Help with setup

dsidhu

Hi guys,

New to forum and Klipsch. I have heard great things about the speakers and now that we are getting our new home, we are ready to purchase some great speakers!

What is the quality difference between the reference in-wall speakers (comparable cost ones) compared to the flat panel speakers? I currently have ORB Audio speakers which we will use in another room. In comparison to the ORB Audio speakers, would the in-wall speakers blow them out of the water?

If you were going to outfit the room with 5.1 surround sound and a receiver with a budget of approximately $2500:

1. What would you recommend for in-wall speaker, flat panel or other smaller sized speaker? Three front speakers.

2. What would you choose for your Surround speakers? They will be wired.

3. What would be your sub?

Thank you!

David

post-62336-0-12460000-1454270118_thumb.j

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum David.

You are in the right place to spend some money, the people here will help you.

If it was me, I would buy used. Depending on where you're located, there are plenty of members who will let you stop by and have a listen, and there's quite a bit of great gear here for sale.

Can you give us some room dimensions and a couple other pics of the room? Our designers might rearrange your room to improve the acoustic experience :D :D :D

Mark

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum! I would personally stay away from in-wall speakers as they almost never match the performance of a good bookshelf or floor standing speaker. Also, the ability to re-arrange things is going to be important as well. I would either go with some bookshelves and a center speaker or you can place two floorstanding speakers on either side of your cabinets. If you want to buy new, the reference premier line is very highly regarded, it is important too that your front 3 speakers are the same product line which will give you a seamless soundstage.

Regarding surround, as Mark mentioned we will probably need some more photos to give you good recommendations as it looks like it may be tricky to get surround wires back behind you unless you have access to the attic above or basement below to run the wire.

For a subwoofer you have many different options. Klipsch subwoofers are good and look very nice with their copper woofers that match the rest of your system. That being said, the best value in subs is usually in the DIY space depending on how handy you are. There are sites such as Parts Express that sell all the wood pre-cut  and a matching woofer so all you need to do is glue it together and paint it and hook up the amp. You could even paint them white to blend in with your furniture.

Here is one of my favorites and is an excellent value:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7093

One general acoustics advice I would give off the bat is to address the glass sliding doors. Glass is a highly reflective surface for sound and your system will sound muddy as the sound wave will bounce off the glass and get you your ears slightly later than the sound from the speakers. If you are able to do so, some drapes you can close when putting on movies will help quite a bit to counter this and will make a huge difference, especially in the clarity of voices.

• Like 1

Thank you Mark!

Here are more pictures looking the other way (opposite of TV. These are the model home pictures and so we can set up the living room the best way possible). The living room and kitchen are all in one large room (will get dimensions) with ceilings going to a peak of 14'. 

Thank you,

David

0282_001.pdf

post-62336-0-39300000-1454273119_thumb.j

post-62336-0-70100000-1454273141_thumb.j

TWK123 thank you for the great advice! I will definitely look into the making my own sub!

Drapes - check!

We were going to run speaker wires in ground until we found out they were going to cost $1200=( So the other option was going to be to use Sewell Ghost Wire (https://sewelldirect.com/sewell-super-flat-adhesive-speaker-wire-18-awg-2-conductor-50-ft-spool-white?gclid=ckqx1puxxmocfylafgodmzcmqw#) under the carpet we lay down. We do have outlets back there if needed, but no in ground wire.

David

Welcome to the Forum

I see a lot of hard surface, everywhere.

Carpet, Draping, Acoustic panel art work will make a huge difference.

The HT people on this forum are amoung the best iv ever seen, there is no question you can ask that someone

else has not tackled already. so feel free to bounce any thing you can think of off us.

Your Local CL, as some have pointed out, is a great source to start out, who cares what kind of AV gear you end up playing with,

because this forum can and will assist you in any problem(s).

• Like 2

That is a huge room... How stuck are you on wanting your speakers in wall? With a space that large, I think you're going to be disappointed with the in walls. Also...I think you're going to need at least a couple subs to fill that type of space.

The used market will be your friend...and a DIY solution for the subs could really work well.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by kapsnb01
  • Like 1

My 2 cents, without choosing in walls or free standing speakers is that is a difficult room to work with - meaning balancing the sliding doors, furniture, the kitchen, and probably a bit of WAF too boot. My guess is there will have to be a compromise on what can be done. I have a similar situation where the living room and kitchen roll from one spot to the other. Big screen tv and Cornwalls is what I've chosen (2 channel) because putting 5.1 or more isn't feasible. Good luck with your project! Everyone loves a good project.

• Like 2

Hi David, welcome to the forum!  :emotion-21::emotion-19::emotion-46:

I agree with others, in-wall speakers have their place, but when setting up 5.1 in a living room area I prefer the flexibility of floorstanders and bookshelf speakers.  Wives have a propensity for moving the furniture as it fits their fancy.  :cool:

If you don't mind posting in what area you live, there are some people here who are unbelievable at finding great bang-for-your-buck deals.

• Like 1

You guys are awesome! I didn't expect so much great feedback! We are in Bakersfield, CA.

I'm not stuck on doing in walls, but I didn't want something bulky on the counter or floor. Have to keep the wife happy by not having the speakers take over her room (Except when they are on).

