rate this system.

prodj101

hey everyone, I was just curious what you think of the system I have in the works. Currently, my system has SF-2 fronts, SC-1 center, SF-1 rear, and RSW-15 sub. I am planning on getting the RF-7's about 5 months down the road, and switchin over to a 2.1 system (those are my favorite. something about the simplicity and style). The RSW-15 was sort of the first step towards this system. I will be using 2- 100 watt tube amps that I built my self, a pre amp I made myself, and the second to top of the line sony SACD player.

------------------

-the forum prowler

prodj101,

It will be awesome !! But for 2 channel music I bet you will not want to use the Sub the RF-7s will put out plenty of bass and sound better without the sub for music even Hip hop or Rapp. I have RF-3 II's in my HT setup that I listen to Music on often and find it sounds better without the Sub. Also I think 100 Watt tube amps will be over kill to say the least !!! you want need more than 15 Watts max.

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

I'm all about overkill......

------------------

Tha System

Front- SF-2

Rear- SF-1

Center- SC-1

Receiver- Cheap Pioneer

Amp for stereo Listening- Home-made tube amp 100 watt monoblocks

second to top of the line sony SACD- Technics Turntable, Pioneer Turntable, Gemini Turntable.

i don't think so. i have heard a two channel RF-7 system and yes you don't NEED a sub, but adding a sub really helped punch out those lows. Infact, I don't think I would own a two channel system without a sub, unless they were my headphones Smile.gif

The RSW-15 is a great match for what you are doing. If you wanted to jam pomps and pipes at 100+db... i would say some SVS's Smile.gif but ya know, you gotta cut it off at some point! Smile.gif or do you..... Klipsch Horns anyone?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

I used to think ALL subs were awful (including those from Klipsch) --I tried many over the years and every one of them screwed up the music. But then a friend of mine who is a Linn dealer gave me a Linn "Sizmik" subwoofer to try about 6-8 months ago and it's STILL in my system. Yep, I bought it! Even with the "freind of the owner" discount it set me back about $1200 or so, but it did things that no other sub was able to do.

I rarely admit to it, but I listen to quite a lot of 1950's and 60's organ-driven "soul jazz" (John Patton, Babyface Willette, Lonnie Smith, John Earland, Jimmy Smith, etc.) and the thumping organ-bass absoultely SNAPS into place with the Linn without coloring or slowing down the music in ANY noticeable way. I don't think I need the sub for most of the music I listen to, but the Linn doesn't HURT any of it either.

All in all, the Sizmik an excellent (if pricey) addition to the Cornwalls. I can reccomend this product without any reservations.

And what about Larry Young and Billy Gardner? They should have been on the list too--especially Garnder, his playing on those mid-60's George Braith LPs is still astonishing.

By the way, any one else out there love soul-jazz organ? Or am I alone in Klipsh-land on this one?

Allan,

You purchased the LINN Sizmik! Smile.gif Well well I just auditioned this little gorgeous cube of sub bass and...very musical,great blend,great...finish.Ah the LINN quality wood finishes are second to none.

I will have one by the year end. Smile.gif

I must have one,me must buy.Maybe another Sizmik down the long road to audio nirvana.

Happy to hear you like the Sizmik,as too many think small sub bass cubes can only be loud and deprived of musicality.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

jeez, whats with you guys and low power stuff? I understand that you don't need alot to drive Klipsch speakers, however, alot of headroom is always nice. Plus, theres a good chance I could be using it for DJ events, which I have done about 6 of in the past.

------------------

Tha System

Front- SF-2

Rear- SF-1

Center- SC-1

RSW-15 for the sub

Receiver- Cheap Pioneer

second to top of the line sony SACD- Technics Turntable, Pioneer Turntable, Gemini Turntable.

prodj101

What you don't seem to understand is that with 100+ Db speakers you have major headroom with 10 Watt amplifiers !!!! The problem with most high powered amps is that there sweet spot of operation is way above a usualable level on a Klipsch speaker so they never achieve there best capable sound. While are low powered tube amps sound there best at there lower output at say 5 to 7 watts. Are you seeing are point here ??

Craig

In my experience high power amps are needed for ultimate dynamics even with high efficiency speakers. I used LaScalas with a 200wpc Dynaco and used every bit of the amp. I don't listen as loud now but I'm content now with less than lifelike volume now too.

And after time spent listening to low powered amps used fullrange I find the dynamic freedom and clarity of a big-hog SS amp is refreshing. At the Lima show I got sick to death of SETs and found a friend's big JBL horns driven by QSC SS amps much more lifelike than many of the SET-horn rigs I heard there.

I figure a guy with an SET is getting the sound he likes, fine. But he ain't getting all the dynamics, no way. It's a tradeoff.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

no, you don't understand, I love extremely loud music and I'm a dj, incase you didn't read my screen name. You don't get by as a dj with a 5 watt amp.

------------------

Tha System

Front- SF-2

Rear- SF-1

Center- SC-1

RSW-15 for the sub

Receiver- Cheap Pioneer

TBrennan,

I wasn't at Lima and I'm not a Set man myself but wasn't most of the set amps you heard there in a 2-5 Watt range. I'm not into that at all I heard one at your Horn meet I attended a few months back and wasn't impressed it wasn't even able to drowned out the talking in the room !!! I'm not saying that he should get a 3 Watt set amp at all. I'm just saying that 100 watts is way more than is needed with a 100+ db speaker period and he is talking about 100 watt tube amp that's like a 400 watt SS amp. My heresy's don't need all the 20 watts my Push Pull Scott has to offer and all the dynamics you can stand !!

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 08-27-2002 at 10:45 AM

sorry to argue with you NOS, but, I am not the type of person who would buy something just because it's all that they need.

------------------

Tha System

Front- SF-2

Rear- SF-1

Center- SC-1

RSW-15 for the sub

Receiver- Cheap Pioneer