whats up with my Klipschorns?

2Bmusic

Could we see some photos of the rear enclosure modifications? There have been several posts of different ways of doing this mod. 

YES as soon as I have time. They are black and I am not sure how the pics will come out. I do not think they are the original black since the paint is not smooth everywhere.  I am pulling 2 wks of 24 hr call.  I definitely want to find out what I have.   Thank you!

• Like 1

What about after market Cross overs and Mid range horns?   Or should I leave them stock?

You have real nice cross overs already.

Some guys like to modify their speakers, I for one like my Klipsch all Klipsch and you will loose money on your investment on a hot rod speaker just like a hot rod car!

The one exception is I would change out the K-69 on Jubilees for the TAD driver if money were no object, but that is just me :)

Roger

I do not understand. I do not have Jubilee's.

What about after market Cross overs and Mid range horns?   Or should I leave them stock?

You have real nice cross overs already.

Some guys like to modify their speakers, I for one like my Klipsch all Klipsch and you will loose money on your investment on a hot rod speaker just like a hot rod car!

The one exception is I would change out the K-69 on Jubilees for the TAD driver if money were no object, but that is just me :)

Roger

I do not understand. I do not have Jubilee's.

Just saying that is the one exception I can think of where I would change out the Klipsch pieces on a speaker, but it is expensive.

• Like 1

Oh...OK Thanks Roger!

I ask about upgrading because best possible sound is what I am looking for. 

OTOH, at this time, the khorns well surpass my former snells.   A/B today might say something different, but from memory of 20 yrs ago, the khorns are wonderful. I could never again own LaScalas after these khorns.  In addition, since the back is closed in, corner placement is not critical.   Seriously, regardless of price point, I have never heard anything so wonderful!

• Like 2

Oh...OK Thanks Roger!

I ask about upgrading because best possible sound is what I am looking for. 

OTOH, at this time, the khorns well surpass my former snells.   A/B today might say something different, but from memory of 20 yrs ago, the khorns are wonderful. I could never again own LaScalas after these khorns.  In addition, since the back is closed in, corner placement is not critical.   Seriously, regardless of price point, I have never heard anything so wonderful!

Give yourself a couple of months (or more) listening to them as they are, then more time after any amplifier changes. 

I would still put them in a corner for corner loading, even though they have closed backs.  Since they do have backs, you can aim them at your main listening position -- they don't have to be tightly in the corner, thanks to the backs. 

Gently press a yardstick flat against the front of mid/tweet section (the "top hat") of each Khorn, note where the yardstick touches each side wall, and put some absorbent material there.  A couple of 2 foot squares will be plenty.  Keep all obstructions at least 4 feet from each Khorn.  Chris A has written extensively about dealing with corner horns and room acoustics, so you may want to search the forum under his name.  Naturally, put some absorbent material at the first reflection points, a well.  Heyser and others have stressed the need for a thick rug and a high ceiling for corner horns.  Lacking a high ceiling, one can put absorbers on the ceiling at the first reflection points there.  I am certainly NOT advocating a dead room.  There are few things worse, acoustically.  Diffusors or diffusing furniture, shelves, art objects, books, etc. can help, without killing the sound.

People have had varying results with mods.  It is difficult to A/B a stock Khorn with a modified Khorn because after you mod one and listen, you need to switch the stock and the modded one to opposite corners, unless your room is perfectly symmetrical and the furniture is highly similar on each side.

After upgrading to stock AK-4 crossover networks (you seem to have AK-4s or AK-5s) and stock K401 horns instead of the original K400s  in 2005, I was impressed with the sound, but a fair number of CDs still didn't sound too good, although some were excellent.  I started collecting SACDs (mostly classical), and they sounded better, perhaps because the engineers and producers were mixing them with tender loving care, since they knew they were going to audiophiles.  Both SACDs and Blu-rays sound great on my Khorns (with Heritage center and surrounds for Blu-ray).  For a while, I did not listen to most of my ordinary CDs.  Then a funny thing happened.  When I played my old, problem, CDs they sounded great!  I don't know if it was burn-in, or something else.  The other change I made was to let my system (all solid state) warm up about 15 minutes before each playing.  I know most engineers believe that warm up doesn't make a difference with solid state, but a former, now banned, member of the forum suggested that power transformers may behave differently after warm up.

The reason people go from AK4s to AK5s is that Klipsch put more wall sealers on the backs of newer Khorns (sometime before they changed to closed backs).  One of the forum members (I think Larry) said he liked the AK4s better.  Another replaced his Khorn tweeters (K77s) with Crites drop-in replacement tweeters, which many people seem to prefer, and didn't like them as much and went back to the original K77s.  Stuff happens.  So, I'd wait a while before considering mods.

I considered mods, but my Khorns in my 4,260 cu.ft. room with a higher than average ceiling sound so good, I decided not to mod them.

Edited by garyrc

Oh...OK Thanks Roger!

I ask about upgrading because best possible sound is what I am looking for

The best possible sound varies from ear to ear, but this would be a good start.

bms-4592nd-mid-size250.gif

these

vtrac42.jpg

these

bcp251.jpg

and a set of these

20150308_212919.jpg

or these wouldn't hurt either

flat%20stack.jpg