, a pizza parlor turned rock club, is opened by Marty Balin of the Jefferson Airplane. The still-legal hallucinogen LSD is sold at the bar.”

LSD wasn’t outlawed until late 1966. i’m picturing a scene at a bar when someone gets up to buy the next round and someone says “get me a hit of acid while you’re up there."

You and Trav force me to date myself.

I was 17 and all about the music, the chemicals and the positive effects on our society .

Country Joe, Velvet Underground, Moby Grape, Mc5,Quicksilver,etc.

tc

... which are all too often forgotten.

I wonder if Travis or Gary bumped into Wavy Gravy at one of those festivals?

No, but he showed up at a party a friend of mine gave.  I missed George Harrison the day he came to the Haight.  Berkeley and the Haight were great places to have a good conversation with the likes of Alan Ginsberg to Paul Goodman when they visited.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

The still-legal hallucinogen LSD is sold at the bar.” LSD wasn’t outlawed until late 1966.

Yes, and many famous people partook of it openly, then.  I won't name them, in case I'm wrong about some, but the list included seasoned movie stars, and even some Disney artists.   Some psychotherapists used it as a tool in therapy.  Dreaming while awake.  There was a good book (with a bad title) called Myself and I written about a therapy patient's positive experience with LSD taken during her sessions.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I  ran into Wavy everywhere.  San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Reno, Nevada for a friend's lighting company party, Mendocino, Davenport, Bonny Doon Beach.  Guy was a genus to be able to market that brand, at that time, to make a living at being a surviving hippie.

• Like 1

I  ran into Wavy everywhere.  San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Reno, Nevada for a friend's lighting company party, Mendocino, Davenport, Bonny Doon Beach.  Guy was a genus to be able to market that brand, at that time, to make a living at being a surviving hippie.

and uttered that iconic phrase at woodstock “...we must be in heaven, man."