As for the subs, we are going it wired in the far left  wall (if you were standing and looking at the tv). Where would you recommend the 2nd? Or should I go larger on the one sub? We do have outlets in the floor in the middle of the room as well (behind couches).

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Bakersfield.  I think our search guru's can find you some deals, especially if you have just a bit of patience.  :emotion-21:

+++

WAF:  We are all very sensitive to wives "input."  If we try to "sell" you on something that won't pass the WAF, let us know.  I'll tell you right now that especially for pre-owned, this group is very strong on big Heritage speakers because the sound is unbelievable.  The large speakers are high performance within your budget, but WAF may be another thing..

Subs:  Let me throw something out for you to consider.  This will take half your budget, but you will not be upgrading your subs for a while.  This will give you a substantial home theater experience that will work with nearly any speakers you can pair up with them.

See what you think of a pair of very affordable, very easy to put together DIY 18" subs, complete.  About $1400 including paint, glue, cables, two knock down boxes, and an amp 3,000 wpc into two 4 Ohm channels with DSP to EQ the subs.  This combo is considered a can't-be-beat value for incredible sub-woofage.  You can do all your research and still come back to this.

Two of these combos, driver and flat pack, $400 ea:  Ultimax 18

And one of these, $400:  Inuke 6000 w/ dsp

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I've got plenty of time, in no rush. The house is about two months away from being completed.

Love the look of the Heritage as well! Just to get an architectural idea (if $ not an issue) of a set up, what would a typical setup for 5.1 be, using Heritage speakers? Do you use the same type for all 5 or mix it up? Sorry, might be a silly question.

The SUB set up that you pointed out was exactly what I was looking at after twk123 mentioned it. 18" is currently out of stock, hopefully it will be back soon.

Any recommendations on AV Receiver? I currently have an Elite SC-05 Pioneer which has done great for the past few years and it will go into another room.

Thank you,

David

• Like 1

Love the look of the Heritage as well! Just to get an architectural idea (if $ not an issue) of a set up, what would a typical setup for 5.1 be, using Heritage speakers? Do you use the same type for all 5 or mix it up? Sorry, might be a silly question.

Absolutely a good question!  It really comes down to budget and what you can find in your area.  With a couple of months to look for something, something good can be found.  Specific mixing and matching recommendations should be done by others who know more about that than I do.

The SUB set up that you pointed out was exactly what I was looking at after twk123 mentioned it. 18" is currently out of stock, hopefully it will be back soon.

Actually, I have that exact 15" sub too.  They are rated for 800 wpc and I use a 500 wpc Yung plate amp.  Due to having a used amp I was able to get into the Reference 15 w/amp for about $350.  It is absolutely fantastic.  My needs are mostly music, but I assure you it can bring you out of your seat.  The main drawback is the Reference 15 is good to about 20 Hz and the 18's can dig deeper, louder, and are really just superior in every way for only $133 more per sub.  If you can get the 18's it would be a better match for your large room.

The fine folks over at AVSforums.com DIY Speakers and Subs can give you charts and graphs but the 18" sub is larger but only a little larger than my 15, and the amount of air it can move is something like 50% more.  As far as being able to pressurize a room, when you build two of those with 3,000 watts available to each sub (the claimed power ratings are overstated) the savings is in building the second sub.

Any recommendations on AV Receiver? I currently have an Elite SC-05 Pioneer which has done great for the past few years and it will go into another room.

Making a purchase decision on the 18" subs will help make the next decision within the budget for the the AVR.  If you already have a Pio Elite you obviously know what they can do, but a new similar type will eat up a lot of your budget.  The real advantage to buying decent subs and efficient Klipsch speakers is you don't need to put out a huge amount on a high-powered AVR.  You are going to be able to drive your 5.1 very well with a modestly priced AVR.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

So I'm sold on the 2 - 18" subs! I'm assuming my receiver would suffice for now, if I decided to use it for now and later upgrade.

Thank you - would love some input on mixing and matching and what some people have setup currently.

Thanks all the input WVU80!

• Like 1

Bakersfield, CA. ?

You are just down the road!

I do not do HT, as you can see i pass this on to the Forum at large.

What i do is Two Channel, and that is all im interested in.

Now what i will do for you, is open myself to be "The",  "It Could Be Worse" senerio.

Kind of goes like this, in the road of building the HT system of you're dreams, or having it built and wanting the next "Biggest Baddest Thing",

Simply hook up here at my place with you're wife in tow and you can show her, see honey, I Could be One of those Guys!

See, we are all here to help in any way we can.

EAW Stacks pizz off the neighbors just fine, McM Stacks are coming next, Im out to pizz off the Neighborhood.

post-57941-0-44380000-1454299695_thumb.j

post-57941-0-34260000-1454299729_thumb.j

• Like 4

Now what i will do for you, is open myself to be "The", "It Could Be Worse" senerio. Kind of goes like this, in the road of building the HT system of you're dreams, or having it built and wanting the next "Biggest Baddest Thing", Simply hook up here at my place with you're wife in tow and you can show her, see honey, I Could be One of those Guys!

LOL!  :lol:  Everybody who has a wife needs a friend like Mark! 

"But honey, Mark offered to sell those to me for only $5,000!  If we knock down one wall and put a garage door back up in its place, I think those will just fit into the living room..."

After your wife sees Mark's setup, those little 90 pound RF-7's will start to look pretty good.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 4